PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 03:01 AM
Hello PG music friends. I have really enjoyed hearing your excellent and diverse work. This is another track recorded with all real tracks (don't remember exactly which) other than the drums (EZdrummer), and the electric guitar solo (Bill Edwards, my kids' guitar teacher). Let me know what you think. I know the drums are a little funky at times. Take care. Greg

P.S. Lyrics to follow

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/b-home-soon
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 11:18 AM
Hi Greg

A nice change in the styles you have produced previously, further demonstrating your song writing talent. Great vocal, as usual, and the B3 sitting behind works really well.

And it's always good to have a special guest artists to do a solo or so too!

Really enjoyed this listen. Thank for the chance.
Cheers

Trevor
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 01:01 PM
Hi, Greg !!:))

This was a very nice tune indeed !:))
And your voice..... you have a BB voice
with which you can do whatever you like !:))
Thank you Greg !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: boehm Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 02:59 PM
Hi Greg,
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Great vocal, as usual, and the B3 sitting behind works really well.
And it's always good to have a special guest artists to do a solo or so too!
Really enjoyed this listen. Thanks for the chance.

+1 from me.
Guenter
Posted By: Elliott Kayne Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 03:01 PM
Very radio friendly vocals, nice changes, like the guitar lead, though I was expecting a middle 8 after the lead guitar to bring the song to a peak.
Posted By: trapper456 Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 04:27 PM
This is the first time I have ever heard you. Man you have got an excellent vocal. I am listening to more of your songs on Sound-Cloud wow. I used to be a radio D.J. for a local radio station and you got the kind of vocal that I would play... Nice song, thanks for sharing...
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/10/14 04:37 PM
Greg, Outstanding vocal! An excellent write-simple and beautiful melody. The chord progression is really nice. The guitar part = perfect. I am several listens in and I will be revisiting this many times. My favorite of yours so far. Great Job!!!
Posted By: Steve Mac Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/11/14 10:16 PM
Really good vocal as others have said, good thoughtful lyrics, enjoyed it
Cheers Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/12/14 08:08 AM
Hey Greg,

Everything about this is fantastic - writing, arranging, performing, producing. Wow!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/13/14 02:08 AM
BABY, BE HOME SOON

There’s nothin’ like a cold, gray day to make a body feel alone
There’s nothin’ like you leavin’ to make my heart sink like a stone
There’s nothin’ like your tender touch to make December feel like June
Oh, sweet baby, baby be home soon

Cause baby when your gone, it’s like my motor quits
I try my smile on, but it just don’t seem to fit
I can’t go on, and that’s the hell of it
It’s like I’m off the mark, ain’t got no spark, I’m out of tune
Oh sweet baby, baby be home soon

There’s somethin’ about the magic you can find in things so small
There’s somethin’ about you makes somethin’ good out of nothin’ much at all
There’s somethin’ about the way you look in the pale light of the moon
Oh, sweet baby, baby be home soon

Cause baby when you’re gone…

Here are the lyrics. Thanks for all the kind words to all. Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichMac Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/13/14 02:26 AM
Beautifully done. Love the organ. Great voice and lyrics. Cheers.
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/13/14 03:24 AM
Greg..

Wow, what really nice song! This is very commercial. Your voice shines and the arrangement is spot on. This is a little different from what we're used to hearing from you...but different in a very good way!

We totally enjoyed this great pice of music!

Al & Di
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/13/14 03:32 PM
Greg,

Always enjoy hearing another from you. The vocal in this is a real stand out! Love the way you sing. So comfortable. The vocal recording is superb (What mic? What reverb? any other processing/plugins?)

The organ sounds great. It's hard to get those to sit this well in a mix (often you will hear them way too low). The guitars sound good. The drums seem "odd" to me. The stick sounds great. The rest of the kit sounds like they are all over the room - different levels and different amounts of reverb. The kick seems to be in two different places - the accent different than the main beat. The snare seems too dry (and I generally like a dry snare). It just doesn't sound like a coherent kit - and all your other productions have had solid drums.

A good write. Interesting imagery for this type "love song". A very enjoyable listen.

floyd
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/14/14 01:57 AM
Thanks for the kind words!! Much appreciated. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/14/14 01:58 AM
Thanks for checking it out guys!! Always love hearing from you, and hearing your tunes! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: Baby, be home soon - 03/14/14 02:07 AM
Thanks for the support and kind words!! You're right, the drums just don't work well. Drums are always my weak point but particularly on this song which has a bit of an unusual structure. My mixing is somewhat impaired due to the fact that I do it all with cans since my workspace is a tiny table with a laptop. The vocal was recorded with an Audio Technica 4060. I have a Neve 1272 mic pre. Even though I like the Neve, I am less convinced the preamp is of huge importance than I used to be. With plugins, the best I've found for everything you want to sound pretty (vs. fat) is JJP Puigchild. I use it now for all ballad vocals in mixing. My favorite "sweet" EQ is the Manny Marroquin bundle one. I also used the reverb from the bundle on a lot of mixes. And, I used the Aphex Waves plug-in (vocal preset) which really gives a nice defining characteristic to many things, particularly vocals. Always appreciate your comments, AND your work. Take care Floyd. Greg
© PG Music Forums