PG Music Home
BIAB styles:....CHAMBER1, ARPORK44 (Classical)

RealTracks:.....BASSES 1825, 1827 (Pop Modern Groove)

RealDrums:.....BOSSALEWIS^01

Performers:....Martin Jones (lead vocal)
.......................Aleck Rand (arrangement, production, rhythm and .......................lead guitars)
.......................Lance and the Dark (backup vocal harmonies)

See additional SoundCloud notes about this 70's blockbuster. Martin and I hope that you enjoy it.

WILDFLOWER
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/wildflower-in-collaboration
Very well done, Thanks for sharing!
Hi, Dean and Martin !:))

I liked this tune as well
as the performance !
Congrats on a superb collab !:))

Cheers
Dani
Hi Dani, my friend,

Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. No doubt about it, it's a great tune. I'm hoping we at least matched, as a total performance, the definitive version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs although the lead singer, Donny Gerrard, can't be topped. That dude can sang, bubba!

One thing we couldn't handle was the key, originally Eb. Gerrard has a big but sweet top end and neither Martin nor I can get up there, let alone with the expressive power that Gerrard has. So we took it down to D. But, I think Martin did as good a job as anyone could, including the O'Jays who also did a version.

Dean
Thanks so much PGF.
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
I'm hoping we at least matched, as a total performance, the definitive version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs
Dean
Hi Dean,

great playing and beautiful voice.
I like the harmonies.
But I'm sorry to say: you spoilt it with the mix.
It's like a four track production from the
early 60s where you find the drums on the right and the
organ on the left. And the vocals seem to be recorded
in a bathroom. Just IMHO.
This is a good mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtivKC-7-Oc

Guenter
Hi Guenter,

I count you, along with Floyd, Noel96, MarioD and others, as one of my most perceptive and constructive critics. I agree with you, but I am not as skilled at mixing as you are. I listened to the track you suggested and it is certainly at one or two levels of professionalism higher than what Martin and I did. The sound is so pure, accurate and clear. The question is: How to get there?

More than ever, I'm convinced that the performers, arrangers, players, etc. should not be doing the mixing but, rather, a third independent party who really knows his/her stuff in this specialized area.

Thank you for these insights.

Dean
Dean,

Some very tasty guitar in there. Guenter already hit on the drum placement (they need to be centered) and the guitar would be good slide over some (to the right). Martin did a fine job singing. Lance and the boys did some fine harmonies... a beautiful song, of course...

floyd
Hey Floyd,

Thanks so much; I was hoping you'd chime in with some concrete suggestions - I'm messing around with it now and will implement your recommendations on pan settings. I know that part of the problem is the rendering into SoundCloud. Something did not go right and the fidelity isn't there. I'm checking alternatives.

Dean
I love the song but as already been mentioned its not a great mix..I would certainly have a redo Im sure with all the input it will improve... the song is worth it Frankie
Hey Frankie - thanks for backing up the previous opinions. It's been done. It's better ... I hope. If you can, let me know.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Following the recommendations of Forum members - now with Mike (aka CubanPete) joining the list of most preceptive and helpful critics - yet a new mix of Wildflower is available by clicking on the link above, or below. This tries to take some of the reverb off Martin's voice.

The constructive advice has been invaluable. Thank you all, even if I'm never able to haul this fish in.
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
BIAB styles:....CHAMBER1, ARPORK44 (Classical)

RealTracks:.....BASSES 1825, 1827 (Pop Modern Groove)

RealDrums:.....BOSSALEWIS^01

Performers:....Martin Jones (lead vocal)
.......................Aleck Rand (arrangement, production, rhythm and .......................lead guitars)
.......................Lance and the Dark (backup vocal harmonies)

See additional SoundCloud notes about this 70's blockbuster. Martin and I hope that you enjoy it.

WILDFLOWER
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/wildflower-in-collaboration
Hi Dean, when it comes to one of your productions one can help it but listen to it. And as with most of them this one is no disappointment, but I have to agree that the voice maybe has a little too much reverb in it, and the drums as well IMHO. Overall a very enjoyable piece.

Regards

Mike B.
Hi Dean,

This is such a great song and I really like the feeling you've created in the arrangement. You're an awesome musician! I also have to say that Martin's singing rings with sincerity and overflows with competence (as do your guitars!). "Top notch" is a worthy and applicable phrase to use.

Lastly, I like the effect you created with the reverb/delay on the vocals. It made me think of a sultry outdoor setting in the tropics smile As I listened, though, I found myself pondering what Mike (above) wrote and I wondered how the song would sound with the vocals made less wet than they presently are. I simply pass that on for what it's worth.

As always, I leave you song feeling inspired with ideas. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel
Mike,

You're right. I've tried to take off some of the 'verb off Martin's voice. I hope you see this message and can check out the new mix.

Thanks for your help.

Dean
Love it!! Always loved this song, but never knew who wrote or sang it. Vocalist here does a great job with it!! Love the guitar too!! Keep 'em coming!! Take care. Greg
Greg,

I think I FINALLY got Martin Jones' voice out of the closet AND out of the subway, i.e., I think I got the reverb right in this last mix.

I'll tell you, your kind remarks really help after all the brain wracking.

Dean
Hi Dean...

I've been away from the site for over a week. What a nice way to get back!

I didn't hear the original mix, but this one sounds pretty decent to me. Martin did a fabulous vocal for you and the guitar work is super! This is a terrific song. As always, we never fell disappointed when we click onto one of your songs...always a treat!

You mentioned Soundcloud's rendering. We have an account there but almost never use it. One of the reasons is what you said...the rendering sometim3es gets a little muddled. But, the most significant problem we've had is it's a nightmare to get the songs to play. We can most other folks' songs to play but our don't half the time. We've tinkered with out browser settings, taken the advice of the Soundcloud folks and still have the same problems. We use Soundclick or our own site.

Anyway, we truly enjoyed our listen! Best to ya...

Al & Di
I certainly enjoyed it.
Thank you folks.

I feel somewhat vindicated in learning that you've had your problems with SoundCloud as well. And I'm glad you mentioned SoundClick, a site I'm not familiar with. It sounds like an alternative.

It's good that you didn't hear the original mixes. It was as though Martin's voice was a moving target - moving between singing in a closet or singing in a train station.

Valuable to know that you find the mix acceptable now.

Dean
Fabulous guitar and vocals!! The two things that make me most happy when I listen to about any genre.

Re Soundcloud I'm about ready to bail from the site. I've been posting my tunes to my website lately as I got disgusted with the playback quality, at times, from SC. I'm tired of spending hours mixing and mastering and have SC trash it in one fell swoop.

Your comments about mixing are interesting. FWIW, I feel that the artist should be heavily involved in the mix. Mastering is more iffy and there is a strong contingent that feels mastering should be disassociated from the artist. Dunno. But I think you know the soundscape that you are hearing with your arrangements and ultimately you'll get the best mix. Pardon the ramble, really enjoyed the listen.
Sounds very smooth and sophisticated to me. Lovely backing and clear lead vocal. Cheers.
Dean, What great guitar and vocal. Very nice production. I think the mix sounds pretty good. My only is the vocal still sounds a bit like a bathroom. That dude can sing! Keep up the good work. Tom
Tommy,

You're right about Martin - he really steals the show on this one. And you're right about the sound of Martin's voice. But, man, did I try.

Sometimes you can squeeze as hard as you like and still get no juice. And sometimes the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

You know how it is. Glad you liked it.

Dean
© PG Music Forums