PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand One for Paco - 03/07/14 04:05 PM
One of the world's guitar titans died a few weeks ago, a man who revolutionized flamenco guitar: Paco de Lucia.

A couple of Forum members have mentioned my quick hands and I call that a "Crocodile Dundee" moment. In the movie, Croc and his girl, visiting New York City, are accosted by a mugger brandishing a switchblade. Croc's girl gasps and warns, "He's got a knife!!" Croc says, " 'At? At's not a 'noif! 'Iss is a 'noif!" He pulls out this monster hunting blade and slices a Zorro cut through the mugger's shirt without touching any skin. Mugger runs for his life.

Now, why this story? You want to see fast hands on a guitar? I implore you to watch this video. Paco de Lucia is the one on the right, the only one of the three guitarists not using a pick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_5YZbmLI4c

These fellas make me look like molasses dripping inside a refrigerator. So, I can't offer up anything like Paco to pay homage. The closest I can come is just pulling out a nylon guitar and playing what I think is Wayne Shorter's darkest, most enigmatic creation. Paco de Lucia was very jazz influenced and I think he might have liked this:

RIO https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/rio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: One for Paco - 03/07/14 04:52 PM
Really nice one, Dean!

The nylon string guitar suits your playing style really well - sounds great!

Nice production and a good mix. Enjoyable. Smooth...

floyd
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: One for Paco - 03/07/14 10:00 PM
Very nicely played, well mixed and arranged, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: dani48 Re: One for Paco - 03/07/14 10:48 PM
Hi, Dean !

I listened to the Paco video and.....
I was so mesmerized that I had to watch
it till the very end !:))
I am not sure I will touch the guitar
for a while after that treatment !!

I still hold you for one of the best
guitar players in the world !:))

Rio is also just wonderful !:))
Gracias mi querido amigo !

Cheers
tu amigo
Dani
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: One for Paco - 03/08/14 01:47 AM
Dean, very sensitively portrayed. I reckon you have delivered this track really well.

The way Wayne used dissonant harmonies in his composing demonstrated his creative abilities to constantly push boundaries.

And a nice tribute, too.

Thanks for the listen.
Trevor
Posted By: cubanpete Re: One for Paco - 03/08/14 04:30 AM
Very nicely done Dean. Yes, a great loss. Although IMHO not a purist as a Flamenco player, but surely learned from the bests in the world. He without a doubt had his own style leaning a lot toward progressive jazz. I've seen some of his performances and sometimes I wondered if he had more that 10 fingers!

Later

Mike B.
Posted By: boehm Re: One for Paco - 03/08/14 06:15 PM
Hi Dean,

you need not hide behind the original.
This is superb playing.
I enjoyed everything.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: One for Paco - 03/09/14 01:39 PM
Nice tribute to a stellar musician whom I would have never known of had it not been for this post.

Enjoyed the playing and the arrangement. You've made me a fan of nylon strings.
Posted By: MarioD Re: One for Paco - 03/09/14 04:22 PM
Excellent musicianship there Aleck! Your guitar technique is second to none!

I have that CD you mentioned. You are right in the fact that those three are extremely fast guitarist. The problem is have with the CD, if I remember correctly, is that all of the songs sound the same! That is nothing but rapid rifts with few melodic lines. If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will let me know and I’ll give it another listen.
Posted By: tommyad Re: One for Paco - 03/10/14 05:03 PM
Look Ma no pick. Great video. Very nice work on this song. You expand our musical horizons with every post. It is a great education just listening to your originals and covers. Thanks and keep up the beautiful work.
Posted By: Mac Re: One for Paco - 03/10/14 05:11 PM
Sounds like the stringbuzz of a Fretless Nylon in there, Aleck.

--Mac
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/10/14 06:35 PM
Mario,

You're a guy who knows how to hit the nail on the head.

With McLaughlin you can start at any point in any solo and hear a machine-gun burst of notes. At least that's what I hear. He does not seem to be a melodist as an improvisor. In other words, I can't imagine singing or even remembering any "licks" that might make me say, "yeah!" The only feature I can tell you about what I hear is that it's fast, not that it's, say, bluesy or Trane-like or has the same quality X that that other guitarist over there has, etc.

Paco, on the other hand, seems to deliver melodic ideas along with the speed. From my point of view, speed devoid of ideas is like a double-talk artist who can do it at high speed. So, er, whad 'e say?

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/10/14 06:43 PM
Mac,

Now there's an idea: a fretless nylon. Every so often, I've heard of guys playing fretless guitars, or fingerboards that are scalloped instead of equipped with frets. Then there's Charlie Hunter who plays an 8-string guitar using a (nonparallel) fretting system that lets him play bass on the top three strings. Few have followed in these directions, though.

Aleck Rand (aka Dean Clark)
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 05:04 PM
Floyd,

You have the ears to understand a tune like this, which I think is at the outer limits of harmonic intelligibility. At least it was for me and that's why I became obsessed with it. I had to understand it. What I'll never understand is how Shorter came up with these changes. I can't trace any of it back to anything familiar. I mean, it ain't "Girl from Ipanema," that's for sure.

And thank you for the kind remarks.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 05:11 PM
Guenter, my ever probing friend:

I'm not sure if "hiding behind the original" is right, but I'm not saying it's wrong either. I admit to having been obsessed with this tune and a subconscious motive for posting the original was possibly to show Forum members what they're up against if they're trying to understand a tune like this.

And, of course, I appreciate your positive response.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 08:25 PM
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Of course, you're right about Shorter. His penetrating insight into harmony and instinct for the "hip zone" haven't been matched by anyone else I can think of.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 08:31 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Thank you for your kind remarks on Rio, a difficult tune if there ever was one. Glad to hear you're liking nylons (strings, not stockings). That inspires me to get that same sound into my next post.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 08:43 PM
Thanks Mike,

You're quite right. Give me old Carlos Montoya anytime, but there are some new and brilliant Flamenco players around that I've just discovered. For instance, check out Don Cortes Maya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359Bxg4Tp1w

What a sound he gets out of the instrument. The whole thing is just jaw-dropping. Some of those fire-breathing licks of pure Spanish soul can blast your clothes off. I hope you and others get to see that video.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 08:51 PM
Tommy,

Special thanks for those generous and kind words. In fact, I do like to add a little extra to a post if I can. Whenever I find a link that I feel people have just got to see, I'll include it, even if it relates only tangentially to the music I'm posting.

Hearing that you find them a source of new knowledge and possibly inspiration is a real thrill.

I hear you got a rep now as the blues guitar king of the Forum. Buddy, you can add my vote to that.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 08:58 PM
Thanks Dani and PGF,

I'm going to quote from my reply to MarioD about superfast guitar players:
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
With McLaughlin you can start at any point in any solo and hear a machine-gun burst of notes. At least that's what I hear. He does not seem to be a melodist as an improvisor. In other words, I can't imagine singing or even remembering any "licks" that might make me say, "yeah!" The only feature I can tell you about what I hear is that it's fast, not that it's, say, bluesy or Trane-like or has the same quality X that that other guitarist over there has, etc.

Paco, on the other hand, seems to deliver melodic ideas along with the speed. From my point of view, speed devoid of ideas is like a double-talk artist who can do it at high speed. So, er, whad 'e say?
Dean
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: One for Paco - 03/13/14 11:38 PM
hi dean great sound on guitar loved it very well done thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Al-David Re: One for Paco - 03/14/14 02:14 AM
Dean...

I love things out of the ordinary, and this fits the bill. I play a little Gypsy Jazz, well...until my fingers so "not any more" because of the Focal Dystonia...and I admire fast but with grace and emotion, nor just fast for the sake of fast. This guy has it and your music does, too.

Terrific music, my friend! Loved every note...and the intro was super! Thanks for the YouTube link.

You never fail to impress me. It's always a pleasure clicking onto one of your songs! best to ya...

Al & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: One for Paco - 03/14/14 10:35 AM
Hi Dean,

"Very stylish, very classy, so smooth, musical ambrosia" were just some of the phrases that faded in and out of my mind as I listened. There's no doubting the fact that you are a talented composer, arranger and performer. I loved the bass intro and the bending note.

I can't believe that 3:54 disappeared so quickly.

In a nutshell, this work was a delight to listen to.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: olemon Re: One for Paco - 03/16/14 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Dean,

"Very stylish, very classy, so smooth, musical ambrosia" were just some of the phrases that faded in and out of my mind as I listened. There's no doubting the fact that you are a talented composer, arranger and performer. I loved the bass intro and the bending note.

I listened to this fine composition the other day, Dean, and again this morning. You are so technically and musically advanced, I struggle to find something to say. Looking through the comments, I think Noel captured my sentiments.

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: One for Paco - 03/17/14 04:38 AM
Languishing on a "Procrastinator" album seems appropriate. I know of Wayne Shorter mostly from Steely Dan tunes. I believe he also played on THE END OF THE INNOCENCE for Don Henley, and did beautiful work for Joni Mitchell on TURBULENT INDIGO. This is a great tune, and I love your take on it!!! Very sweet indeed!! Keep posting. Take care. Greg
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/17/14 04:22 PM
Hi Olemon,

You have paid me such a profound compliment that I, myself, don't know how to respond other than to reply with a deeply felt Thank You.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/17/14 04:26 PM
Thank you Noel.

Did you notice that RIO does not have the AABA form, but it's one of those exceptions that prove the rule. I've been thinking about your interesting comments on the AABA structure, so the next post will have this feature. I think you'll like it.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/17/14 04:28 PM
Al and Di,

Hi folks. I hope all is well. Such wonderful compliments. Thank you so much.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: One for Paco - 03/21/14 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Languishing on a "Procrastinator" album seems appropriate.
Greg, I wish I had thought of that ironic twist wink. I'm very pleased that you liked my take on it.

Dean
© PG Music Forums