PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand FINGERPRINTS - 12/31/13 04:54 PM
Some of you may recognize this as a radical reharmonization of a tune by the greatest composer since Ellington/Strayhorn (my opinion, of course, but if you can suggest someone better be sure to let me know).

Aleck Rand: 6 and 12 string guitars, fretless bass

RT artists

Jeff Lorber: keyboards
Eric Marienthal: alto sax
Ron King: trumpet
Franklin "Third" Richardson: drums

FINGERPRINTS https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/fingerprint
Posted By: dani48 Re: FINGERPRINTS - 12/31/13 05:03 PM
Hi, Dean !:))

The Master and his guitars
at work here ! Wonderful
playing all through ! :))
Not being able to play
twinkle, twinkle on a guitar
myself I can understand the enormous
talent exposed here !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: boehm Re: FINGERPRINTS - 12/31/13 05:35 PM
Hi Dean,

really very talented, as we all know.
As Dani said: the master and his guitars.

Happy New Year.

Guenter
Posted By: robsmusic Re: FINGERPRINTS - 12/31/13 05:39 PM
I think you did a great interpretation of a Wayne Shorter classic!
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 12/31/13 10:50 PM
Rob,

You got it! The Forum is not especially jazz oriented so I never expected anyone to come 'round so fast identifying Shorter. And, many thanks for your kind remark.

Happy New Year!

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: Al-David Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 02:20 AM
Hi Dean...

We love this kind of music. I (Al) would call it NuJazz. Your touch on the strings is magnificent. I wish my Jazz playing was this smooth and delicate. And you give the fretless bass a damned good reason to be. You never fail to amaze me. you're a serious talent. I should be buying your cuts at the local music store...great innovation! Best to you

Al & Di
Posted By: floyd jane Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 03:55 PM
Dean -

Really enjoyed that. LOVED the bass! The sax was sweet!
Very nicely put together!

Happy New Year!

floyd
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 09:26 PM
Hi Al and Di,

You know, part of me is a real hard-core hard-bopper and, being realistic, I can't expect many listeners or responses. That's OK when you have just a few folks who can hear what's going on and deliver a walloping compliment. I can't tell you what a thrill it is.

Stick around and keep stirring things up with your music. The Forum (to say nothing of me) needs you. Happy New Year and thank you.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 09:31 PM
Hey Floyd,

I always count on you for clues, directions, and if necessary a good lickin' when you hear me do something that you think won't fly. You've always got my attention.

Thanks - and Happy New Year

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 09:37 PM
Hi Guenter and Dani,

You two dudes are masters of the walloping compliment and terrific musicians to boot. I'm a very lucky guy to have your kind of ears appreciating what I do. Very lucky indeed!

All the best to you in 2014!

Dean
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 09:38 PM
I just have one thing to say, Dean...

WOW!
Posted By: Al-David Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 10:02 PM
Dean,

Al here...Di is napping, along with our new puppy, Lucy. It's always been my thought that superfluous comments don't really mean that much. it's the heartfelt, honest ones that do. So, I think it's good that all the comments you've received are, indeed, heartfelt.

As far as us stirring things up on the boards, we enjoy posting our songs and getting honest feedback. There is a ton of talent here and we strive to employ all the wise advice imparted to us. I mentioned to Floyd on another thread that I'll be 68 years old in March and I find myself learning just as much now as I did when I was young.

I've written about 650 songs myself and co-written about 125 songs. I am in the process of redoing many of those older songs with BIAB. I had very poor software in the past but BIAB has opened a whole new threshold for our music. I could post a new one every couple of days but we just don't want to hog the boards. There is so much other fabulous talent here to be heard...like that DooWop - jazz guitar player that hangs out here!

Best to you, my friend. Hoping 2014 brings you prosperity and good times.

Al and Di
Posted By: cubanpete Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/01/14 11:47 PM
Wow! +2
Mike B.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/02/14 03:27 AM
Very cool interpretation and re-harmonization of FootPrints. I like it! Later, Ray
Posted By: Scott C Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/02/14 12:41 PM
Excellent guitar work. Love the tone of your guitar. Sax was pretty cool as well
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/03/14 03:16 PM
Ray,

Thanks for the kind words.

I noticed you had some interesting things to say in another Forum about Bill Evans and song "structure." However you interpret that, I was going to make a comment that no one had mentioned the dynamic element, i.e., that Bill Evans may play 7 different chords for the first 7 notes of Sentimental Mood, but these chords are "going somewhere" that makes sense harmonically. He's thinking ahead about where the chords are going to "land" at a logical pivot point in tune.

I was going to mention this element of "motion" ... then I thought to myself ... "nah" and just left it at that.

Dean
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/05/14 12:16 AM
hi aleck always engaging work love your stuff eric
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: FINGERPRINTS - 01/05/14 05:11 PM
Aleck,
I'm not a jazzer, but sure can appreciate a great performance. Outstanding work.
SD
Posted By: Icelander Re: FINGERPRINTS - 10/08/14 01:17 AM
Top stuff cool
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: FINGERPRINTS - 10/09/14 04:30 AM
Absolutely love this!! Brilliant playing! Don't be surprised if PG music contacts you to be a new real tracks artist. Spectacular!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 10/10/14 01:45 PM
Greg!

Not only did you deliver a walloping compliment but you taught me something as well. I had this idea that once a post left the "front page" (so to speak) it went straight to "PG Heaven," never to be heard from again. When I saw that some of the first tunes I submitted to the Forum had over a thousand listens I almost fell over!

Thank you to everyone of those listeners and of course to Greg Johnson. Y'know, there's something nice about coming back from the dead - I definitely recommend it!

Dean
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: FINGERPRINTS - 10/10/14 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: robsmusic
I think you did a great interpretation of a Wayne Shorter classic!

I didn't know it was Wayne Shorter but I knew it was a wonderful adaptation and performance. Not yet transformed into a big jazz fan but I never miss clicking on one of your posts. Others more knowledgeable than me show great respect for you here in the forum and that gives me cause to appreciate what you do.

Charlie
Posted By: aleck rand Re: FINGERPRINTS - 10/13/14 03:11 AM
Hi Charlie,

I must say that your comments are as heartwarming as it gets.

Thanks, man

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Posted By: tommyad Re: FINGERPRINTS - 10/13/14 03:34 AM
Dean, I'm glad somebody drug up the past because I missed this one. It may be one of your best. Just excellent playing, both bass and guitars. Very well arranged and produced. Tom
© PG Music Forums