PG Music Home
This is the next song in my series of stories from South Africa and other places. It is the story of a township boy who goes off to audition for Idols. I used Floyd’s choir claps for this one so you will need to hang in there till near the end to hear them.
I hope you enjoy it and any comments, as always, are most welcome!

South African Idol on Youtube

South African Idol on Soundcloud

Real Tracks in song
RealTracks in style: 1415:Bass, Electric, PopSw16RootFive Sw16 075
RealTracks in song: 1725:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1595:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop8thsSteady Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1002:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockA-B Ev16 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^7-a,b:Snare, HiHat
Floyds Choir Clap user track
BossRockPercussion

Song Lyrics
With a cobra polish tin
And a two by two with Wire
Sipho learns to play and sing
A township nightingale
Sittin’ solemn ‘neath the trees
Gods praises have begun
The elders ask for him to lead the others in a song

Chorus
Laughing a song clapping a song stomping a song
Drumming a song Living a song
Loving a song
Living a song loving a song

Earnest with his wallet fat
Hears his cousin sing
You should enter idols man
I’m sure that you could win
You can win a larney car
Recording contract too
Joburg is not very far
It’s what you should really do
Chorus
Sipho braves the blazing sum
10,000 people there
TV cameras having fun
The judges sit and star
Sipho he is very shy
He sings his worship song
“If you can’t sing in English man
We can’t take you alone
Chorus
Sipho’s home with granny
In township’s evening dust
These white guys they are crazy man
He tells her with a shrug

Joanne,

This is excellent! Love the song and video... Very nice job.

Bob
You definitely have a smooth musical style that is yours.

Love the melody, especially the chorus. Your vocal is sweet and the harmonies support nicely. It builds dynamically to the end, and has me singing along.

Everything sits well in the mix, and a surprise ending to boot:) Perfect.

Clever title too.
That brings back memories. As a kid I tried to build an instrument out of a cobra polish tin and a broom handle. laugh
Hi Joanne,

The big ending with the choir really punches up the chorus and compliments your voice.

Nice work on the video.

Josie
Nice work, as always!! I think it might be interesting to mix the content of the chorus (----a song) with alternating lines. Just a thought. Take care. Keep up the great work. Greg
Hi All.
I have updated the original post with the link to the Soundcloud page for those who would prefer to listen to the song that way.
Robert - Thanks for the nice comments and also for commenting on Youtube.

Scott - Thanks for that! Glad you liked the surprise ending. Not quite what you would expect hey?

Sinbad - I thought Cobra polish was a South African thing but obviously not. I wonder how many other kids gave it a try.

Josie - Thanks for listening and for your nice comments as usual. The choir was a different challenge for me.

Greg - Thanks for listening and commenting. I am not too sure what you mean about alternating the lines on the chorus. Can you enlighten me?
Good video, song and story. I bet there are 10,000 stories close to that at every idol audition (in all sorts of languages!). It should register with a lot of folks. Nice performance, as usual.
Reading the lyrics, I wasn't so sure about this song, but I opted to view the video.

I'm certainly glad I did. Good song, good job.

I think you captured the spirit of the musicians who, simply for the love of music, play their instruments and sing. I think you also nailed how the pop culture is not looking for musically talented folks, but ones who fit a certain mold.... perhaps that they look a certain way, and speak a certain way.

Nice work. Great job on the video. That video really fits that song into it's proper perspective.
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Sinbad - I thought Cobra polish was a South African thing but obviously not. I wonder how many other kids gave it a try.

It is, I used to live in Mosselbaai
Wonderful audio and video. Kudos re the vocals, instrumental support and arrangement. But....what impressed us the most is how you are able to take a subject that is so contextual to your culture and experience and make it available to folks like us. And, make it understood and meaningful. That may be what folk music is, or should be, all about. Thanks for sharing this.

J&B
Joanne,

Super job! Good write! Good vocal. Good mix. A long way from that girl who was hesitant to remove "aspiring"...

Great job on the choir! You did not even mention how you did that... BIABettes? - sounds really good, whatever it is... nice use of the claps!

Terrific video (terrific story). Well done.

floyd
Hi Kevin. Thanks for the listen. Nice to have you back on the forum after FAWM. Hope we are going to hear some of your FAWM songs on the Jelly.

Herb - Thanks for these comments and for giving the song a chance. I think a lot of talent falls by the wayside on these competitions because of other factors (other than being able to sing and perform. Looks is one that comes to mind immediately.)

Chris – Small world! Did you grow up there?

Bud and Janice – I am so glad you enjoyed it. There is so much interesting song writing material here in this country (as I am sure there is wherever one lives). I agree that helping others understand the culture of where you live is what folk music should be all about. I’m am so thankful for Band in a Box for helping me find my musical direction. I never knew I was a folk singer before I started with this wonderful program.

Floyd – Thanks for your kind comments. I must tell you I was just busy composing an email to you to see if you could help with a melody on this one (it had a hard time being born!!!) when this melody came to me and I went with it. The choir is done with BIABettes. I first did one “4 in unison“ (changed the gender to be male). Then I added in one with “4 down” – also with gender changed to be male. Lastly I added one “4 above” – gender female. I also ticked the “Large choir” effect on TC Helicon. The choir claps added the icing (wonderful things these user tracks).
Hi Josie,
Originally Posted By: Sundance

The big ending with the choir really punches up the chorus and compliments your voice.
Nice work on the video.

This song makes you sing along.

Guenter
Very nicely done, vocal is outstanding and the mix sounds great; thanks for sharing!
Joanne:

I really like the song and the video. You did a good job on both.

Where did you find your footage to use?

John
Hi Guenter and Robert. Thanks for listening and your kind comments.

John - the footage is mostly from a stock video site called videoblocks. You can get a free 7 day trial but you have to give your credit card details so make sure you cancel well before the 7 days are up.

Regards
Josie,

So glad I found this one before it hit the second page. This is wonderful, that little vacation you took has really stirred up your creative juices as you have been writing gem after gem since your return.

Good on ya, your work keeps getting better with each new project.

Later,
Hi, Josie !:))

I have listened to this new tune
of yours several times and I must
say I think it is my favorite Jotune
now !:)) Just super !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Hi Josie, my thought was "____ing a song. ____ing a song, alternating with a standard kind of longer content line. It's a beautiful song but I thought this might give some room for another thought in the chorus and break the pattern up. Take care. Greg
Hi Dan * 2 (DannyC and Dani) - Thanks listening and for the nice comments.

DannyC - I am looking forward to seeing your show on the 29th.

Dani - I have a new song for you. You will need to come and see my show on SJ again sometime and I will play it for you.

Greg - Thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean. It probably would have worked better and I will try next time.
josie, Really nice writing. Well put together and a terrific video. I enjoyed it.
Hi Tommy. Thanks so much for listening and for your comments.
Hi, Joanne -

I really enjoyed this song. And the ending was great with the handclaps. Sounds like you got some inspiration from "Good Morning Starshine". I'm glad you later this and I love the integration of the video elements on the YouTube video.
Josie,
Nice story song. It communicates the message very well. Good writing.
SD
Hi John. I had forgotten about "Good morning sunshine". I love that song! It is a very great compliment to have my song compared to that one.

Hi SD - Thanks for listening and for the kind comments. Much appreciated.
Hi Joanne...

We've been off the site for a while, but back...at least off and on...now.

To be able to capture the essence of a culture that's not widely considered avante-garde make the presentation so compelling is a tribute to your skill and insight. The video was wonderful! And your song is so danged good! We were moved by this piece of music. Congrats on a super job! Best to you...

Al & Di
Hi Josie,

What a wonderful visual and aural journey.

I agree with floyd, there's no hint of "aspiring" anywhere in any of your songs. Your work is excellent.

Just heading back for another listen ...

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Apologies for taking so long to get to this. I'm really glad that I didn't miss it.
Hi Noel, Alan and Di.
Thank you so much for your kind comments on my song and video. It is really very much appreciated. Noel, I love the illustrations. I can tell you are a teacher!
Regards
Really enjoyed the innocence and freshness which involved me in this song. Joyful video. Had several listens. Cheers.
© PG Music Forums