PG Music Home
Posted By: Riccled Electric Crock - 02/24/14 10:25 PM
Howdy all.
Here is my latest BB creation,a lively folk/rock piece written about 25 minutes ago!

Hope you like it I used real tracks for all the parts,and I do think they sound superb.

https://soundcloud.com/riccledy/electric-crock

Cya.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Electric Crock - 02/25/14 12:51 AM
This has a lot of potential. That fiddle part was perfect but I wasn’t sold on the piano part. I thought that it was too far out front and not necessarily the sound or style that I would use. But please remember that this is just my opinion and yours and others may differ. I would also change that ending, maybe a fad out would be better, don’t know.

I think this is a diamond that just needs a little polishing.
Posted By: Riccled Re: Electric Crock - 02/26/14 12:12 AM
Hi Mario.
Thanks for the opinions,yes that's the first time I have used a realtracks soloist for the solo sections,i'm glad you think it works well.

More stuff will follow in due course.
cya.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Electric Crock - 02/26/14 01:24 AM
The piano part could use some reverb to make it fit in with the tone of the other instruments, the guitars and the fiddle have the same tone but the piano because it is so dry stands out. Still a great piece of work either way. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: olemon Re: Electric Crock - 02/26/14 01:03 PM
It's got a neat groove, and I like the fiddle, but agree regarding the piano, too up front at times, and the ending is quick. Just needs a couple of tweaks and a little mixing. The story of my musical life:)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Electric Crock - 02/26/14 01:15 PM
I love real tracks and once I compose the song in BB I work almost exclusively with the Real Band real tracks along with live musicians tracking their instruments. The real tracks are totally amazing in many respects and I love how they sound.

I liked parts of your song creation pretty well and others not so much. Let me explain.

I like the progression at the very beginning of the song, but without the piano lead. I'd go back and replace that piano part with a piano soloist real track player. It will have more compatibility than the part that's there now. Use envelopes to bring the parts in and out as needed.

OK, the fiddle part starts off absolutely fine and where the fiddle comes in is superb. I love the sound of the RT fiddles. BUT, at 48 thru 56, the song jumps out of it's key and goes off into something that totally doesn't fit or work. Drop those 2 chords out. Just because you can put those chords in there and the soloists will follow them, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. There are ways to drop unusual chords into songs, I've done that, and others have done that as well. You need to try to find a way make it work better. Perhaps using one chord that is close kin to the key you're in to start with.

Same thing with the stops at 2:20. I was totally puzzled by them. What? Why? Stops are great tools to break or add tension to a song, but indiscriminate use does nothing. In an instrumental it's harder to use them because there is no vocalist to add that third dimension to the music that calls for a pause. Perhaps you should try a partial stop..... let everything stop except maybe drums and bass.... that give the music a pause but there is continuity maintained.

Note: In BB if you input the chord as C.bd , it will stop all the other instruments except the bass and drums. I'm working on a tune right now where I'm using that in the intro to keep it sparse.

OK I know that you are experimenting, and sometimes we gotta try something to see how it works. Kudo's on what you did....

Like MarioD, I do think you have some really sweet stuff in this tune. He used the phrase "diamond that needs polishing". I agree. All you have to do is refine it, fix a few things and waa laa, a tune that flows smoothly and doesn't grate the proverbial fingernails across the chalkboard of our listening experience....

None of this is meant to be "mean spirited, snarky" criticism. It's intended to be constructive and help you understand what we.... no....what I, hear in this tune.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Electric Crock - 02/26/14 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I love real tracks and once I compose the song in BB I work almost exclusively with the Real Band real tracks along with live musicians tracking their instruments. The real tracks are totally amazing in many respects and I love how they sound.

I liked parts of your song creation pretty well and others not so much. Let me explain.

I like the progression at the very beginning of the song, but without the piano lead. I'd go back and replace that piano part with a piano soloist real track player. It will have more compatibility than the part that's there now. Use envelopes to bring the parts in and out as needed.

OK, the fiddle part starts off absolutely fine and where the fiddle comes in is superb. I love the sound of the RT fiddles. BUT, at 48 thru 56, the song jumps out of it's key and goes off into something that totally doesn't fit or work. Drop those 2 chords out. Just because you can put those chords in there and the soloists will follow them, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. There are ways to drop unusual chords into songs, I've done that, and others have done that as well. You need to try to find a way make it work better. Perhaps using one chord that is close kin to the key you're in to start with.

Same thing with the stops at 2:20. I was totally puzzled by them. What? Why? Stops are great tools to break or add tension to a song, but indiscriminate use does nothing. In an instrumental it's harder to use them because there is no vocalist to add that third dimension to the music that calls for a pause. Perhaps you should try a partial stop..... let everything stop except maybe drums and bass.... that give the music a pause but there is continuity maintained.

Note: In BB if you input the chord as C.bd , it will stop all the other instruments except the bass and drums. I'm working on a tune right now where I'm using that in the intro to keep it sparse.

OK I know that you are experimenting, and sometimes we gotta try something to see how it works. Kudo's on what you did....

Like MarioD, I do think you have some really sweet stuff in this tune. He used the phrase "diamond that needs polishing". I agree. All you have to do is refine it, fix a few things and waa laa, a tune that flows smoothly and doesn't grate the proverbial fingernails across the chalkboard of our listening experience....

None of this is meant to be "mean spirited, snarky" criticism. It's intended to be constructive and help you understand what we.... no....what I, hear in this tune.

+1 on most of that. Saved me a lot of typing (lol) except that I quite liked the chord change at 0.48-0.56 and also the chord introduced around 3.18 - that sounded nice.
The three "stops" - Nope!!
cheers
ian
Posted By: Riccled Re: Electric Crock - 02/27/14 12:32 AM
Hi all.
Thanks for the opinions,yes I do have predilection for abrupt stops,as I think they provide a nice surprise and change to a ordinary section.
As to the placing of the voices I always prefer the melody and the solo to be very prominent in the mix,as the majority of the themes are included in those 2 sections.

I appreciate you taking the time to giving hints etc and I like the constructive criticism.

I'm pleased this track has garnered such interest and I shall try some different soloist ideas in future mixes.

Cya.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Electric Crock - 02/27/14 05:21 AM
Hi...

Loved the listen. Agree with a lot of what has been said. Not fond of the stops and the piano is a tad too much out front for our taste. That said, everything else about this is great! Good luck with it!

Al & Di
© PG Music Forums