PG Music Home
Posted By: boehm Zimmer - 03/11/14 04:03 PM
Zimmer

Hi all,

On 03/02/2014 fgcomposer posted his three versions of the Bleeding Fingers Contest by Hans Zimmer. http://soundcloud.com/flavio-gargano
Unfortunately he was thrown out of the forum because he didn't use PGMusic software. (His versions were very good though). But he gave me the idea of taking part in the contest. http://www.hanszimmerwantsyou.com/
Unluckily the contest was already closed (deadline February 24).
But as I had so much fun with the stems of Imogen Heap I wanted to experiment with the stems of Hans Zimmer.
I used the strings stem, the voice stem and parts of the percussion stem.
http://soundcloud.com/bleeding-fingers/sets/hans-zimmer-wants-you-1/
For the voice I created a harmony in Melodyne.
My imagination of the style was something Celtic (I had Riverdance in mind). And I found some RTs for that.
What I was missing was a fitting soloist.
I would never have thought I would ever use something like bluegrass, but there it was: the bluegrass fiddle. It suited perfectly, and I like it. Never say never again.

RealDrums-BodhranCelticReel^1-Woods
RT1162_ Bass, Acoustic, CelticReel Ev
RT1164_ Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticReel Ev
RT596_Fiddle, Soloist Bluegrass Doc Ev

http://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/zimmer-bleeding-finger-contest

I hope you enjoy.

Guenter
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Zimmer - 03/11/14 05:45 PM
That's a totally wonderful sound you got going on there, there is no way I could have told you that was all RT's if you hadn't said so. That bluegrass fiddle fit in perfectly. I think you did some pretty outstanding arranging and mixing, too. Nice job on the harmony creation!

Dang, that is totally wonderful. If you are involved with music libraries and have some successes in the past (they know you), that should get picked up in a hurry!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Zimmer - 03/11/14 07:53 PM
Wow, Gunther, what a wonderful piece of music. The Bodhran RT is excellent.

Danke.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Zimmer - 03/11/14 09:47 PM
Reading the track list, I would never have expected this to work - but it is superb!
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 01:02 AM
Guenter,
What a great and culturally diverse set of instruments and sounds you have provided.
Nice job!
Trevor
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 06:27 AM
Hi Guenter,

"Thoughtful, creative, amazing, wow, spectacular" were just a few of the many words that ran around in my brain as I listened. This is one of the best instrumental arrangements I've heard in the forum. It's awesome.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
That's a totally wonderful sound you got going on there, there is no way I could have told you that was all RT's if you hadn't said so. That bluegrass fiddle fit in perfectly. I think you did some pretty outstanding arranging and mixing, too. Nice job on the harmony creation!

Dang, that is totally wonderful. If you are involved with music libraries and have some successes in the past (they know you), that should get picked up in a hurry!

Hi Guenter

Plus one and two to what Kevin said. Awesome stuff. Really!!
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 05:37 PM
Hi Kevin,

thanks a lot.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 05:40 PM
Hi Don,

from my 34 contributions this is the first you
comment. Thank you a lot.
Is it just that Bodhran?

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 05:43 PM
Hi Ian, Trevor, Noel and Josie,

thank you very much for your
nice comments.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 08:59 PM
Bluegrass roots are in the Appalachian mountains, US, and the genre developed from English and Celtic influences -- particularly with the fiddle playing. So it makes a perfect match. And that really shows in your production! Another one of your wonderful "How the heck did he do that?" arrangements. It is always a pleasant surprise what comes out of the pot when you through in so many seemingly incongruous ingredients. Awesome.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 09:13 PM
Why did the person get thrown off the forum, I know there are times others do not use a pg product but I had never heard of any being kicked off for that. The music sounded great thanks for sharing, that is a great idea I wish more composers did stuff like that.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 09:39 PM
Hi, Guenter !

I am absolutely stunned by this
beautiful tune with it´s marvelous
vocals and playing ! This is my
absolute Guenter favorite tune now !!
I have to say WOW !!!:))

Cheers
Guenter
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Zimmer - 03/12/14 11:34 PM
Hi Guenter, excellent piece of music as usual. Hans Zimmer has been one of my favorites movie score writers for a long time, and this one sure poses a good tribute to him. IMHO, I think that the blue grass fiddle fit so well because chances are that the roots of BG playing comes from Irish and Celtic music in general.

Later

Mike B.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 02:07 AM
Like that percussion and bass. Also like everything else but the percussion particularly gets me. Cheers.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 03:38 AM
Guenter...

What a great sound...powerful and full of fun energy! That Bodhran percussion is wonderful and the female vocal adds just the right spice. Great song! Super song!

Best to you...

Al & Di
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 03:56 PM
Hi Janice & Bud, Robert, Dani, Mike, RichMac and Al,

thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and your
most kind comments.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 04:06 PM
Guenter,

Brilliant!

I really like how you have shifted the focus. The original was so "overblown majestic". Yours has an intimacy to it. You seemed to have turned the original inside-out. Setting the orchestration back, bringing the vocals forward, adding the fiddle and percussion. A true transformation! You created a new piece instead of "enhancing" the original. More enjoyable than the original, I think...

As always, in awe...

floyd
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 05:18 PM
Hi Guenter,

Everyone is saying "Wow!" Let me just add to that how utterly convincing this creation is. The orchestration sounds like it's been worked over by a professional arranger. The sound is huge and pure. Very impressive.

Dean
Posted By: tommyad Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 10:04 PM
Guenter, It's amazing some of things you can find in BIAB with a little exploration. You certainly are one of the best at blending styles. A totally enjoyable listen. Expertly mixed. The fiddle is the perfect choice. Very nicely done.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Zimmer - 03/13/14 11:24 PM
hi Guenter excellent totally creative love this very well done great mix amazesing thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/14/14 03:19 PM
Hi Floyd, Dean and Tommy,

thank you very much for your compliments.
I feel honoured.

Guenter
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/15/14 03:43 PM
Hi Eric,

thanks a lot for listening and commenting.

Guenter
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Zimmer - 03/16/14 08:02 AM
I love this. Some movie producer is missing out on a mega epic theme! Very nice.
Carolyne
Posted By: olemon Re: Zimmer - 03/16/14 02:19 PM
Fantastic!! Wow!!

Disney could have used this in Lion King, or Brave, and should use it in the next feature film....

And then it ended, leaving me wanting more.

That percussion is beyond perfect.

This is absolutely wonderful.
Posted By: boehm Re: Zimmer - 03/17/14 04:51 PM
Hi Carolyne and Scott,

thank you so much for your nice comments.

Guenter
© PG Music Forums