PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad Quit Lovin You - 02/27/14 06:50 PM
This is what I call Super slow-barely-make-it-to-the-next-measure-blues. So if you're looking for a toe tapper this ain't it. As always I welcome all comments/suggestions.

My Vocal and Lead Guitar

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/quit-lovin-you

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12702143

RealTracks in style: ~1178:Bass, Electric, PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~1185:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopWaltzGrittyA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~1182:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1181:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~673:Organ, B3, Background Blues BB Ev 085
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: PopRockWaltzEv,SideStickHat,Ride: a: Sidestick. HiHat b: PopRockWaltzEv,SideStickHat,Ride

Quit Lovin You

Sometimes I feel like I've been a blind man

One who's lost sight of all that he's been

But if I’d known and been able to choose

I wouldn’t be siitin here with these broke down blues

I would have quit lovin you

I never thought that you would hurt me

Take me for granted and ruin my heart

I get that feeling had I been able to choose

I would have quit lovin you

I would have quit if I’d a known we would go down in flames

I should have quit when you started playing those jealous lovers games

There's not a man alive who can step in and love you the way that I do

Seems I can't quit lovin you

But if I’d known and been able to choose

Seems I can't quit lovin you

©2014 Thomas Adams All Rights Reserved
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/27/14 09:51 PM
Yet another sweet one, Tommy!! Stylish and soulful!! Great job! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/27/14 11:40 PM
Excellent tune. Excellent vocals and guitar
Posted By: dani48 Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/27/14 11:49 PM
Hi, Tommy !:))

This was really a nice one (if a blues can ever be ?)
I am impressed by your playing and chord progressions
some of which felt really new to blues (at least to me) !!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/28/14 03:24 AM
Hi Tommy...

Slower it is, the longer it lasts, the more time we have to enjoy it.

Great song and production. The guitar is super and loved the organ on the right channel. You did as super job breaking your voice into falsetto. Everything is top shelf. We loved it!

Al & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/28/14 12:51 PM
Greg, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Scott, Thanks for checking in. I appreciate the comments.

Dani, The chord progression doesn't have any fancy jazz chords but in follows a pattern that is a little unusual for the genre. Thanks for coming by.

Al & Di, I have posted quite a few slow blues recently and I will need to step up the pace before I nod off. Thanks for the kind words.
Posted By: olemon Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/28/14 01:57 PM
Soulful blues Tommy. Well done. The intro really gets your attention, that B3 with the lead guitar is tight. Loved all the lyrics, and those first two lines are striking!

(Your comments reminded me of a documentary about Ray Charles. He went through several drummers I believe, until he found somone who could play slow tempos.)
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/28/14 02:26 PM
WOW the mix is awesome, can you explain your production techniques, I cant seem to get that quality out of my Real Tracks. I like the song also, and guitar tone is spot on.
Posted By: boehm Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/28/14 03:25 PM
Hi Tommy,

solid vocals and lead guitar.
Enjoyable listen.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 02/28/14 05:55 PM
Scott, The opening lines are so important, Hook em early. I had to go through several drummers also. Both in band days and BIAB. Thanks for the comments.

Guenter, Thanks for stopping by and the kind words.

Elliot, I will have to condense this. Mastering with Ozone5. Most real tracks run through Alloy2. Vocals use Nectar2. Guitar through S-Gear. Ozone5 is a powerful program with 7 modules within it. It adds the sheen,clarity, separation of instruments, stereo field, and loudness to the final mix. That is just a little of what it does. I even mix now with it on. Hope this helps. Youtube has lots of tutorials on these plug-ins. If you have questions PM me. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 12:23 AM
Tommy,

This is 24 carat gold! In my opinion, you are, without exception, the best blues writer and performer here on the forum. I learn so much from you every time I listen to one of your works.

Your guitar playing was fantastic. I love that anguished tone that you create. The arrangement was superb - professional through and through. I couldn't believe how quickly the 4 minutes sped by given that the tempo was so slow.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 04:46 AM
+1 on Noel's comments, plus, I loved those brakes with the drums going. Thanks for this great tune.

Mike B.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 10:36 AM
Sweeeeet. Flawless arrangement and vocal as usual. Nice going
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 02:01 PM
I like this. I started to listen the other day but got interrupted....

Saturday morning blues.... Kinda reminds me of the tempo and feel of Zep's Since I been loving you. One of my all time fav slow blues rock tunes.

Nice job on the tune.

I kinda felt the acoustics, while nice for lots of things, were out of place a bit in this mix. I would have opted for perhaps a single electric guitar for the rhythm, most likely crystal with just a tad of grit.

Bring that amazing B-3 up to the front of the mix and let it carry the verses..... that's the cool thing about the blues, you don't really need to have a chorus, just a cool hook at the end of the verse.

Loved the song. Great job.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 03:02 PM
Hey Tommy,

Damn, that's good. Now, that's a sloooow blues, man. The only guy I ever heard sing the blues slower was Ray Charles.

That little yodel at the tail end of "broke down blues" prompted me to leave a comment at SoundCloud.

Dean
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 03:06 PM
I think this may be the best I have heard from you, this is outstanding, really like the falsetto parts in the vocal, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 04:46 PM
Noel, Thank You for the best compliment you have ever given me. I appreciate it. You made my day!

Hey Mike, Thanks for stopping by and the nice comments.

Josie, Always glad to have you listen and comment. Thanks

Herb, You may be right about the acoustic. I was on the fence about it. At some point I will revisit the mix and keep in mind your comments. I'm always open to your suggestions. Thanks

Dean, Hey Brother. Glad you got in on this one. I appreciate your comments.

Robert, Glad you liked it. Thanks much.
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 05:52 PM
Thanks for the tips ... which DAW are you using with these plug-ins? I have been on Cubase, but I switched to Reason for ease of use, but they dont take VST plug-ins.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 06:09 PM
Elliott, I am using Logic Pro9 on a Mac. For pc's I've heard good things about Presonus Studio One, but they are all pretty good these days.
Posted By: ROG Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 07:27 PM
Hi Tommy.

I've not had a lot of time to listen to tracks recently, but when I saw your description I was intrigued and had to give it a play.

SO glad I did!

I've always loved the blues and this is just first class all the way round. Great song, fabulous vocal and a wonderful solo.

ROG.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 08:20 PM
hi tommyad great vocal and guitar chops awesome eric
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/01/14 09:18 PM
Rog, Glad you made it by. Thanks for your kind words.

Eric, Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/02/14 03:00 AM
Tom,

That is some sweet blues! Been a while since I've heard any Robert Cray, but as I recall this would have fit perfectly on one of his records. Great clean sound! EXCELLENT mix. SUPER tasty guitar. Loved just listening to you playing that thing! Heck of a band you've got there, too! Studio quality sound.

Totally enjoyable.

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/02/14 12:29 PM
Tommy,

All it took was 4 seconds and I was hooked.

Soulful vocals and a guitar that speaks/cries in reply.

beautiful.

Alyn
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/02/14 03:18 PM
floyd, Thanks for your very generous words. I am a huge Robert Cray fan. That guy can really sing.

Alyn, Glad you wandered in on this one. Thanks for you kind words.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/03/14 03:18 PM
From the moment I heard the ABB do "Stormy Monday" in Piedmont Park (1969) I've been a huge fan of slow blues. There's really no blues I don't enjoy but, man, the expression in the lead guitar and vocal has the time to seep through you on a song like this.

It's all here. Vocal, lyric, lead guitar with mixing/mastering that puts everything where it should be. I've listened to this on three sound systems and it's hittin' the note on all of them.

Awesome job in all aspects!!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Quit Lovin You - 03/04/14 10:07 PM
Oh

Yeah

gotta love the falsetto on "blues"

great gruve
Posted By: Ognian Petrov Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/15/14 09:45 AM
Great composition and performance. This is one of the best examples how to utilize BIAB and to produce great sounding songs.

Ognian
https://soundcloud.com/ognian-petrov
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/15/14 11:46 AM
Surprised to see this pop up again. Ognian, Thanks for listening and commenting. And Welcome to the forum. Also a belated thanks to Bud and Janice and Lawrence. Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/15/14 01:00 PM
Tommy, glad this one was revived. Super song and performance. All I can say is that you and the blues are one. You nail it every time.

Charlie
Posted By: RnAM Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/15/14 05:13 PM
Hi Tommy,

Fascinating song, enjoyed the lead guitar.

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/15/14 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Tommy, glad this one was revived. Super song and performance. All I can say is that you and the blues are one. You nail it every time.

Charlie

Like I said Charlie, I was not expecting this to show up again. Thanks for listening and commenting. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/15/14 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Tommy,

Fascinating song, enjoyed the lead guitar.

Regards,
R & AM

R&AM, Thanks for the kind words. Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: Quit Lovin You - 08/23/14 12:53 PM
for me it's your vocal that takes center stage. it has real character, confidence and depth here.

the arrangement reminds me of Robin Trower and his fantastic Bridge of Sighs album

much enjoyed
© PG Music Forums