PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/26/14 03:01 AM
Dear fellow PG music community, it has been a pleasure getting to know your work. This is a wonderful forum and I continue to enjoy it a great deal. This is another BIAB creation, inspired by a band combo they have (it may be called calypso rock). Used it intact and EZDrummer for drums. I use Pro Tools MP-9 and Waves plugins. This is a Jimmy Buffett homage. The tracks put me in that mood and I wrote it that way. Like THE RIGHT LANE OF LIFE, it represents my fantasy of freedom versus my 6 days of work and 7 days of kids reality. Hope you enjoy it. Take care all!

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/mercy

AT THE MERCY OF THE WIND

Ever since I can remember, I’ve heard Poseidon calling me
The freedom and the wonder of a life out on the sea
No property to bind me, No borders to defend
Adrift without an anchor, at the mercy of the wind

I once tried my hand at business, but their values clashed with mine
It was take control and sell your soul just to make the bottom line
At sixty-five, if you’re still alive, you can be that lucky man
To finally earn the freedom that was yours when you began

A speck out on the ocean, to Saint Anthony I pray
For the wind to keep my sails filled, and the stars to guide my way
I cherish every day

While man hammers on the planet, does what damage he will do
I’ll find some distant ocean refuge where the water’s still as blue
I cast my line at sunset, pull my dinner from the sea
One day I will return there and set me spirit free

There’ve been many roads not taken, far fewer still to come
My few regrets I swallow, with the passion fruit and rum
No property to bind me, No borders to defend
Adrift without an anchor, at the mercy of the wind

Adrift out on the ocean at the mercy of the wind

Adrift without an anchor at the mercy of the wind
Very well written and performed thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/26/14 03:13 AM
Hi Greg...

This is a really cool song! Light and easy-going to the max. And your vocal really shines. Nice instrument selection and well-mixed.

If you click onto the memo of the song (in BIAB), it will give you all the information for the tracks and style. we always enjoy checking out the tracks used by our forum friends.

Again, A real nice song. We totally enjoyed the listen...thanks!

Al & Di
Posted By: 90 dB Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/26/14 01:29 PM
Very nice Greg. BTW - spiced rum goes well with passion fruit. wink

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/26/14 01:33 PM
Loved your song. Excellent vocal and playing
Greg,

A VERY well-written song! Obviously, you did not "just pick this up"!
A well-honed craft in that pen.

And this ain't your first rodeo recording-wise either... nice mix. Excellent vocals - so "comfortable". A truly enjoyable listen...

I would really like to hear why you choose to use EZDrummer instead of a RealDrum. The rimshot is nicely done. The snare seemed slightly "mis-matched" in the mix (VERY slightly - not trying to take away from the overall song/mix/listen) - just "a little thing" that sort of caught my attention... (maybe too much actual snare - springs - a more "leathery" snare might set in better? - just thinking out loud).

Terrific stuff!

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/26/14 03:42 PM
Hi Greg,

a nicely written song, excellent vocals and well-mixed.
En enjoyable listen.

Guenter
We enjoyed it all. A nice crispy well mixed production on my monitors. Great sound on the vocal. Well written and a fine melody to support it. Looking forward to more.
Always enjoy your work Greg, and this one is no exception. Nice smooth bounce with well placed holds. Great solo.
Thanks again
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/27/14 03:32 AM
Beautiful song Greg. Love the lyrics and melody. We all know how I feel about your voice. LOL! I'm a fan.

Josie
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/27/14 01:50 PM
Greg, Very well written and sung. The mix sounds good. Thanks for sharing. Tom
What a great song. I love Jimmy Buffett, and you have captured everything I love best about his music. The lyrics are wonderful and reminiscent of John Masefield's "Sea-Fever" ("all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.") Beautifully arranged and pleasant to listen to, and as others have mentioned, your vocals are a real treat.

The whole thing makes me long to be out on the waves. Thank you for sharing this!
Loved the lyrics!
At 65 + a "bit" I can feel what you are getting at. grin
Classy backer too - the dubro guitar is great .
We must enjoy this Planet whilst we can - there won't be much left for future generations at the rate we are going.
Ian
Posted By: olemon Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/28/14 02:14 AM
'To finally earn the freedom that was yours when you began'

What a line! What a lyric!!

This is a beautiful song, beautifully performed. Take a bow.
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/29/14 08:51 AM
Hi, Greg !:))

I liked your sweet little tune
with those lyrics that included
a dream I guess many of us share !
Who knows, maybe I´ll join you
someday on that far away Island ?:))
In fact, me and my wife used to dream
about moving to an Island the kind
you are describing !:))

Cheers
Dani
Nice tune..... it took me back to the Jimmy Buffet album "Son of son of a sailor" ..... lots of great songs about freedom and sailing and swimming in a sea that's not roped off....

Loved your take on this topic.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song post: At the Mercy of the Wind - 01/29/14 08:51 PM
Everything I wanted to say has already been said!

So all I can add is you did Jimmy justice!
Thanks Floyd. Really appreciated the feedback and nice words. The main reason I don't use real drums too often is the inability to separate the different drums/cymbals for processing. A lot of the real drums are excellent in terms of feel (very natural). The snare may have been a bit too much. When it comes to mixing, I feel Waves plugins make it pretty easy to get a decent sound. They've helped me a lot as I'm relatively new at mixing. THanks again for your feedback. Take care. Greg
Thanks much Josie. Always appreciate your positive vibes!! Take care. Greg
Thanks so much. I love Jimmy Buffett as well. He wrote some beauties, a lot of which are unknown by much of his audience (When the coast is clear, Changing channels, The 12 volt man)-true genius. I'm glad you felt the "Buffett vibe" from my song. Take care. Greg
Thanks for the kind words. I am a big believer in the greatness of "our generation". They just don't write 'em like that anymore but I try to feed my brain with the old great ones and do the best I can to echo their spirit. Take care. Greg
Thanks for appreciating that line. I love certain lines/verses from songs and am constantly telling people about my favorites (Oh, these times are so uncertain, there's a yearning undefined, and people filled with rage. We all need a little tenderness, oh, how can love survive in such a graceless age?--Don Henley). All writers pray for those gems that will hit people when they hear them. Thanks for your great compliment. Take care. Greg
Thanks for sharing in my fantasy of a purer, simpler life. I appreciate the kind words. Take care. Greg
Thanks for your comments. I love SON OF A SON OF A SAILOR. Jimmy Buffett is a great soul! Thanks again. Take care. Greg
Appreciate your nice compliment, and thanks to all for listening and commenting. Take care. Greg
I use to love sailing Lake Pontchartrain. And enjoyed listening to your song
© PG Music Forums