PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/24/14 11:08 AM
It's been a little while but Brenda and I have finally managed to get another song together.

If you're interested in listening to something alla Tin Pan Alley with a twist a jazz ...

All comments welcome.

All the best,
Noel

LYRICS

Sunny Side Of Life
© 2014 Noel Adams and Brenda Smith. Words and music. All rights reserved.

Don't worry, keep on smiling
Things 'll be all right
A new day waits for you
On the sunny side of life

Grab some wishes, pack a daydream
Leave your cares behind
A new day waits for you

And when those gray clouds clutter up the view
Relax
Sooner or later, skies 'll be blue

There's always a rainbow around the corner
With a golden prize
A new day waits for you

BIAB STUFF

Bass: 481, Acoustic Jazz Ballad
Piano: 487, Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad
Guitar: 555, Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad Freddie

Guitar solo: 1979. Guitar Soloist Dixieland Medium
Piano Solo: Midi (Hi-Q piano) - generated by Soloist maker from one of the Bebop styles

Drums: JazzBrushesStick #1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/24/14 11:23 AM
Hi Noel

Smooooth

Easy goin' lyrics, almost cheesy smile . I like the way the bass goes into a 4 at about 41

The guitar solo fits perfect, followed by smooth piano solo.

And hey - the link to the Lead Sheet adds a really nice touch.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Cheers

Trevor

PS: the immediately following song on the Sound Cloud channel was "Will Sparks - Catch", not a good song to immediately follow "Sunny Side of Life With" IMHO, but i don't know if you have control over that bit.

Posted By: gibson Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/24/14 01:37 PM
Noel,

Well that was up to your normal standard grin and it fits perfectly withe the day we have here, after weeks of storms and never ending rain it is now sunny, the sunny side of life.

Very enjoyable.

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/24/14 05:16 PM
Hi Noel,

very relaxing and uplifting.
I like the chord progression and tune.
Well sung and arranged.
No wonder the sun came out here today.

Guenter
Posted By: RichMac Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/24/14 08:22 PM
Very authentic sound of the period. The vocal suits just right. Nice production. Sounds like a show song. Cheers.
Posted By: olemon Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 02:36 AM
'Grab some wishes, pack a daydream'

That's a great line! This is so sweet, perfect mix.

My musical brain is limited to the I IV V stuff, so I'm kind of in awe at these progressions. I sure enjoyed this. And so did 'my' Brenda:)
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 03:53 AM
Nice stuff!! Feels great! Great prosody! That's a word I learned in a songwriting course by Steve Seskin. I looked it up again but the way he used the word described the marriage between music and lyrics. I love the feel of this one! Very cool indeed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 06:53 AM
Hey there Trevor!

Absolutely no-one has ever used "smooooth" when they've commented on a song I've been involved with. This is a first. Thank you!

I have to give credit where credit it due, though, none of this song would have been possible without PG Music and BIAB. It's a songwriter's pot of gold.

I appreciate your taking time to listen and to comment.

All the best,
Noel (also on behalf of Brenda)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 07:06 AM
Hi Alyn,

It's always good to see you. It's been on the news here about the catastrophe that's been pounding England. I can only imagine what it must have been like.

I remember a geographer telling me a couple of years ago that the impact of climate change is felt more as you move outwards from the equator. Maybe his theory is right.

It's good to know that blue skies are back again! They must be all the more sweet after such intense storms.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 07:23 AM
Hi Guenter,

Thank you for passing through the thread and stopping long enough to have a listen. Brenda will smile when she reads your comments because "relaxing and uplifting" is pretty much how she described it the first time I played the arrangement for her!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dani48 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 09:08 AM
Hi, Noel and Brenda !

I enjoyed your new "classic"
truly much ! This tune would suit
barbershop just superbly !
I wonder if any good arranger
could make a quartet bshop arrangement
out of it ? (unfortunately I am not the one) !:))
Then I could sing it with my
quartet too !:))

Noel, this was nothing
less than brilliant !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 10:09 AM
G'day Richard!

I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm pretty sure you'll make Brenda's day, too, when she reads it. Both of us really like this musical period and we really enjoy the challenge of trying to come up with something that sounds reminiscent of the Tin Pan Alley era. It's such a defining time in the history of popular music!

Thanks for taking time to listen and to comment.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 10:16 AM
Hey Scott.

Thanks for noticing that line. Believe it or not, that was one of the last lines to arrive. Brenda and I tried heaps of possibilities but none of them seemed to sit as well as we wanted them to. When "grab some wishes" came along, it seemed to do the job nicely.

Also, there's nothing wrong with I IV V (and ii). In fact, what I've done is simply to dress up those chords and use the same progressions in a couple of keys. BIAB makes it easy and fun!

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 12:31 PM
Yep... this is how to do Jazz with BB/RB! All you folks here who do jazz styling/genre, study this as your next lesson. This is how it's done.

Going back for the second serving....

This struck me as the kind of song you might hear Frank Sinatra or Sammy Davis Jr sing or even a movie show tune.

I like your voice in it but I'm wondering how this would sound with a lady crooning it. I can see this in a movie without any problem. The only problem is they don't make movies like that anymore.

Superb in so many ways.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 02:11 PM
Noel, Very well done. Great arrangement and editing. The mix is perfect. Very good vocal. In this genre it doesn't get much better than this. Congratulations on some fine work.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/25/14 05:35 PM
"Grab some wishes, pack a daydream"

I was all poised to comment on this line when Janice told me that a poster had already mentioned it. What the heck....it's a great line. Janice, the eternal child, has no problems grabbing wishes and packing daydreams around. Me? I need encouragement...like running into the sentiment of this song.

Your tin pan alley/jazz meld works perfectly for me. Like Dani said it's a "new classic." Congrats on a really cool production. We're old movie fans so this genre is no stranger to us. Vocally, lyrically, and arrangement wise you nailed it!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 10:12 AM
Hi Dani,

Thank you for such uplifting comments. You're definitely being overly generous but they sure made me smile a really big smile.

When I get some holidays in a couple of months time, I'll see if I can do a barbershop quartet arrangement for you. To be honest, I've never arranged a song for a barbershop quartet before. I have done a number of 4-voice a Capella arrangements though so that should help me get going. It will be an interesting exercise for me.

While I can't promise to do this arrangement, because I often find that things happen that take away my available time, I can promise to try my hardest to do it for you.

Let's see what happens.

Once again, thank you smile
Noel

P.S. If you're interested, the link below takes you to one of my all time favourite a Capella quartets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTnLEYeR8SI

Every time I listen to these guys sing, I'm left in awe that 4 voices can sound so brilliant!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 10:43 AM
Hey Herb.

You've left me speechless. I don't know how to reply to your comments! Brenda and I are only novices in the jazz field. The real credit for being able to do this goes to Peter Gannon and his team. Without any doubt, I know that I would not have been able to put together an arrangement of this quality without BIAB/RB, Realtracks and Realdrums. It truly is a brilliant program.

I totally agree with you about a lady crooner. I reckon it would add a whole new dimension to the song with female vocals. I'd love to hear it.

Thank you for taking time to listen. I always appreciate your thoughts.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 11:01 AM
Hi Greg,

Steve Seskin is one of the best songwriting teachers I've ever been to. I've been really lucky here in Australia because he has been out here on three occasions and I've been to all three weekend workshops he conducted. He's just brilliant and I've learnt such a huge amount from him.

If anyone is interested, Seskin (and other top notch songwriters) have online courses available at Songwork.com (link). To my way of thinking, the $29 for a month's subscription to Songwork.com is amazing value and a great investment for anyone who wants to grow their songwriting ability.

Thank you for having a listen to "Sunny Side". I really appreciate your comments (I know Brenda will too!). It's interesting that you mention prosody because that is something that is always on my mind when I write smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 12:31 PM
Very enjoyable listen. Love the music from this era. Excellent vocal and playing...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 06:14 PM
Noel,

I'm fairly certain that in your last incarnation, you were a guy just getting started on Tin Pan Alley - something happened that you did not get to say all that you had to say - and you have come back to finish up...

"Grab some wishes, pack a daydream...Leave your cares behind "

Song lyrics DO NOT GET BETTER THAN THAT. Full Stop! as my friend from down under might say...

An excellent piece of songwriting, start to finish. These type of "simple" songs are the HARDEST to do well. This is done well.

The intro is magnificent! Did that "just happen" or did you piece that together?

The solos are perfect! The acoustic followed by the piano...

A studio quality production. A studio quality mix.

A perfect vocal. Danny Kaye could not have done better!

Both you and Brenda should be proud! A tip of the straw hat to you both! (And tap my cane, loudly, twice on the floor to punctuate that!)

floyd
Posted By: dani48 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 06:42 PM

Hey, Noel ! :)) They are just great !!!!
I attach the link to my favorite bshopper
Tim Waurick (World Champion) who can sing
9 octaves on the piano and sings any male- or
female arrangement you can think of ! Just listen
to some of the nice overtones in tunes like
f.i. A Fool Such As I (the end of the song) !

http://www.timtracks.com/tracks.php?cat=mensTracks

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: MarioD Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/26/14 08:36 PM
Noel my friend it’s all been said, super arrangement, super chord progression, super lyrics and an outstanding vocal. You two should be very proud of this one!

I do believe this is your best to date!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/27/14 04:36 PM
Hi Noel
Your songs are always so uplifting. This one is no exception.
Love your stuff. Tell Brenda well done!
Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/28/14 03:31 AM
Well, if it gets much better than this, we haven't heard it yet!

Simple is the hardest thing to do. Everyone has already used up all the superlatives we had in mind. Excellent. A tip of the hat for an excellent write and performance! Best to you...

Al & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/28/14 12:05 PM
Hi there, Tommy.

Thank you for the smile your comments have given me. It's a great way to finish Friday.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/28/14 12:10 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Thanks once again for listening to songs that I'm involved with. I'm grateful for the unending support.

I completely understand where Janice is coming from smile My theory is that "life is what you make it". I don't know who I'm quoting but it's a great quote!

When Brenda reads your comments about the song, she's going to be smiling big time!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/28/14 12:11 PM
Hi Scott,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/28/14 12:29 PM
Hey floyd!

"Full stop"???? Did you really say "Full stop"? I had to do a quick re-take to see that the post was definitely from you. It seems to me that the multicultural influence in this channel is affecting your accent. LOL!

These days when I want intros, solos or endings, I use "Multiriff" in Realband and generate seven different ones. I then assemble a section by selecting the bits I like and compiling a master track. As it turned out with this intro, seven generations were overkill because one of the generations was around 80% there. I just found a couple notes/chords in a second generation and slipped them in.

I was incredibly impressed with the midi soloist that the Soloist generator created. When it was coupled with the Hi-Q piano sound, it fitted. I couldn't believe my luck. I'll definitely be playing around with the midi Soloist generator some more.

When she reads your comments, I know that Brenda is going to laugh. She'll appreciate that!

Thanks for all your uplifting thoughts - even though I think you are being overly generous, I like them!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 02/28/14 02:30 PM
I closed my eyes and was transported back in time to the 1940, in a smokey night club, with handsome soldiers in uniform, and girls chewing gum offering dances for .10 each. Get Song!! Captured the feel.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/01/14 08:17 AM
Hey Mario,

Hope things are sailing along smoothly for you.

Thank you for having a listen. Brenda and I were discussing this song a couple of weeks ago and we both agreed that it's probably the one we've felt most comfortable with (whatever that means). She'll be really pleased to read your comments.

I appreciate your time.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I notice that there are couple new songs of yours that I haven't yet visited! I'd better fix that up. You're becoming 'prolific'!!!!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/01/14 08:19 AM
Hi JosieC,

Thank you smile I appreciate your time and your thoughts. Brenda will too.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/01/14 11:29 AM
Hi Al and Di,

Thank for the kind words and the tip of the hat smile Much appreciated.

All the best with your own writing!
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/01/14 11:33 AM
Hey Elliott,

Thanks for being so descriptive in your post. Brenda and I tried to re-create the sound of an era in our song and I did my best to try and capture the music with BIAB.

Every time I generate a song in BIAB, I thank Peter Gannon for what he has created! BIAB is just awesome.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: ROG Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/01/14 07:46 PM
Hi Noel.

Always pleased to see one of your offerings on the list!

Yes, that was definitely the 1930s, through and through. Very authentic.

Great song, lovely arrangement. I agree with Trevor - the change in the bass gives the bridge a real lift.

Nice choice of tracks and your usual smooth vocal combined with a super mix, makes for a perfect result.

ROG.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/01/14 08:08 PM
hi noel very enjoyable nice production very smooth thanks eric
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/02/14 12:50 AM
Hey ROG,

It's always a pleasure to see your name pop up in a thread.

Thanks for taking time out to listen and to comment. It's appreciated. I always find your insights valuable.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/02/14 01:06 AM
Noel,

There's no one around here that handles this genre like you are able to do. A great listen as usual - love the Astaire feel and swing to this one.

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/02/14 01:21 AM
Hi Eric,

Thank you smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/02/14 01:28 AM
Hi Bob,

It's good to see you!

Tin Pan Alley is the genre that I empathise with. I have no idea why. It happened a long time before I was born and the only thing my parents ever played on the radio was country music. I guess I must have been a rebellious child and destined to become the black sheep of the family smile

Thanks for dropping by and having a listen. Appreciated.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: gruverider Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/04/14 09:49 PM
great song! and I love the solos!

I'm at a café in Na'lins and everything is sepia tinted...
Posted By: aleck rand Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/04/14 10:38 PM
Noel,

Just terrific. You really captured that 30's sound. The only additional touch would have been to add some needle-on-grooves static.

Dean
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/05/14 01:27 AM
Well done Noel and Brenda.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song: "Sunny Side Of Life" - 03/05/14 05:41 PM
Noel,

I love this one! I've been out of pocket so much of the past several months, I almost missed this one. Congratulations to you and Brenda on this excellent tune. I was very impressed with your arrangement, and the mix is as good as it gets. The lyrics are very well crafted (as I would expect from you).

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Steve
© PG Music Forums