PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/22/14 08:13 PM
It Ain't Easy He's After

The last song we posted was the first rock song we’ve written and I didn’t think there’d be another this soon but, due to the vagaries of my attempts at writing, it worked out this way.

Thank you floyd jane for two harmony tracks, mix advice, kick/snare wav’s, where to find the BIAB cowbell and the tip on generating tracks with the “direct input” option. And a big shout out to Tommyad for adding effects to the solo guitar RT (Dire 511). I liked the RT but it was way too clean so he dirtied it up with some "hair around the edges” (as he said) smile I’m learning a LOT from you guys.

Lead and harmony vocals: Janice
Harmony vocals: floyd
Solo guitar: Dire 511
Bass guitar: 683
Rhythm Guitar: 998
Drums: LA Hard Rock
Snare/Kick: single hit wav added to all respective hits on the RD drum track
Mandolin: 1753
Fiddle: 1755
Cowbell: BIAB loop

Comments are solicited and appreciated for this “Farm Rock” tune. To quote Tommyad again "Farm rock = gritty rhythm guitar and mandolin and fiddle and dirty lead.”
Posted By: sixchannel Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/22/14 08:47 PM
Hi ALL
this is a true Ensemble piece and what the spirit of BIAB/RB is all about.
What a Band - Janice, Bud, Floyd, Tommy and all the other guys in the RealTracksBand!!
You just couldnt pay them enough!!!
Superb job, folks
cheers
ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 01:43 AM
Bud, Janice, floyd and Tommy,

As I once heard Gillian Welch say, "Oh me oh my oh"! This is stunning stuff. Talk about 'pushing' those proverbial envelopes (both literally and figuratively).

It sounds like everyone has had a terrific time putting this one together.

As far as I can tell (and I confess that I'm not all that good when it comes to rock), everything sits where it should and sounds excellent.

Loved it!
Noel

P.S. I reckon you've started a new genre with 'Farm Rock'.
Posted By: dani48 Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 09:47 AM
Hi, Bud & Janice, Floyd and Tommy !:))

This is just great !:)) I think it is
my favourite B&J tune !!:))
I like the beat and the vocals
really much !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 10:07 AM
Nice. Gritty rock it is! Great job adventuring into different genres. Love the vocal as usual.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi ALL
this is a true Ensemble piece and what the spirit of BIAB/RB is all about.
What a Band - Janice, Bud, Floyd, Tommy and all the other guys in the RealTracksBand!!
You just couldnt pay them enough!!!
Superb job, folks
cheers
ian

Thanks Ian, yep w/o this forum we likely wouldn't be producing any music and if we did it would be all bluegrass like we played for decades.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Bud, Janice, floyd and Tommy,

As I once heard Gillian Welch say, "Oh me oh my oh"! This is stunning stuff. Talk about 'pushing' those proverbial envelopes (both literally and figuratively).

It sounds like everyone has had a terrific time putting this one together.

As far as I can tell (and I confess that I'm not all that good when it comes to rock), everything sits where it should and sounds excellent.

Loved it!
Noel

P.S. I reckon you've started a new genre with 'Farm Rock'.

We appreciate that Noel. And, yes, we did have fun. And while we are confessing this whole rock mixing thing is WAY different than listening to it. Hey, Mellencamp has the farm rock thing covered!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud & Janice, Floyd and Tommy !:))

This is just great !:)) I think it is
my favourite B&J tune !!:))
I like the beat and the vocals
really much !!!:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani. It was both different and fun.

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Nice. Gritty rock it is! Great job adventuring into different genres. Love the vocal as usual.

It was quite the adventure for sure with me trying to mix it! Thanks.
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 04:37 PM
Hi really liked it all except the intro which just didn't sound right with the rest of what is a thumping good tune.
Strong vocal, good sentiment, really enjoyed it.
Posted By: boehm Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 04:49 PM
Hi Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tommy,

what a great collaboration.
It sounds massive.
Go on diving into different genres.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 06:00 PM
Cool tune.... rock... probably not,.......... more like Nashville's take on modern country music.... mostly due to the accessory instruments used.

Sounds good, but you know what they say..... "more cowbell!!!!"
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 08:42 PM
OK, let's stop beatin' around the bush.

Y'all need to be famous. You're better than many of the people who ARE famous.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/23/14 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Mac
Hi really liked it all except the intro which just didn't sound right with the rest of what is a thumping good tune.
Strong vocal, good sentiment, really enjoyed it.

Thanks Steve. That intro was our attempt to get the Mellencamp mid 80's feel in the song. Having been a major fan for years I admit to a serious bias! The juxtaposition of the sparse rhythmic intro with a harder rock sound following is what we were attempting. However, I can certainly see how to many it would appear to be out of place. We appreciate your comments!

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tommy,

what a great collaboration.
It sounds massive.
Go on diving into different genres.

Guenter

Hey Guenter....thanks for the comment. We tried hard to get a big sound!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune.... rock... probably not,.......... more like Nashville's take on modern country music.... mostly due to the accessory instruments used.

Sounds good, but you know what they say..... "more cowbell!!!!"

Thanks Herb. Actually we were shooting for the sound as described in my response to Steve. Hard rock drums, crispy rhythm guitar, dirty lead, mandolin and fiddle was the closest we could come to the Mellencamp sound of the 80's. But, hey, you may be spot on. I don't listen to ANY modern country so maybe Mellencamp created the precursors of it!

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
OK, let's stop beatin' around the bush.

Y'all need to be famous. You're better than many of the people who ARE famous.

Ah shucks -- you're too kind Mr. Marr!
Posted By: Al-David Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 01:52 AM
Hi Janice & Bud...

So great to be listening to the fabulous artists here on these forums. We've been MIA for almost 2 weeks.

As far as the intro...we liked it! Neither of us are big Mellencamp fans, but we like this type of intro. We like intros that are somewhat of a teaser of what's to follow. It's kind of like the blurb on the jacket of a book cover...it entices you to read farther. Same with the intro on a song. (I, Al, am also an author so got a little cred about those teasers, I guess!)

The song was great. The mix was about as good as it gets. And what sweet vocals! Yep, you guys should be a household name!

As far as genre, we'd go with Country Rock. But that's just us!

Al & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 01:55 AM
Nice work you guys!! I really liked the writing style. Nice mix and performance as well!! Keep it up. Take care. Greg
Posted By: gruverider Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 02:35 AM
two words: MORE COWBELL! lol!

I got a bit of a Linda Ronstadt vibe. Love all the different instruments here

great lyrics, and very interesting chord progression

and of course the vocals, mix and production
Posted By: tommyad Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 03:58 AM
Bud & Janice & Floyd, Ah yes Farm Rock in it's purest form! This can be a new sub genre of Americana. It's like 3 guys with guitar, bass , and drums are turning on the amps out in the barn and few more folks wander in and pick up whatever's sitting around ( cowbell, fiddle, mandolin) and they just let it rip. Great job on the write ,the vocals, and the mix. I really liked this one.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 04:11 AM
I'm just a bit player, here... one of those folks that walked by the barn and threw on a couple of harmonies...

This is Janice and Bud doing what they do so well... trying something on for size and making it their own. Janice can sing anything (and write, too!). And Bud brings his own vision to the writing, instrumentation, production and mix...

They stir it, shake it, muss it's hair a bit and hang it on the wall for the world to see - and we are lucky enough to get the first look...

J&B Farm Rock.

Sweet.

floyd
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 05:55 AM
Another masterpiece; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: gibson Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 01:52 PM
Janice and Bud,
to quote 6channel:

You just couldn't pay them enough!!!

Great song from the BIAB rock band, Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tommyad

Good stuff

Alyn
Posted By: RichMac Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/24/14 08:11 PM
Like the style lyrics vocals and production.Cheers.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/25/14 02:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Janice & Bud...

So great to be listening to the fabulous artists here on these forums. We've been MIA for almost 2 weeks.

As far as the intro...we liked it! Neither of us are big Mellencamp fans, but we like this type of intro. We like intros that are somewhat of a teaser of what's to follow. It's kind of like the blurb on the jacket of a book cover...it entices you to read farther. Same with the intro on a song. (I, Al, am also an author so got a little cred about those teasers, I guess!)

The song was great. The mix was about as good as it gets. And what sweet vocals! Yep, you guys should be a household name!

As far as genre, we'd go with Country Rock. But that's just us!

Al & Di

Thanks you two! Great analogy re the book teaser. Never thought about it that way.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice work you guys!! I really liked the writing style. Nice mix and performance as well!! Keep it up. Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg. We'll try but a prolific writer I'm far from!

Originally Posted By: gruverider
two words: MORE COWBELL! lol!

I got a bit of a Linda Ronstadt vibe. Love all the different instruments here

great lyrics, and very interesting chord progression

and of course the vocals, mix and production

Thanks man. Janice most appreciates you commenting on the vocal vibe and her chord progression!
Posted By: olemon Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/25/14 02:27 AM
Okay, this is terrific! Great song, awesome vocals and harmony. Has a really cool...kind of loose musical swing which fits the song's main character. The intro really set that up, especially with that minor chord.

Patty Loveless came to mind when Janice started singing. A pitch-perfect-performance!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/25/14 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Bud & Janice & Floyd, Ah yes Farm Rock in it's purest form! This can be a new sub genre of Americana. It's like 3 guys with guitar, bass , and drums are turning on the amps out in the barn and few more folks wander in and pick up whatever's sitting around ( cowbell, fiddle, mandolin) and they just let it rip. Great job on the write ,the vocals, and the mix. I really liked this one.

Cool description and that's the vibe we were looking for. Your work on the guitar iced the cake. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I'm just a bit player, here... one of those folks that walked by the barn and threw on a couple of harmonies...

This is Janice and Bud doing what they do so well... trying something on for size and making it their own. Janice can sing anything (and write, too!). And Bud brings his own vision to the writing, instrumentation, production and mix...

They stir it, shake it, muss it's hair a bit and hang it on the wall for the world to see - and we are lucky enough to get the first look...

J&B Farm Rock.

Sweet.

floyd

Mighty kind floyd....but I don't think this would've come together w/o your "bit playing!" We appreciate ya.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice and Bud,
to quote 6channel:

You just couldn't pay them enough!!!

Great song from the BIAB rock band, Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tommyad

Good stuff

Alyn

Thanks Alyn. Loving me some BIAB and User Forum.

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Like the style lyrics vocals and production.Cheers.

Glad it worked for you. Thanks!
Posted By: olemon Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/26/14 12:51 PM
Back for a few more listens.

I can't compliment ya'll enough! This song is catchy and fun with an excellent hook and great RT's. That guitar shines, as does the whole darn thing. A standing ovation.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/26/14 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon
Back for a few more listens.

I can't compliment ya'll enough! This song is catchy and fun with an excellent hook and great RT's. That guitar shines, as does the whole darn thing. A standing ovation.

Hey, thanks a lot. We appreciate your comments and the return visit! Yeah man, Tom put some good stuff on that guitar RT.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/27/14 10:44 AM
J & B,

Late to the party on this one - been busy rehearsing. Country Rock at it's best. Love that snare too. Is this what happens when Bluegrass people go to the big city? grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 02/28/14 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
J & B,

Late to the party on this one - been busy rehearsing. Country Rock at it's best. Love that snare too. Is this what happens when Bluegrass people go to the big city? grin

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob. Actually we stay out of the city but do agree to meet city folks somewhere on neutral territory like a small town for collabs smile Hope the rehearsing is going fine.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 03/01/14 09:01 PM
hi Floyd jane excellent job guys love this mix is so well done great job thanks eric
Posted By: rsdean Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 03/02/14 02:00 PM
Wow! This is really a great piece of work. I can hear this one on the radio - absolutely loved it.

Bob
Posted By: Sundance Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 03/05/14 02:04 AM
Sounds like a record.

Josie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 03/06/14 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Floyd jane excellent job guys love this mix is so well done great job thanks eric

Thanks Eric, the mix was a bear but it seems to have worked out.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Sounds like a record.

Josie

Well, I reckon during this ear of Vinyl Revival that's a good thing! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Wow! This is really a great piece of work. I can hear this one on the radio - absolutely loved it.

Bob

Thank you bob. We always appreciate your comments.
Posted By: olemon Re: It Ain't Easy He's After - 03/16/14 12:51 PM
I LOVE this Song!!

Listening to new submissions, but had to swing by again. The vocals are perfect! The drums make me smile, that intro is a wonderful surprise. This one is out-a-here!
© PG Music Forums