PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Mac See me Shine - 02/05/14 06:11 PM
After a few weeks of owning BIAB I was starting to get the hang of it when I had a total hard drive failure. Lots of money and time later and I am back in business.
With

See me Shine

Last month my wife asked if I would write her a love song and immediately the line "see me shine when you walk in the room" came into my head, however when I picked up my guitar to start work on it, it metamorphosed into what's basically a piece of smut laugh
I created it using the Texrock style but substituted the hard LA drums for the ones that come with the style. All done in BIAB as I want to learn this before I start looking at Realband. I did mix it together in Reaper.
Hope you like it and it's not too raunchy
Cheers Steve
My website
Posted By: floyd jane Re: See me Shine - 02/05/14 07:15 PM
Steve,

You are rockin' the house here, buddy!!!

Good mix on the drums, bass and guitars! I think the harmonica is a bit too out front - a little extra reverb on it might be the thing (or just lowered a bit)... but rock songs like this often rely pretty heavy on the reverb.

And... while we're on the subject.. I think for this you should put a pretty heavy reverb on your vocal. (Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it). These type songs (for some reason I kept thinking KISS) typically have enough reverb that you "notice it". IF you add reverb, you may have to raise the vocal some - adding reverb has the effect of seeming to lower the volume...

I'd like to see a lyric sheet. The vocal is tucked into the mix - which I think is fine for this - but it makes some of the words difficult to catch (which, again, is okay here... these are the type rock songs you spend your whole life going "what are those lyrics".. it's part of the fun...).

Just some thoughts. I like it. And let me say again... great job on the "guts" of this - drums, bass an guitars!!! And a COOL, fun vocal! And tell your wife I really like her picture!

floyd
Posted By: gruverider Re: See me Shine - 02/05/14 09:29 PM
nice rocking vibe!

I too would like to see the lyrics smile

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: See me Shine - 02/06/14 08:28 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate the feedback. The only thing I am not sure about is Floyd (great name by the way) your comment on more reverb for the main vocal, I am sort of in the "less is more" camp, unless of course your Elvis. But this is only my third ever attempt at a song, so I will definitely take what you say on board. and the missus says thanks too Floyd!

Here are the lyrics as requested:-

In the morning I rise up against you
Greet the brand new day
I can hear you calling out to god
But, I know you don’t pray

Feels so good moving together
Each and every way
If i could
You know I would
Be with you everyday

See me shine
When you walk in the room
See me shine
When you call the tune
Hear me laugh
At everything you say
Watch me fall as you crawl away

The feeling start way down in my toes
You give me some more and the feeling grows
Give it all, you can’t have enough
I’m going to pump you pretty
‘till your head comes off

See me shine
See me shine
When you call the tune
Hear me laugh
At everything you say

Harder, harder , faster please
Give me good old constant motion
‘till I’m weak at the knees

See me shine
See me shine
When you call the tune
Hear me laugh
At everything you say

See me shine
See me shine
When you call the tune
Hear me laugh
At everything you say

Posted By: dani48 Re: See me Shine - 02/06/14 08:56 AM
Hi, Steve !:))

You´ve written a real rocker !!:))
I am sure your wife will be more
than pleased with this display of
your affection for her !!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: See me Shine - 02/06/14 09:47 AM
Hi Steve
I enjoy a good rocking tune as much as anything and this was a good one! Great vocal. I'm sure your wife must be pleased with her love song. Good job getting to know BIAB. It's fun isn't it?
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: See me Shine - 02/07/14 03:36 PM
I have put together a quick video if anyone would like to take a look. Thanks again for your comments

See Me Shine Video
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: See me Shine - 02/07/14 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your computer woes, Nice production work, everything is clear and precise; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: See me Shine - 02/08/14 04:56 PM
Thanks have to admit it took forever editing it. I will try something a bit simpler next time.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: See me Shine - 02/08/14 05:18 PM
Nice rocker all the way around. And a good rocking mix to go with it -- not the easiest thing to do IMO. you waitin' till Valentines Day to demo it for her? smile
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: See me Shine - 02/08/14 05:43 PM
Nice job ... good country rock song.
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: See me Shine - 02/08/14 06:40 PM
Thanks Elliot.
Janice and bud, no she has heard it and asked how can she let her mother hear it!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: See me Shine - 02/08/14 08:28 PM
hi steve great mix love it thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Sundance Re: See me Shine - 02/10/14 04:19 PM
Steve,

I love what you did with the video for this song. Really impressive. One of the best produced videos I've seen by a forum member. If you don't mind sharing, what editing software are you using and where did you find all those classic kissing clips? Excellent job putting this together.

I like the song, it's fun and the video makes it even better. I think it sounds great on youtube and wouldn't change a thing.

Josie
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: See me Shine - 02/10/14 09:02 PM
Hi Josie and thanks for your kind comments. I am a recently retired wedding photographer and although I have no video experience, I used to create slide shows of the happy couples photographs to set to music and put on a DVD for them. So when I started this new hobby this christmas I simply used the same software it's Photodex Producer. It's probably not the best for this purpose but I already had it and knew how to use it.
With regards to the video, they are simply short clips of old movies I had on DVDs.

Again thanks to all for your kind considered comments
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: See me Shine - 02/11/14 12:02 PM
Hi Steve. Love the video. Excellent job. I am trying to learn something about video production so this is a great example of how to do it.
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: See me Shine - 02/11/14 12:40 PM
Thanks, its my third go ever (I only started at Christmas) and if you look at my first attempt I Ride the Range you can see that I had lots of trouble especially with the lip syncing. But slowly I think I am getting there.
Thanks for the encouragement, should have another one by next week.
Cheers Steve
© PG Music Forums