PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David When My Woman Makes Love To Me - Al Singing - 03/01/14 04:55 AM

** SOME FOLKS MIGHT FIND THIS A BIT SUGGESTIVE - JUST TO LET YOU KNOW. **

This is another one that was in the file that got sent to that mystical place in cyberspace unknown to all mankind. There were 6 or 8 songs in the file. Translation - I don't have the RT tracks to post for you, sorry frown

It's our version of Smooth R&B. Let us know what you think!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12701907

When My Woman Makes Love To Me

(c) 2013 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
Erotic whispers, I ask her if she'd dare
Lips tracing boldly, I kiss her everywhere
Her breath is heavy, as I make my move
Her body answers when I find my groove
I'm taken to a place beyond the ecstasy
She satisfies my every fantasy

CHORUS

When my woman makes love to me
My soul breaks out in fire
She never leaves me
With an unfulfilled desire
She won't refuse me
She gives me what I need
It's passion with no limits

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

CHORUS

She never leaves me
She won't refuse me
She gives me what I need

(v2)
Her touch is tender, her passion oh so strong
She lets me have my way, cuz I won't do her wrong
Our bodies melding, as two turn into one
And when we're finished, the loving's still not done
She whispers in my ear
Says it's the best it's ever been
And she can't wait to love me once again

CHORUS

She never leaves me
She won't refuse me
She gives me what I need
Hi Al,

Very smooth music indeed. You certainly have a flair for skilful arranging.

I'm curious, when you arranged this, did you try the sequence "V1, Chorus, V2, Chorus, Instrumental, Chorus"? I found myself wondering if maybe the instrumental would sound even more satisfying after a second chorus.

I'll explain my thinking ...

A number of years ago, Steve Seskin (7 number one records) introduced me to what he called the "rule of two". It's more a principle than a rule but what it says is that after a sequence has been presented twice, it's good to vary things.

The verse-chorus system can be considered a single system. A second verse-chorus system then completes the set of two. Steve said that after a statement and its repetition, music and lyric patterns are firmly cemented in a listener's mind. This creates familiarity and makes the listener feel comfortable. Now when some variation comes along it stands out much more significantly in contrast. It also means that when the listener is returned to the last chorus (i.e. familiar territory), there's a very strong sense of having reached home base and it makes the last chorus feel even stronger.

Steve had a theory that it was because of the "rule of two" that the AABA form has proven to be such a strong song form. He said that it's the classic "statement, repetition, contrast, original statement" form.

Sorry if I'm boring you. I appreciate that given your extremely high level of musical expertise, the "rule of two" approach that I've outlined above (whether or not you've heard of it) is most likely something that you've already considered with this arrangement and discarded because it doesn't work the way you want it to.

The reason I put all this into words was because your song provided a great opportunity to pass on some information about a songwriting technique to other forum members who might not have heard of this principle. I thought that they might find it interesting.

Overall, I found this song a very laid back and easy listen.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. One of the most interesting things about the "rule of two" is that after I became aware of it, I started hearing it everywhere! It comes in many different shapes and forms from lyrics to melodic motifs. It's also found as systems within systems. The Beatles were big users of it.

For example, verse 1 of Hard Day's Night

[STATEMENT] It's been a hard day's night
And I'd been working like a dog

[REPETITION] It's been a hard day's night
I should be sleeping like a log

[VARIATION] But when I get home to you
I find the things that you do
Will make me feel alright

Hi Al
I think this is fantastic. Your singing is just getting better. You and Di make a great pair. Keep it up
Hi Al,

very smooth and easy listen.
Very tastefully arranged.

Guenter
Well written lyrics they meter well, nice clean vocal and the mix is great thanks for sharing!
Al, This is good representation of the smooth R&B genre. You sure have a handle on this type of thing. Nicely arranged and produced. Good one.
hi al great vocal and arrangement nice mix thanks eric
Hi, Al & Di !:))

A very smooth tune with equally
smooth lyrics and singing !
I can but congratulate both of
you !:))

Cheers
Dani
Al,

Smooth. An nice mix of background instruments and the sax is fit in there very nicely.

Hope all is well with you and DI.

floyd
Hi Al
just been outside to throw a bucket of water over myself!! Phew!
Great track, great lyrics (written on asbestos paper?)and a wonderful grooving feel to it. That Sax was just made to be in there.
Excellent.
It may be minus 2c outside here but it ain't that inside here, I can tell you! crazy smile
cheers
ian
Hi Noel...

Thank you so much for your very kind words about this one. Di and I appreciate that very much. As far as the "Rule of Two", no, I've not heard of it in that context.

I spent the first 25 - 30 years of my musical career playing nothing but Country...whatever was contemporary at the time. In Country music, the rule of thumb is "get to the Chorus as close to one minute as possible". I guess that mantra hangs around in the back of my mind when I write in any other genre. But I'll play around with this and try it as you suggested and see how it sounds and feels. Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Also, please feel free to use anything I/we post as an instructional instrument. That's how I learned, by reading about others' mistakes, done ins a respectful way. You are obviously a learned craftsman of the art.

A little off topic, I played nothing but straight Country music from 1963 until about 1995. It put a lot of food on my table and a decently filled wallet. But I always liked other music. Now, I like just about all genres except Gansta Rap (other rap is generally okay) and Shoegaze. Back in the 60's and 70's, COuntry music, for the most part, was 3 or 4 chords, usually predictable. I knew there was a lot more than G-C-D and A7 in music! I love experimenting in new genres and even mixing components from various genres in one song. To give you an idea, some of my favorite singers are Diana Krall, Steve Tyrell, Etta James, Tony Bennet, Lou Rawls and Ray Price.

Wishing you the very best,

Al and Di
Hello Joanne!

Awww, thank you so much for those very kind words! We both appreciate it so very much. Di is the real singer...I get close if all goes well! We appreciate the listen and comments!

Al & Di
Hi Guenter...

Thank you very much! We're delighted you enjoyed the song! Wishing you the best...

Al & Di
PG...

Thanks so much. We sure do appreciate the nice comments! Best to you...

Al & Di
Hi Tommy...

Thanks so much for those very nice comments! It's one of our favorite genres. Glad you enjoyed it!

Al ^ Di
Hi FMM...

Glad you liked it...thanks so much for letting us now...much appreciated. Best to you...

Al & Di
Dani...

You are always so kind with your words! Thank you very much. Best to you...

Al & Di
Hi Floyd...

Thanks bunch. we were surprised how well that Sax track fit. We've talked to a lot of folks who've said they have a lot of trouble getting the Sax tracks right. Glad you liked it. Thanks! Best to you...

Al & Di
Hey Ian...

Hope that water didn't start to boil while you were still wet! HA! It's a bit suggestive for the typical ear but that genre often gets a lot more graphic with the lyrics. We tried to keep it PG rated.

We're getting snow today...about 2 inches so far. It's 22F here, about -6C. Thanks for the kind words! We always appreciate hearing from you. Best to you...

Al & Di
Hats off to you for the sax! I've about given up on trying to get one to sit right. Nice smooth production -- located somewhere, to my ears, on the journey from traditional R&B to contemporary R&B. Y'all have this genre nailed and we really enjoy what you do. Straight country to R&B....reckon that could have been a long strange trip but it sure worked out well for you.
Hi Janice & Bud...

Glad this one sits nicely in your ears. Thanks for the very nice comments. Actually, it wasn't such a difficult transition. I've (Al) always enjoyed many genres of music and they seem to come fairly naturally to me. I think it's actually a deficit to be fairly competent in multiple genres as it's hard to establish an audience. But, ya know, I had my 30+ years in the spotlight doing Country. Now I/we do whatever in the heck we want and have fun with it.

Thanks again! best to you both...

Al & Di
OK - I tried to listen, but there must be a momentary problem at SoundClick because the playback would stop after just a few seconds. They must have known I was comin'

Try again later, but I think they got the censors watching just for me.

Dean
Al, like that sexy Barry White vibe.

Josie
Al,

Nice, well written song. Good job on the vocals and mix.

Thanks for sharing it.

Steve
Hi Dean,

Sorry it didn't load properly for you. It's working for me and, apparently, others here. It looks like you caught it at the moment Soundclick was have a burp! Thanks for the effort. Hopefully it will work for you soon. Best to you...

Al & Di
Hi Josey...

Thank you so much! Barry White works for me. Actually I have one I've not yet posted that was written with Barry White specifically in mind. It's called "There Ain't No Way".

This one was written no one in particular in mind. But as I listened after I recorded it, i thought of Lou Rawls and Barry White. Thanks for the kind words!

Al & Di
Good Evening, Steve...

Thanks so much for the listen and very nice words. We sure do appreciate it! Wishing you a great night.

Al & Di
Suggestive? Whatever do you mean... smile

'Passion with no limits' That's a song title too!

You sure have a flair for this genre, and the lyrics are steamy.
Hi Scott...

Yeah, maybe a wee bit suggestive...ha! Got your PM...amd yeah, you might be right about that. And there might be a song in "Passion With No Limits", too. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Ya know, this genre comes to us fairly easy and I grew up playing Bucks Owens, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Faron Young, etc. I don't have a Country voice, although that's my strong suit musically.

There will be more to come in this genre. And thank you for the kind words! Best to ya...

Al and Di
© PG Music Forums