PG Music Home
Posted By: Skyline New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/20/14 05:01 PM
Following in the footsteps of one or two others here, I've revisited a song I wrote with a fellow band member, Ian, back in 1975. We recorded it in a small studio but we had no producer and no idea how to get the sounds we wanted. Fast forward almost forty years and I've re-recorded it in my home studio and now it sounds how I first envisioned it! Of course, the tools I now have on my desktop computer would have cost hundreds of thousands of pounds back in the 70s. All the guitar and vocal tracks are me and I programmed the bass and organ sounds into Sonar manually.

YouTube video here.
Switch up to 1080HD if possible. Also play loud for best effect!
NOTE: The video in no way endorses a 'fast lane' lifestyle, as you will see at the end.
Lyrics and full notes here.
Posted By: boehm Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/20/14 05:26 PM
Hi John,

great guitars and good production.
Excellent video.
Where did you get the actors from?

Guenter
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/20/14 06:08 PM
Thanks Guenter.
I should have said, I didn't film the video, I compiled it from various downloadable videos on the internet, promotional ones for example, for fashion, nightclubs, etc.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/20/14 06:55 PM
Hey John,

Way to pull out a hidden jem. Great production & vocals as well as guitars! I thought the video was very cool too.

Great job,

Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/21/14 03:38 AM
John,

Excellent is all regards. Expect nothing less from you - your productions are always top-notch - and radio ready. Everything exactly where it needs to be. Driving drums. SOLID pumping bass (great sound!). TASTY guitars. Excellent vocals. Excellent arrangement.

You do it the way it's supposed to be done! Good music. Period. Exclamation point.

I'm a fan.

floyd
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/21/14 11:44 AM
John...

Here's the comment I left for you on YouTube:

"That's a killer song and top shelf video. listening to it for the 2nd time and still enjoying it like a little kid in a candy store and a a pocket full of money! Great job on this one. You and Ian outdid yourselves!!!!! Best to ya, mate...

Alan"

I echo that three times over here. That was a splendid listen and a great video! Totally loved everything about it. Still smiling! Great lyric and the picmkin' swas super! Kudos!!!

Al & Di
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/21/14 12:38 PM
Hi John
What an awesome song and video. Well done. Great work.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/21/14 12:44 PM
Hey John,

That was just incredible to listen to and to watch!

It sounds like mega-hours went into getting this up and out there. The music and lyrics are excellent and they're framed by an awesome arrangement. The production is as radio-ready as anything I've ever heard.

I'm going back to play it again!

You've certainly raised the bar on what's possible in a home studio!!!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/21/14 05:53 PM
Absolutely stunning video editing. Wow. And then pair it with a dynamite song and production. Come on now! You couldn't find a nit here if you picked until eternity!
Pro all the way.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/21/14 07:48 PM
Hi John
Its amazing what we can now achieve in our own homes. Compared to how it was in the 70's, when Studios has the Monopoly on recorded music, we can make it sound like WE want it to with all those expensive sonic toys at our fingertips.
Great track, John.
Interesting all the way through - pumping Bass, great sounding guitars and on the money vocals.
Superb.
cheers
ian
ps - did you use a Harmoniser to get those harmonies on the guitars at 2.34 - 2.50?? Great sound is that!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/22/14 02:49 AM
Awesome song. Well done. Awesome job on the video as well
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/22/14 02:56 AM
John,

+1 to all that's been said already.

Great job on the song and video!

Josie
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/22/14 10:23 PM
Many thanks everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much!

Ian: ps - did you use a Harmoniser to get those harmonies on the guitars at 2.34 - 2.50?? Great sound is that!!

No Ian, I worked out the different harmonies and then played them on different tracks, panning them hard left, right and centre. Some trial and error involved also!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/22/14 10:36 PM
Great production, great vibe!!! Really sounds natural. Fun video too. Top shelf!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/23/14 10:09 PM
Had to have another look and listen. Still loving it to the max! We can see this playing as background music in a movie. Great stuff...we're very impressed!

Al & Di
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/23/14 10:55 PM
John, it’s all been said so all I can add is you should be very proud of this one!
Posted By: gruverider Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/24/14 12:03 AM
Expletive Yeah!!!!

You sir are rock!

I won't even ask how you made such a fab video, it makes my head hurt to even think about the time and creativity that went into it!

Bravo!
Posted By: ROG Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/24/14 12:16 AM
Hi John.

It's so good to hear some driving rock on the Showcase and this is some of the best I've heard in a long time.

Everything screams out top pro-studio and producer, from the arrangement to the performances to the mix. Would that we could afford the facilities back in the day!

Absolutely loved it - please lets have some more of this.

ROG.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/24/14 01:09 AM
John, I agree with all the good things that have been said. Top notch production and playing. Tom
Posted By: olemon Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/24/14 01:17 PM
Awesome! I mean, this is right up there with anything that ever hit top 40 radio. A real gem. And it's all you and your musical skills and talent, so what can I say, I'm jealous and impressed:)

btw, kind of a Dire Straits meets Tommy Two Tone sound to my ears. And I mean that only in the best way.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/24/14 04:01 PM
Superb enough said, Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song 'Pickup Queen' - 01/25/14 10:21 PM
Hi, John !:))

I join in with all the positive feed
back from the others. This is truly a hit !:))
Everything seemed to work perfectly !:))
Btw who is the girl in the video, someone
you know well........? (chuckle) !!:))

Cheers
Dani
© PG Music Forums