PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 03/31/14 01:18 PM
Hi everybody -

I got a plumbing problem. There's been this strange blue stuff oozing up and down from my sink. In fact, the plumber was just getting to work when I started recording this. I heard a peculiar sound but didn't think anything of it. I thought I heard it again midway through recording and I know it wasn't my imagination at the end.

The strange thing is, I live right on the ocean but it's way too cold for skinny dipping. So, I'm still trying to figure out why the plumber's clothes are all in the sink.

Hat. Shoes. Belt. Everything. All perfectly neat and clean. Maybe he's from Finland and did go in for a quick dip. If you the idea is preposterous, then please check out this video, graciously furnished by Dani

http://www.visitfinland.com/article/a-refreshing-dip-icy-waters/

I'm sure that when he gets back he'll be happy to learn that I dedicated this song to him.

BAD BLUE OOZE https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/bad-blue-ooze

Aleck Rand plays electric 12 string guitar with two sets of Ernie Ball SuperSlinky 0.08's, i.e., there are six pairs of identical strings.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 03/31/14 01:28 PM
Dean,

Cool stuff. An enjoyable listen. Very good mix on this. Blub, blub, blub...

Nice playing. (Was hoping that you'd give that bass guy a chance to take lead somewhere...).

Well done.

floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 03/31/14 03:56 PM
Hi Dean,

very entertaining. Great playing and a good mix.
Really enjoyed it.

Guenter
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 03/31/14 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Dean,
very entertaining. Great playing and a good mix.
Really enjoyed it.
Guenter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dean,
Cool stuff. An enjoyable listen. Very good mix on this. Blub, blub, blub...
Nice playing. (Was hoping that you'd give that bass guy a chance to take lead somewhere...).
Well done.
floyd
Thanks fellas. Glad you liked it.

Dean
Posted By: dani48 Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 03/31/14 08:53 PM

Hi,buddy !:))

Pretty impressive playing allthrough !
Your reference to the Finnish plumber ?
I take it you ment this ? :

http://www.visitfinland.com/article/a-refreshing-dip-icy-waters/

Cheers
amigo
Daniel
Posted By: RichMac Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 03/31/14 09:02 PM
Really enjoyed this one. Especially the glug sounds and the more rhythmic parts. Cheers.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/01/14 04:23 AM
Hi Dean...

Wow...totally loved this! A mix somewhere between Fusion and Nu-Jazz. Super playing and what an arrangement! I could listen to this everyday for a long time...think I might! great stuff, my friend!

Al & Di
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/01/14 01:11 PM
Another cooool one! Wonderful playing and a fun creative arrangement. My dog ran outa the room with that very first flush sound...think she thought it was thunder smile However, after the blubs and when the guitar playing started she returned and lay down by the speaker. A border collie of refined tastes. This song was fun.
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/01/14 10:16 PM
Hi Dani,

Somehow I just knew you'd come in to cover me. I added that link to the main post.

And, of course, I'm glad you liked the tune, which may not sound like the blues but it is (with every possible weird chord substitution know to man - maybe more!)

Dean
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/02/14 02:45 AM
Nice work. I always enjoy listening to your stuff. Great musicianship and excellent production! Liked the plumber story too! Take care. Greg
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/03/14 01:20 PM
Hi Janice and Bud,

Wow - they say that dogs hear things that we humans can't. And we know how smart they are. That dog figured out before I did that something weird is going on at my place.

I'm glad you liked the tune, which is just a blues but twisted so out of shape with chord substitutions that it may be unrecognizable as such.

Dean
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/05/14 11:39 PM
hi dean nice chops very enjoyable thanks eric
Posted By: olemon Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/13/14 03:35 PM
Plumbing may not be your forte, but the guitar sure is!

I remain in awe of your musical talent.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/13/14 10:42 PM
Dean,

Are you sure your middle isn't "Cool"? Cause this song sure is! As always, great musicianship, and a very cool groove to this one.

Steve
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/15/14 12:02 AM
Hi Dean,

Now THAT was a very eye-catching title for a post.

I've never ever heard "glub, glub, glub" used quite so creatively. What a truly inspired introduction. I'm still laughing smile

There's no doubt about it, when it comes to guitar that leans towards the jazzy end of the musical spectrum, you're unparalleled on this forum. To my ears, your playing streams like honey flowing out of honeycomb - luscious, golden and sweet. Forget the blues, this is golds all the way!

I love these cross-over rhythms that are a mix of 8-beat and 16-beat. Your song has used this interplay perfectly! What I'm hearing sounds like it's simultaneously 4 beats at around 105'ish bpm and 4 beats at around 210'ish bpm. This combination also gives a cut common time feel. Very, very cool.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I got hypothermia just looking at the video. Brrrrr!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/15/14 02:28 AM
Very Cool Song. Excellent playing. Very neat feel to the song
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/17/14 01:17 AM
Hi Al and Di,

Thank you. What a supreme and wonderful compliment.

Yeh, it's amazing how far you can stretch the blues. It must be a testament to the sheer durability of the form. If you interpret the changes as widely as possible, I think the blues contains every one of the iconic harmonic transitions known to man: 2-5's both major and minor, 1-4's, you name it. You can even throw in a couple of blub-blubs and get away with it!

Dean
Posted By: Sundance Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/17/14 03:34 AM
"Now THAT was a very eye-catching title for a post.

I've never ever heard "glub, glub, glub" used quite so creatively."

+1

Wow Dean. As a matter of personal taste, I honestly don't care much for what many characterize as blues (with a very few exceptions) but I really enjoyed this fun little ditty of yours ripping it up.

Seriously cool.

Josie
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/17/14 03:44 PM
Really unique sound on the guitar. It almost sounds like midi guitar at times. Very well done.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/18/14 12:09 PM
Dean, As always very well produced and some great playing. i gotta go check my kitchen sink. Tom
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/20/14 02:02 PM
Hi Josie,

I'm glad you enjoyed the tune. Y'know there's the Blues and then there's da Bloooze. Among Forum guitarists, TommyAD seems to have a lock on the latter. Finally, at the outer limits you find the Bad BlueOoooze that bends the form into as many kinks as my plumbing pipework. That may be the reason why you liked it - it doesn't have many of the standard licks you expect to hear on the traditional changes.

So, as a blues non-enthusiast, your comments are doubly appreciated. Thank you.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/20/14 02:34 PM
Steve,

Man, I am coool all over - because the blue goop also got into my furnace and it don't work no more and it's about 28 degrees outside and the door's open.

But, I'm really happy you liked the tune.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/20/14 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi dean nice chops very enjoyable thanks eric
Originally Posted By: olemon
Plumbing may not be your forte, but the guitar sure is!
I remain in awe of your musical talent.
Hey guys, these comments are very gratifying. Thank you.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/23/14 03:48 PM
Hi Blues,

After all these months of using that 12-string on this Forum, you are the first to point out the sound that makes me love it so much. The six pairs of identical strings give it a natural "chorus" or detuning effect, especially on bent notes, as well as tremendous harp-like sustain.

Funny that you should mention a midi guitar. I had one of the very first ones - a Charvel - back in the '80's. The thing was virtually impossible to play. Half the notes were coming from the deranged mind inside the little converter box. Probably the technology has improved but I never tried another one.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/23/14 04:13 PM
Hey Tommy,

Thanks for the kind words. Well, the blue stuff is gone but not without turning one of my guitars blue. I know this sounds like a joke but it's not. I'm going to post a picture of it when I figure out how to post pictures.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/25/14 06:01 PM
Hi Noel,

Sorry for this late thank you, but better late than never. As always, your technical insights are fascinating and your compliments heartwarming. I appreciate both.

Dean
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Have You Seen a Naked Plumber? - 04/25/14 06:04 PM
Hey Scott,

I like what you have to say!

Dean
© PG Music Forums