PG Music Home
Di and I sat down one day and decided to write and record a few Blues songs. We're particularly fond of Blues Rock and Chicago Style Blues. This is one of four Blues songs we wrote over a two-day time frame. We see it as a Chicago-style Blues with hints of Dr. John. Thanks in advance for taking some of your valuable time to listen.

** I had a "frog in my throat" on the first couple of lines. I was gonna redo it but Di said, "Leave it , I like it". Being a good hubby, I did as she said!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11709220

File:Al - Just Me And Myself.MGU
Key=F , Tempo 110, Length (m:s)=3:25
No intro. 90 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 90. Repeat x1 chorus
Soloist track has 393 notes, saved patch is Music Box (11), embedded patch on track is Distorted Rock Guit (31), at bar -1
Song is saved with bar changes for Patches,Volume Changes,
Style is DRJONSHF.STY (DrJon Shuffle Blues)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33), Acoustic Piano (1),
RealTracks in song: ~~950:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBoogieA-B Sw 110
RealTracks in song: ~685:Harmonica, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~383:Guitar, Slide, Soloist Blues Sw 120
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

Just Me And Myself

(v1)
Guess you could say I'm a loner
Oh but that suits me just fine
Some folks say I should mingle
But I don't pay them no never mind
I mind my own business
Try to keep myself in line

(v2)
I like my independence
No rules except my own
Ain't no one I owe an answer
No time I need to be back home
I'm short on conversation
I don't even have no phone

CHORUS
I love them pretty ladies
But I don't want one all the time
Friends sometimes dessert you
When you're in a real tight bind
Don't need nobody else
Just me and my self

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

(v3)
Guess some people might be okay
If they don't get too close
But when they're headed the other way
That's when I like then the most
And people are all the same
From East to West Coast

(v4)
Don't slave myself to no one
And nobody owns my soul
The bestest friends I ever had
Was a line and a fishing pole
Minding my own business
That's just the way I go

REPAT CHORUS

(c) 2012 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers, BMI
Love the blues. Excellent song. Well sung and well played... Slide was really cool...
My first love is, and always will be, blues and this is very enjoyable stuff. Love the Dr John flavour. Thanks for letting us hear this.

John
Hi Al,

nice blues.
And I liked it with the frog.

Guenter
Al, I just gotta tell you that was some soulful vocal. Really cool. Sometimes it's a little hard to make the blues new and interesting but with your lyrics you and Di did a nice job. The slide solo was just perfect. Nice editing. Tom
Alan an Di -

A very enjoyable song. A good write. Terrific instrumentation and tasty playing. An excellent vocal (for this style song, I thought it could sit back in the mix a little more).

I liked it.

floyd
Hi Scott...

Thanks a bunch for those very nice words. We're delighted you enjoyed your listen. Thanks again!

Al & Di
Hi John...

SO nice to hear from you...thanks for those very kind comments. We're big fans of the Blues, as well. Wishing you a great day....

Al & Di
Hi Guenter...

We, and the Frog, thank you very much! G;lad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for the listen and very nice review....

Al & Di (and the Frog)
Good Early Morning, Tom...

Why, thank you so much for those very nice comments. For me, the lyric is always the hardest part. The music comes to me fairly easily. Being a published author, you would think I would breeze right through the lyric. But, that's not the case. Writing a book and writing a song or so different. We're quite thrilled by your very kind words. Thanks again!!!

Al & Di
Hi Floyd....

Thank you for that very tasty comment! You're probably right about the vox being a little more forward than it needs to be. As soon as I get a chance, I'll drop it back a little bit. I think part of the problem was I used two different sets of headphones during the mix (thanks to an 8 year-old grandson who made a hasty exit from the computer with the headphones on. The plug had a 90-degree turn in it when he was finished!!!

We appreciate those very kind words. Best to you...

Al & Di

PS: Al or Alan ... either is OK. My friends and family call me Alan. In the music biz I'm known as Al. I guess I have a very slight preference for Alan...because that's the name by which the royalty checks know me!
Hi Al
Great song and great writing. Wow, it is something else being able to sit down and write four songs over 2 days. Quite an achievement.
Really enjoyed it.
Hi Josie...

Thank you for the listen and your very kind words. We're delighted you enjoyed it. One of the best songs I (Al) ever wrote took me 45 minutes from the first word of the lyric to the finished recording. Sometimes you get lucky and things just fall into place. Over the next several weeks I'll post the other three Blues numbers we wrote. Thank you again! Wishing you the very best...

Al & Di

PS: Our family doctor is from South Africa...not sure which city. Her family name is Moolman. She tells me it's relatively common name there. We adore her!!!!
great song and sound

I just love that slide guitar

and kudos to le frog!
Hey Gruverider...

You are much too kind...but we'll find a way to deal with it...don't stop!

Thank you so much...and le frog ribbits his greetings as well. Maybe I should have tried to do the whole song that way!!! ANnyway, we're delighted you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting us know! best to you...

Al & Di
I am a huge fan of the blues and you did them justice! You got me from the git go, i.e. head boppin’ and foot tappin’.

Great vocal, backing tracks and mix.

You should be very proud of this one.
Mario...

Thank you so much! I'm not a natural Blues singer...more of a crooner, I guess. But I was happy with the way these four songs came out. This was the first of the four.

And yes, we are very proud of this one...and a few others. Thank you again! Best to you....

Al & Di
First and foremost IMO blues is about feeling and expression - leave that out and you don't have a blues song no matter what they lyrics are solos say. This song has it. Well done!
Ha! Love it!! How did I miss this one? Great job on the vocal, very expressive. The lyrics are clever and witty.

Excellent song writing.
How cool is this! That's some jamming blues. Perfect lyrics and loved the vocal including the frog that grabbed the vibe and ran with it.

Great job Al and Di.

Josie
Hi Josie!

Awww, thank you so much. Both i and the frog appreciate that! We wrote this and recorded it in about 5 hours. over the next couple of months, I'll post the other three we wrote...will mix them in with some of the others.

We sure do appreciate your kind words! It's pretty early in the morning over there...wondering if you're up late or up early!!!

Have a great week!

Al & Di
Janice and Bud...

You guys are much too nice. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. we try to put expression and passion into our music. Sometimes it works out pretty good...other times, maybe not quite as good! Glad this one worked out. Thanks again!

Al & Di

PS: Like I just told Josie, we wrote, arranged, recorded and mixed this in about 5 hours. We got lucky with all that!
oleman...

How are ya? hope all is well. And thanks so much! You words are very encouraging and certainly make us want to keep working at our craft. Thanks!!!!!

Al & Di
Al,

This Josie is on central time. So it's only about half past 10pm. But am known to be a night owl. <grin> JosieC. lives in South Africa and I'd guess asleep. LOL!

Have a good night ya'll.

Josie
Josie...

Yep, got you two confused. Getting old is the pits!

I, too, am a night owl...usually got to bed about 4:00AM and get up about 10:00AM

Thanks!

Al
Love it! Vocal is great and fits in the mix perfectly! Perfect blend of blues and rock, thanks for sharing!
Nice work.... I like some blues from time to time.

The recording of the instruments is spot on. The only nit I have is that there seems to be a harshness on the vocals mainly on the upper frequencies. The lower freqs are fine.
Hey Hacker...

Somehow I missed your comment here...sorry! My good mic has a problem and I'm using a cheap $60.00 Peavey mic. I just over powered it. But if I backed of, I lost the fullness. had to decide, so I opted to keep the brash uppers. I toned them down a bit by dropping the higher EQs. It's better than it was but still, as you noticed, the higher frequencies are pretty raw. Nonetheless, glad you liked it. Thanks a bunch!

Al
Pg...

Missed you, too. Dang! Thank you for the very kind comments. Di and I appreciate your time to listen and comment so nicely! Much appreciated! Best to you...

Al & Di
Very enjoyable listen...
I am especially impressed with the clever lyrics on this one, and your vocal is a perfect fit.
Hi Curt...

I think this is the first time we've met. Thanks for the listen and the very nice comments. Sure do appreciate that! All total, from the moment we sta to write the song, until it was a finished product, took about 5 hours.

Thanks again!

Al & Di
© PG Music Forums