PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New song post: Captive of Love - 01/18/14 09:20 PM
Hi PG music friends. This is an older song which I re-recorded recently with Real tracks. The bass is live, and EZdrummer was used for the drum tracks. Otherwise it's all real tracks. This, along with the others I've posted are on an independent release CD I put together "Songs from the Box". Hope you like it. Take care all!! Greg

http://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/master-gregjohnson-captive-of
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/18/14 10:12 PM
Greg, I love it, it's reminiscent of bands I love such as The Attractions , the las and a hint of The stone Roses. Again just love it.
I want to be you when I grow up (I'm 53)
Cheers Steve
Posted By: jphillips Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/18/14 10:28 PM
Greg:

This song is very catchy. It reminds me a great deal of Marshall Crenshaw, who I always admired as a songwriter.

Good job.

John
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/18/14 10:40 PM
Hey Greg,

Loving it here too. Great retro vibe. I'm on my third listen. LOL!

Josie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 01:05 AM
Thanks. It sounds like you and I are pretty much equally long in the tooth. Appreciate the kind words!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 01:06 AM
Much thanks. I liked that Marshall Crenshaw vibe as well. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 01:07 AM
Thanks Josie. Really appreciate all your kind support. Really liked your last one-pure fun! Take care. Greg
Posted By: TerryB Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 01:47 AM
Greg,

Really like the song and their is a nice mix between your vocal and the track. If I was going to look at one thing to improve it I would look at how you EQ'ed the drums. It sounds like to me all the low end like the kick is missing. The bass is there and solid but I would normally expect to hear the kick drum along with it. The rhythms track nicely, but on my monitors I am missing the low end of the kick. Maybe I will try listening on some headphones and see if I need to adjust my monitors.

Really like the song though, very catchy.

Thanks,

Terry
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 01:35 PM
Greg, Very nice song. Well written and sung. Also very nicely edited and recorded. I really like the melody. We want more! Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 01:37 PM
Really loved this song. Took me back to the sixties. Guitar and singing were excellent.
Posted By: boehm Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 03:29 PM
Hi Greg,

very catchy song and good vocals.

Guenter
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 03:49 PM
Very retro, melodic and catchy! Good piece.
cool
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/19/14 04:19 PM
Greg...

Very nice sound from a few years back...and I can remember a lot of years back - will be 70 in a couple of years. The mic was real nice...everything balanced perfectly. i tend to agree the drums could use a little more bottom EQ. I wouldn't cut back much on the highs, just a little more bottom.

All your music we've listened to has a great retro feel to it. We've enjoyed your work. Thanks for a great listen. Best to you....

Al & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/20/14 04:19 AM
Thanks for the comments. I think you're right about the drums. Any song you hear on the radio always has a kick, snare (or equivalent offset beat), and vocal that stand out. I sometimes get lost in the sea of sound and don't come back often enough to address these basics. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/20/14 04:20 AM
Thanks much for the kind words. Really means a lot to me!! I'll keep an eye out for your song posts. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/20/14 04:22 AM
THanks so much for the kind and positive words!! I love the old music, and am doubting I'll ever hear music which matches up to it. Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/21/14 02:49 AM
Greg,

An enjoyable listen. Very well done. Nice, crisp mix and good track choices. Good catchy melody..

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/21/14 01:40 PM
Enjoyed the throwback! I was musically active in the 60's so can really appreciate the vibe. I look forward to more.
Posted By: Slowbeat Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/21/14 04:32 PM
Greg, this is very nice. I really like the vocals and melody. The one thing that I think would put it over the top is a bridge. Great Job.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/21/14 07:51 PM
Hi Greg
I enjoyed this.
Very good tune and backing although the snare is too treble (IMO only)
I did get a hint of Elvis Costello here and there.
cheers
ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/22/14 01:06 AM
Hi Greg,

"Captive of Love" is fantastic! The 60s was such a great decade of music and you've captured the vibe incredibly well with great writing, great producing and excellent performance and production. Like Sundance, I'm going back for multiple listens!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/23/14 08:46 PM
Thanks Floyd. I appreciate your kind words. I will cont. to watch for your new posts. Keep up the good work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/23/14 08:48 PM
Thanks for the strokes! I am a product of the 60s (when I became musically aware that is, born in the 50s). The 60s (and particularly the music) will always be a part of me. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/23/14 08:50 PM
Thanks for the great compliment Noel. Much appreciated. I'm enjoying your work to. Keep it up! Take care. Greg
Posted By: olemon Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/23/14 09:47 PM
Awesome! Great song with dynamics and emotion. Professional mix, tight vocals, impressive. Great quality all around.
Posted By: gruverider Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/23/14 10:57 PM
I too got an Elvis C. vibe

much enjoyed!
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song post: Captive of Love - 01/23/14 11:12 PM
This was an extremely pleasant flashback in time for me. I am another one that was very musically active in the 60’s.

Your vocal and arrangement was perfect for that era! I do agree about bringing out the drum’s lower end but it was not enough to stop me from enjoying this song!
© PG Music Forums