PG Music Home
Die seewind bring Heimwee

This is a very nostalgic Afrikaans song. The lyrics translate roughly to the following:
The sea washes over the beaches, waves come and go with the tide.
My heart is full of yearning, the sea breeze brings nostalgia to me (or makes me home sick).
I constantly think about you, thus remains your love for me true always and ever, the sea breeze ....
Bridge: Dusky evenings? quiet longing, these are my prayers: come back to me...
and then just the same lyrics in slightly different word nuances.

It was a challenge at first to make the melody part to play the actual melody, as both BAIB and RB seem to only generate new melodies. My workflow was as follows:
I hummed the melody and recorded it in Real Band. Then used Real Band's Edit>Pitch Transpose Midi music to "midify" the tune. I used Piano roll to correct and adjust and finally applied Midi Super tracks to create the string Ensemble melody.
I thought that the calypso style accordion and the congas would create the right nostalgic feel for the song and I I initially wanted to have the melody also in accordion, but couldn't find an appropriate track so I settled for the strings. The reverb on the vocals might be a little over the top?
Please listen to, comment and constructively criticise.
Thanks for your time.
KarelD,
Thanks for sharing this lovely tune. I'm glad RB enabled you to capture it for posterity.
SD
KarelD,
Thanks for sharing this lovely tune. I'm glad RB enabled you to capture it for posterity.
SD
Karel,

Have tried many times to listen. Soundcloud is not cooperating - nothing happens. I thought they had fixed the problem - haven't had it happen for a while - but it is on this one (it did on your first post, too).

It only occurs with certain songs. Other Soundcloud songs play fine. And then occasionally, you hit one that just sits there....

Will try later...

floyd
Im not sure if Sound Cloud Re - encodes,this Song was uploaded in WaV format .
This was very interesting song. Song sounds very old and the timing of the song was very cool. Loved it.....
Thank you'
Thank you
hello...

Soundcloud finally cooperated enough to let us listen to this beautiful song. It's a song I would have expected to hear in a movie a few years ago. Although dated as such, it's still contemporary as well as it gives us an audio artifact of a usually forgotten World Genre.

Your voice is beautiful and the song is fabulous! I'm normally not a big fan of the accordion...but it is absolutely perfect for this song and sounds terrific. Thanks for a wonderful song!

Al & Di
Very nostalgic song indeed, good use of the midi capabilities. Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

Mike B.
Same here. Soundcloud won't play?
Hi Karel,

What a superb melody! This is exceptional. The song and the accompaniment suit your tenor range wonderfully well.

It was a pleasure to listen to smile

All the best,
Noel
Karel - I have tried a bunch - and still can't get it to play.
Even right after playing a couple of other folks tunes from Soundcloud.
It would be nice if we could all figure out what is different for those uploads that some of us can't play... I will continue to try..
floyd,

Try going back a level to Karel's homepage ...

https://soundcloud.com/karel-balt

The file should then be listed as one of Karel's collection.

(I've discovered that it's sometimes necessary to do this for whatever unknown reason.)

Regards,
Noel
Thanks for the suggestion, Noel. I have tried that with other songs that don't play for me - and it still doesn't help (same here).

When I click the Play icon, it turns to the Pause icon (as it should).
And the comment line appears. And it just sits there. I can hit the Pause icon, and it turns back to the Play icon. That's all that functions. I can go to someone else's Soundcloud post - and it plays...come back and try again... same results...

I wonder if it is something to do with a type of file that is uploaded - or maybe there are different ways to upload and one of them configures the file differently? Just guesses...
Interesting ...

Another possibility is switching back to classic view. I usually run in classic view because I have had issues with the new front end (but that was a few months ago now).

(To return to classic view, it's the Gear icon on the upper right.)
Hey Karel
So nice to see you on the forum so quickly and with such a great song! You're gonna love it here. Such wonderful and supportive people. The vocal is fantastic. I love what you did making the orchestral melody. Have to try that sometime.
Welcome and WELL DONE!
Karel,

This song put me on a quite beach in a totally relaxed frame of mind, and for that I thank you.

Welcome aboard!

Later,
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Karel,

What a superb melody! This is exceptional. The song and the accompaniment suit your tenor range wonderfully well.

It was a pleasure to listen to smile

All the best,
Noel

As I read the comments, I realized I could say it no better. Thanks for the opportunity to hear this.
Thank you so much for your kind words. The support from this forum is phenomenal!
© PG Music Forums