PG Music Home
Posted By: bostonx New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 04:33 AM
Hi, I could use some feedback on this one. I started using a upgraded DAW, also upgraded to pod farm for the guitar work and everything pack in BIAB. OK OK... my whole setup is uggraded... smile

This song has some minor errors in the guitar work, as I put it out a bit quickly, but I think it adds a bit more rustic sound....I am looking more for comments on the quality of the mix, and overall sound than gee this guitar part is a touch weird in this little section.

This song was made with a real drum rock track, and a real bass and real acoustic strum tracks.

keyboards: synth and piano, played by me straight through recording
electric lead and sub lead patterns played by me straight through recording.

winter sun

if link doesnt work cut and paste this into browser: https://soundcloud.com/bostonx/winter-sun
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 02:55 PM
bostonx,

What kind of "feedback" are you looking for? It's a good mix. But kind of long - since it's a basic rhythm track for the full 5 minutes...

Sounds good...

floyd
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 03:43 PM
Nice mellow vibe. I agree with Floyd, it needs a vocal or lead melody
Posted By: bostonx Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 05:16 PM
I was really looking for the mix critique as I am mixing for the first time in sonar x3 with the addition of pro channel and some other techniques that I am working on like effects chains on buses and limiters. Mixing with real tracks is easy as they usually need only minor changes. It's when you start adding in the real guitars and keyboards that it becomes more challenging. The song itself was put together quickly, so I could focus more on the overall sound. That being said the style the song is in is typical for me I don't use heavy melody lines and prefer more subtle layered lead lines... I know it's different than most people like but I have my nich of poeple who dig what I put out for that particular style. I make a bunch of other styles as we'll but they have never been recieved as well.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 06:09 PM
The mix and balance, levels, effects are all OK, as long as that's the only feedback you're interested in.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 07:12 PM
Very well done, I think it could be better by adding more variety to the mix; maybe some different instruments coming in and out, or add some lyrics. When something is so long there needs to be change or else we get bored and move on. As a backing track however it is nice work. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 09:24 PM
Hi, Bostonx !

I think your mix is quite good as it is,
I was waiting for the lyrics to set in
at some point, but I understood that
you wanted to do an instrumental bt.
It would make a very good song if you
choose to shorten it a bit and add some
good lyrics to it ?? :))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: bostonx Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/10/14 10:06 PM
Thanks ALL for your comments and advice. Mixing is an art to itself and I am working very hard at it to get good quality.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post----- winter sun - 04/13/14 01:52 AM
Great vibe! Really like the feel of this one! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums