PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/20/14 09:53 PM
Hello PG music community. This is the last song from an independent release CD that I finished last Summer entitled "Songs from the Box". Bet you wonder why I used that title. I used an acoustic picked guitar and fretless (don't remember the ones exactly). I am currently working on a second CD "More from the box"? I'll keep you posted as they are in listenable shape. Happy Easter and take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/what-might-be

WHAT MITGHT BE

Sometimes uncertainties in life almost seem to much to cope with
Never knowing just what changes time may bring about
But we have minds to shape our dreams and we have hearts that we can hope with
And maybe that’s enough to overcome our deepest doubts

Still we might leave a bit of room among the plans that we are making
A bit of wonder to view our future through
For isn’t it not knowing that makes the journey worth the taking?
And aren’t all dreams worth having even though most won’t come true?

So I will sail this ship of life with passion and direction
Yet maintain a deep respect for the temper of the sea
And I will try to hold at bay the doubts and fears that pull me under
Riding high upon the wonder of what might be

Remember how you felt at the time you saw your first crush?
From the moment that you wondered if it might be right
There was something in her smile that hit so hard it made your heart rush
Even faster than it did when you first held her tight

Yet there’s this need we feel inside for having and for holding
And there’s a fear in the uncertainty we face
But the poetry of life is in it’s magical unfolding
And the doubt we’ve come to fear could be the promise we embrace

So I will sail this ship of life……
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/21/14 12:15 AM
Hi Greg,

Very professional sounding, very tasteful music and extremely well written and performed.

All in all, a great listen.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/21/14 02:47 AM
Hey Greg,

Reminds me a little of Dan Fogelberg's early stuff. Love the message, sweet tune, vocal and arrangement.

Josie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/21/14 12:13 PM
Very Nice work. Great job on the writing. Superb lyrical effort.

Nothing not to like.

well done sir
Posted By: boehm Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/21/14 02:15 PM
Hi Greg,

what a beautiful song. Lovely voice
and arrangement.
A great listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/21/14 03:03 PM
"So I will sail this ship of life with passion and direction
Yet maintain a deep respect for the temper of the sea
And I will try to hold at bay the doubts and fears that pull me under
Riding high upon the wonder of what might be"

That is seriously good. A sea metaphor or reference in each line. Very cool and creative!

IMO the song is a success in all aspects:

- Vocal
- Lyric
- Arrangement
- Production

We much enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: mglinert Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/21/14 08:47 PM
this one has simple but compelling lyrics, tasteful vocals, a beautiful melody, just the right amount of contrast and some fine guitar playing.

The lyrics sound better in the song than they look on the screen!

(you might like to add the missing 'o' in line 11 !)
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/22/14 10:10 AM
Greg

You never fail to enrich us with your sensational lyrics, wonderful vocals, and truly sensitive arrangements.

"What Might Be" is certainly no exception.

Congratulations on your latest masterpiece. Always enjoyable and 'listenable'

Thanks for sharing

Trevor
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/22/14 11:27 AM
Beautiful song. Excellent singing, lyrics and playing. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/22/14 12:34 PM
Greg, You are certainly one of the best poetry driven lyricists on this forum. You have without a doubt one of the finest voices also. Both these elements along with a strong melody shine through on this one. I have two very small nits and I hesitate to post them because I don't want to detract from such a great song. But they stood out to me and I'll take my chances alienating anyone. The vocal could use some breath control. I realize the intimacy and the breathiness of the soft delivery and you don't want to lose any of that, so it might be tricky,but the intake breaths seem extremely loud and detract from the otherwise perfect take. Also there is one place where you have a pause with a single guitar strum. It doesn't sound smooth. I have had the same problem with stops and I think I remember floyd playing one live single strum in place of the real track strum that transitioned quite nicely. Again, I absolutely love the song, especially the lyrics and the vocal. Best, Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/22/14 01:52 PM
I enjoyed this song. Good job all around.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/22/14 10:44 PM
Greg,

A pleasure to listen to. A beautiful arrangement and mix (except that one strum that Tom mentioned - a bit of a bump). Beautifully sung.

The chorus is stellar songwriting. I had a little trouble keeping focus in the first verse. The words are so poetic they made me lose my place (if that makes sense) - although the SOUND of them is so wonderful you know will come back to them again...

You have many talents on display here. Thanks for sharing them with us.

floyd
Posted By: RichMac Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/24/14 08:18 AM
Delightful production. Lovely gentle lyrics and vocal. Bravo. Cheers.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:21 AM
Thanks Noel. Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:24 AM
Thanks Josie. Really nice to hear from you!! I haven't seen posts or new songs from you in a bit. I recall your last one was really sweet. The Dan Fogelberg comparison is very flattering. He was one of my favorites in college. Sad to hear that he passed away several years ago-prostate cancer. Lots of memories of his beautiful songs. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:25 AM
THanks Herb and Guenter for the kind words. They really mean a lot to me!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:27 AM
Thanks so much for your nice words. It really means a lot as I'm a big fan of what you guys are doing. Really great stuff!! Keep it up. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:27 AM
Thanks for all the nice compliments. I really appreciate the kindness! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:29 AM
Thanks for all the positive strokes Trevor. I really appreciate it! Also, it has been fun going back and forth on the lyric thread. I really love to know what moves people. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:30 AM
Thanks Scott for the kind words. Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:34 AM
Tom, thanks for the nice words. You're right about the breathiness, and the ill-fitting strum. I actually have a master where I edited the breath sounds down but couldn't locate it. I'm really digging what you've been doing lately. Really sweet! In fact, you inspired me to write my first blues song which I hope to post a first version of in the next month or so. Your music turned me on to the blues sound which I have generally been lukewarm on. Thanks for the kind words and inspiration!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/26/14 02:40 AM
Floyd, thanks so much for the nice words. Your technical analysis, as usual, is spot on. There were a few production glitches. Really enjoying what you are doing. This is a great forum of nice, talented, and interesting people--a real joy to participate it. Enjoy the weekend!! Take care. Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqApYeUUv6g Check this out. Any Jimmy Webb fan will love it (I'm listening to it as I type).

Another classic from the same LP (also Webb-what a genius!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWi6Nuspgts
Posted By: olemon Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/27/14 01:08 PM
Beautiful, well-crafted song, sweet performance and the mix is perfect.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 04/27/14 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Floyd, thanks so much for the nice words. Your technical analysis, as usual, is spot on. There were a few production glitches. Really enjoying what you are doing. This is a great forum of nice, talented, and interesting people--a real joy to participate it. Enjoy the weekend!! Take care. Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqApYeUUv6g Check this out. Any Jimmy Webb fan will love it (I'm listening to it as I type).

Another classic from the same LP (also Webb-what a genius!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWi6Nuspgts

Greg - THANKS! for the links - truly gorgeous songs - penned by the best - sung by the best - "Shattered" really knocked me out!
Posted By: RnAM Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/19/14 12:06 PM
Hello Greg,
We were curious about the songs you create and we looked for some of them. We like "What might be". Very nice vocal and beautiful song.
Except from bass and guitar, did you use any additional real tracks?
Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/19/14 12:40 PM
Yea, this is a really well crafted tune and mighty fine singing. I think some of the technical advice given is pretty good -- use it on the next CD (ha, ha). If this CD is done, just keep moving forward.

Very talented and good use of the real tracks and real drums. I am a big fan of always adding in one or two live" instruments to help the RT's out. Consider that for the next CD.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/26/14 04:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated! I continue to enjoy the work your posting. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/26/14 04:50 PM
Hello Rob and Anne Marie. Thanks for the nice words about this song. I used a Pro Tools and Sample Tank to put together the strings (Cello and 2 violas if I remember correctly). Really enjoying the songs you guys have been posting. Keep up the great work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/26/14 04:53 PM
Thanks for the positive words and the input. Hopefully I'm still improving in terms of making the tracks sound natural. I am a poor musician so I think my "live" tracks would destroy the sound. I do have live bass (by a good friend) on 4 tracks I've done and a live guitar solo (my son's guitar teacher) on 1 track as well. I do think it works great to have them mixed together as Tom Adams and others have done. Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/26/14 08:34 PM
Hi, Greg !:))

They have already said it all
but still I will add that I
do love this tune and the way
you sing and perform it !:))
I think it is my favorite Greg
tune now !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/26/14 10:49 PM
Thanks Dani. I very much appreciate the support! I hope to be posting some new songs pretty soon-have several in progress but I'm so busy with work and the kids that it's slow going. Thanks again for your kind comment. Take care. Greg
Posted By: olemon Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE - 05/27/14 12:33 PM
Listening to new songs this morning...and this one again.

It's still a beautiful melody:)

Oh, whatever you're doing to get that sound...keep doing it!
© PG Music Forums