PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Mac First Attempt - 12/31/13 02:02 PM
After getting BIAB for Christmas thanks to the kind generosity of my wife and family, I thought I had better get around to using it.
Now for an old fogey like me, this is a steep learning curve, but so far am loving it.

I thought I had better start with a simple open chords type song, so I wrote this especially I Ride the Range Its a bit of nonsense and really just to see what my new toy could do.
I used George 1 sty and added a solo pedal steel, plus of course me singing and strumming guitar
All done in Band in a Box (I am still learning that before I go onto Real tracks) and then dumped into Reaper to alter volumes etc.

Cheers Steve

I also did a quick video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv7RGPWnl7U
Posted By: sixchannel Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 04:22 PM
Happy New Year, Steve Mac
I enjoyed this lots. Great title and I understand the thought behind it - very good indeed.
My personal Jury is out on the banjo in the BT (probably cos I'm a Brit - loL!)it seems too frentic compared to the rest of the backing but thats a minor picky point.
Welcome to the Showcase!
cheers
ian
Posted By: boehm Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 04:28 PM
Hi Steve,

welcome to the forum.
nice first attempt.
Enjoyable listen.

Happy New Year.

Guenter
Posted By: dani48 Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 05:07 PM
Howdy Steve !:))

I join in the welcome
shoots of the others !
To be a first post it sounded
surprisingly ready already !!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: ROG Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 06:56 PM
Hi Steve and welcome.

Good song for a first post - very relaxed vocal and a nice overall sound.

I'm afraid I'm with Ian on the banjo. It sounded just a little wild for that track and it came and went very suddenly. Other than that, very pleasant listening.

ROG.
Posted By: rsdean Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 08:20 PM
Steve,

Welcome - very nice first attempt. Cool tune - I enjoyed it.

Bob
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 08:36 PM
Welcome, that is a good start so soon. Thats the good thing about BIAB, it's reletively easy. Although it'll baffle you for years with all the "buttons, options, menus". Whats that for, what'll that do etc etc.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 09:04 PM
Glad to have you making music for us! You have a great voice and boy is your first production better than mine was. Very well done, thanks for sharing! Praying you have a Happy New Year and look forward to hearing more in the coming days.

My Music
Posted By: Al-David Re: First Attempt - 12/31/13 09:40 PM
Steve...

We're pretty new here, too...just over a week. Good to "meet" you.

For a first effort, this is pretty danged good! We enjoyed your song...very nice vocals. We'll join the chorus about the banjo being somewhat out of place. Everything else in the song is mellow and relaxing but the banjo is pretty active aggressive. But, if that's the worst issue on a first attempt, you're off to a great start! keep with it...it's a great program. We use BIAB 2013 and are tickled with it, learning curve and all.

Thanks for sharing your first effort with us...a real nice listen! Hoping 2014 is real good to you!

Al & Di
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 12:08 AM
I am overwhelmed at the kind comments, especially as the standard on here is so high.
Cheers Steve oh and happy new year
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 10:43 AM
Hey, really nice starting point Steve, I think you might have raised the starting bar with that one!
Great lyrics, and choice of styles
Posted By: gibson Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 11:52 AM
Steve,

A FIRST effort, wow, I look forward to more.

I am in the same boat with the banjo but all else is good.

Best wishes for the New Year

Alyn

ps you mention Big John...that wouldn't be Big Bad John as mentioned by Jimmy Dean in the early 1960's??? would it??? laugh
Posted By: floyd jane Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 03:42 PM
Steve,

Amazingly good for right-outta-the-gate! A nice write. A good recording and mix. Great relaxed vocal...

Really looking forward to more!

Looks like your banjo player is taking some knocks - LOL..
Here is a suggestion - something to try - (we need a few more banjo RTs for the higher bpm, but played slower...).

When you select the banjo track, set it to half-time - you'll get that "backporch" type picking instead of the "lightening-fast" picking.
It doesn't always work - depends on your set tempo and the tempo of the RT. You may have to try a couple of different RTs.. (and it still might not work... but worth a try...)

floyd
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 04:42 PM
Thanks for the tip Floyd and Gibson if you watch the vid big john makes an appearance at the end
Cheers Steve
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 08:57 PM
The bango works in the chorus somewhat. I agree with most of what has been said you have embarked on the proverbial long journey that starts with a single step. Congrats. Good tune.

Rick
Posted By: cubanpete Re: First Attempt - 01/01/14 11:56 PM
Very good for the first attempt indeed. The only thing I'm not sure about is the banjo though (IMHO). The rest of it I'm good wit it. Welcome.

Mike B.
Posted By: tommyad Re: First Attempt - 01/02/14 01:24 AM
Nice first post. Keep writing and experimenting with the instrumentation. For this one the banjo doesn't work, but maybe like Floyd said half time. Your vocal sounds good. Thanks for sharing, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: First Attempt - 01/02/14 02:36 PM
Floyd beat me to the half time option. Like he said it either works or it doesn't -- you'll know the difference. And from one old fogey to another -- great first shot endeavor and welcome aboard, it's a great community!
Posted By: olemon Re: First Attempt - 01/02/14 03:03 PM
I like the song and the mix. Take a bow for your quick mastery of BB!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: First Attempt - 01/02/14 03:42 PM
Excellent first song. Sounded good to me....

And yeah... I'm in on the banjo thing... mute it or better yet delete it. It doesn't add to the song.

Minor video sync to the music issues in the video.... but that has nothing to do with the music. Loved the Crocodile Dundee hat though.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: First Attempt - 01/12/14 11:16 AM
Hi Steve,

It's all been said but I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed the video and the listen.

If that's your first attempt working on a song with a BIAB backing, I'm already looking forward to where you go as you gain more experience with the program.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: First Attempt - 01/14/14 12:03 AM
Hi Steve and welcome to the Users Showcase!

What a cool first post. Nice video and song.

I really enjoyed it.

Josie
© PG Music Forums