PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/30/13 11:19 PM
This cut will show you why I don't sing a lot of Rock...just don't have the voice for it. This is a rough demo...still needs some touching up, musically.

This is another of the BIAB songs for which I no longer have the BIAB tracks...just this stereo mix-down. So, unfortunately, I can't give you the BIAB tracks info. Everything is BIAB except the guitar, which is my effort on Rock (not my strongest genre!)

I'm singing the lead vocal and the three harmony parts on the chorus.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11642647

Don't Come Knockin'

(v1)
Hope you're proud of your cheatin' self
Cuz I'm taking you off the shelf
Sending you on down the road
Your childish game is just too old
All you have to offer m
Is your infidelity
You've left me feeling empty and so cold

CHORUS
Don't come knockin' on my front door
I ain't got nothin' for you no more
I've grown tired of all your alibis
And don't come knockin' at my back door
Things ain't the way they were before
I'm fed up with all your cheatin' lies

(v2)
I gave you everything
My heart, my soul and all that bling
But I guess that ain't enough
My love - my dreams - and all that stuff
Cuz you had to cross the line
I guess you thought that I was blind
But Honey I saw every thing
Guess I saw too much

CHORUS

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

(v3)
Hope you find what turns you on
Cuz honey what we had is gone
I can't let you hang around
To build me up then bring me down
Don't come runnin' back to me
I'm through with you just let me be
That string around my finger just came unwound

CHORUS

CHORUS

TAG
Don’t you even come knockin’

(c) 2012 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers, BMI
Posted By: Scott C Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 01:00 AM
Excellent song. Neat edge to the guitar. Excellent lyrics and well sung
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 03:36 AM
Hi Scott...

Thanks so much. We appreciate the listen and your kind words. It's not a real good genre for me (Al) but we try to write outside our comfort zone to improve our writing skills. With a good rock voice, we think this one would be pretty decent. Thanks again!

Al & Di
Posted By: boehm Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 04:33 PM
Hi Al,

nice one.
Especially like the lead guitar.

Happy New Year

Guenter
Hi Al and Di
Nothing wrong with this. Dont do yourself down.
Excellent slow and heavy Rocker!
Loved the guitar break and its dead stop and then its reprise in the Outro.
Go into 2014 with more of these great ideas.
Happy New Year
Ian
Posted By: ROG Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 07:06 PM
Hi Al and Di.

I agree with Ian - what's not to like?

Good powerful sound with a great drum track and excellent guitar solo.

Vocals? Absolutely fine. Just have the confidence that you can do this stuff.

Good mix, nice stereo and well produced. All in all, an extremely good package.

ROG.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 09:12 PM
Hi Guenter...

Thank you very much. I'm glad the guitar track worked for you! Happy new year to you, too.

Al & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 09:30 PM
Good Evening Ian...

You are much too kind. We thank you very much. It is encouraging, indeed. I (Al) sincerely appreciate the confidence. perhaps it's just because it's not a common genre for me (us) that I'm not sure about the quality of the vocal. I'm very happy with the music, as is Di. I'll try to be a little more optimistic with my vocals! Singing for me is a struggle...it's not a natural ability. What you heard there was the 9th or 10th attempt. Now my wife, on the other hand, just opens her mouth and out comes this beautiful sound. She says singing for her is a simple as scratching an itch. I'm jealous!!!!

Thanks again. We both are very happy to read your kind words. We hope 2014 is a spectacular year for you.

Al & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 12/31/13 09:33 PM
Hi ROG...

As we told Ian, we are very pleased to read your kind words of encouragement. Thank you so very much. The guitar work, the arrangement and the mix weren't all that difficult. Buit I really had to work on the vocal. We are delighted you enjoyed it as much as you did. Thanks! And a very happy New year to you and yours...

Al & Di
Posted By: rsdean Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 12:17 AM
Al,

Excellent job on this - I thought the vocal was really good... Loved the whole thing!

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 02:09 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the listen and the kind words. We're delighted you liked it. And I personally (Al) appreciate the encouragement on the vocal. Thanks again! best to you in 2014. It's already 2014 over there in the UK...four more hours here in Tennessee.

Al & Di
Posted By: gibson Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 11:41 AM
Al,

I agree with the above posters, a sterling effort!! and hear no problems with the vocals
Your guitar skills are good, I enjoyed the solo and the dips of the trem arm and hope that you also did "the facial contortions" synonymous with a solo like that!!

Have a good New year, I look forward to listening to more of your songs in the future.

Alyn
Alan,

Cool chorus. Loved the guitar work - great tone!

A few suggestions (for future "rock" mixes - since this one is gone).
The vocal could be mixed "nestled-down" a bit - so you can really CRANK it up to hear the guitars and drums "rockin'" (the drums sound great, too!)... This vocal is mixed more like a country song - more up-front and crisp (just my opinion, of course). Also thought this could have been sped up some. And a lot more harmonies on the chorus.

Not to "take away" from the song -'cause it was fun!

Happy New Year to you and Di!

floyd
Posted By: dani48 Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 04:16 PM
Hi, Al !:))

Exceptionally good sound on this
most interesting tune of yours !
Enjoyed listening to it !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 09:44 PM
Alyn...

Well, of course I did the facial contortions! What respectable picker wouldn't...ha!!!

Glad you liked it. And thanks so much for your kind comments. We sure do appr4eciate it! Wishing you the very best...

Al and Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 09:52 PM
Good Afternoon, Floyd,

Glad you liked it! thanks for those real kind words.

And you are right...I did mix this one as thought it were a Country or Folk tune, where lyric and story are king. But in Rock, it's more the beat and melody. I've already made a note of your suggestions for my next Rock mix. I have a couple of others, mostly with Di doing female lead, that I'll revisit and dial the vocal back and the percussions and bass up. The bass and drums are the "booty movers" on most Rock songs.

I did first and second part harmonies on this cut (duplicated the 2nd part, so it's on there twice). But I think you are right... loading that chorus up with more voice would give it a better Rock feel.

I appreciate all your feedback. Never hesitate to offer constructive criticism on any of our songs. The only way to improve is to be shown where you've fallen short or took a wrong turn somewhere along the way. I'll be 68 years old in March and I find I'm still learning as much now as I did when I was young.

Thanks again, my friend! Wishing you everything good.

Al (and Di)
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/01/14 09:53 PM
Hi Dani...

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your very kind comments. We are delighted you are enjoying our music! Best to you in 2014!!!

Al & Di
Posted By: olemon Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/02/14 04:12 PM
Well done. I loved the lead guitar. There are a few spots in the verses and chorus where a few lead licks might work too. I want more....
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/03/14 05:05 AM
oleman...

Thank you so much for the listen and the review. We thought about putting that lead guitar in the background in a couple of places but decided to keep it simple instead. But, we might revisit it and see what happens. Thanks again...appreciate it. And hope 2014 is a great year for you!

Al & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/03/14 01:04 PM
Al, Fun song. The vocal was good and the guitar playing was great. I agree with floyd on the mix. Keep em coming, Tom
Nice job.

The lead was really rocking. I might would have brightened it a bit and kicked it up a few db.

You say rock...... nahhhh.... I say country. Have you been listening to the stuff coming out of Nashville in the past so many years? This fits right into what is now called country. Pick up the tempo a bit.... get an attitude.... and sing this baby. I could hear any number of the new male singers covering this.

Hoping I'm not stepping in it here..... I'd do a rewrite on some of the lines. (no I'm not telling you which ones) I think someof them are a bit to "pretty" where as this should be a gritty, attitude filled rant about a cheating no good tramp who was thrown out the door.... IMHO... you have an excellent idea here.... refine it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/03/14 06:09 PM
Hey Guitarhacker...

Thanks for the listen and the good review. We've considered bringing up the tempo about 6 bpm. I'll take another look at the lyric and see where we can make it a little more edgy...rant-like, as you suggested. You're never out of line with us with constructive criticism and suggestions...that's how we get better at our craft. So always feel free to give an honest opinion. We do appreciate when suggestions are offered respectfully...as you did. Thanks!

And yeah, most of the stuff out of Nash-Vegas these days is closer and closer to Pop-Rock. I have always maintained that Country music is, more or less, Rock music from 15 years back with better production. That's not always true but often times it is. We debated on the genre and never did explicitly decided which way we thought it should go. It has enough elements of both.

Again, thanks so much for the helpful and nice review. We certainly appreciate it! Best to you...

Al and Di
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/04/14 11:42 PM
hi al david that's some great guitar chops and vocals are very good keep them coming eric
Posted By: Al-David Re: Don't Come Knockin' - Al Singing Again - 01/05/14 03:51 AM
I just found a copy of the BIAB tracks I used on this one:

2.MGU
Key=Eb , Tempo 82, Length (m:s)=3:54
4 bar intro.
Style is _ROCKGTG.STY (NorthernRock w/GrittyElGt(75 RS))
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in style: 784:Bass, Electric, PopCrossover Sw16 075
RealTracks in song: 1263:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopShiningSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 878:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyA-B Sw16 075
RealTracks in style: 625:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Rascal Sw 075
RealDrums in Style: NashCrossovrSw16^06-SnClS2,SOHBo
© PG Music Forums