PG Music Home
Been away awhile, doing some important family stuff – Sorry for my absence.
This tune is a bit of an Oddity. As originally written for the German Highland Games it is a basic major/minor chord pleasant tune. However, having heard the version played by a Scottish Bagpipe Band I wanted to work on it in BIAB as a full Orchestration. That's when my lack of musical knowledge showed up! I turned to our good BB friend Dean Clark aka Aleck Rand (or is it the other way round? lol) for help. Not only did he sort out the chords for me but even sorted out the arrangement in BB. Above and beyond the call of duty, Dean.
The snares were added (to replicate the Bagpipe massed drummers) and also the Church Organ (2 tracks). Everything, apart from the Snares and RealDrums track is BIAB midi. What a Stunning piece of software this is.
I added the Lead guitar and mixed it down.
All comments appreciated.
As Dean is the Arranger per se, please note-
ASCAP Account No: 400004362
Legal Entity: dean clark
Class: SOLO
If any Forum member doubts the legality of this license-to-stream, or believes this post is a violation, please contact the moderators for its prompt removal without my objection.
Instruments in the SGU-
Acoustic Piano
ContraBass
Strings - Hi
Strings – Lo
Orchestral Brass
Horns
Church Organ (2 tracks combined)
Real Drums – BossaLewis^01-BrshHH-BrshswirlHH

And – the kitchen sink, as well. Lol!!

HIGHLAND CATHEDRAL-Collab-Ian and Dean

Thanks for listening
Ian and Dean
Really enjoyed this one guys. Beautifully arranged and played
Well, as far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing since the Big Bang - maybe better! Of course, I am totally biased and no one should pay attention to this opinion.

The opinion you should pay attention to is this: If you had told me that Duane Eddy was playing the guitar on this one I would have accepted it in a heartbeat. So the question to Ian is, How do you get that sound? Yeh, guv, I know it's the guitar but what about it? Tuning? super-heavy-gauge strings? Amp? Is it some kind of custom job?

Awaiting your reply Dua, sorry, Ian.

Dean (aka Aleck Rand)
Hi Furry - being Scots, this should be right up your street!! You will of course be aware of the track by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Pipe Band - thats what got me started.
Hi Dean - for the guitar I employ the KISS principle - always.
I don't use an amp when recording - just a tiny Korg Ampworks modeller after a Zoom2000 effects processor that gives me the echo patterns.

The guitar ("Lady") is a custom made Strat - made by Alan Brason in the UK to my Spec. It has B.I. maple neck, Alder body and Kinman FV pups. All electrics (pots, switch etc) are Fender. The strings are Elixir 11's nanoweb. No super heavy strings for me! Sperzel locking tuners and genuine Fender'62 bridge. Technically its a copy of Hank Marvins 40th Anniversary Strat but at a fraction of the Fender C.S. price. smile The pup in use on this track is the Middle pup but I do have a pull pot on Bridge that, when required, gives Neck+Bridge that really CAN give some Duane sounds - not a bad trick for a Strat.
Here's a pic -

Sorry to go on a bit but you DID ask!! lol!
cheers
ian
I was actually playing this tune long before the RSDG got hold of it. I heard it on a tape a German friend sent me. Played at an accordion club about 35 years ago and was asked to play it at least another twice that night LOL
Ian and Dean...

What a nice piece! Terrific arrangement. Nice job on the drums!

Ian...you've got Lady really singing!!! Proud! Majestic! Wonderful playing. Great tone.

Beautiful! Very enjoyable.

floyd
Hi, Ian and Dean !:))

This is just simply fantastic
in every aspect !:))

Cheers
Dani
Ian and Dean, Great arrangement and great guitar work. It sounds terrific. I really enjoyed it. Tom
Very nice! How refreshing to hear that clean clear singing melody. Cheers.
Wow! My hat's off to you guys!

Mike B.
Hi guys on behalf of Dean and myself, thank you for taking the time to listen and post comments. Much appreciated.
Hi Furry Graham - I make the date of the original composition 1982 and I can see it working well as an accordion piece.
Hi Floyd - Praise indeed from you! Wow! I'm glad you liked it. First time I've used the OD plug-in and wasnt sure if I'd got the sound right. In fact, I'm still not sure.
Hi Dani - so pleased you enjoyed it my friend. I hope you are doing OK in Finland now that Spring has sprung.
Hi Tommy - thanks for your comment - you are the Guitar Master - you would have told me if |I got that OD wrong - er - wouldnt you?! lol!
Hi Rich - yes, its a simple yet haunting melody and IMHO had to be played "straight" and let the backing do the fancy stuff.
Hi MIke - thanks for your kind words - couldnt have done it without Dean - a real Team Effort.
cheers
ian and Dean
Hi Ian and Dean,

very nice tune. And very tastefully played and arranged.
A wonderful listen.

Guenter
Very nice work you guys!! Really beautifully done. Take care. Greg
Bravo!! Great pickin' all the way around. I'm with Guenter -- tasteful is the operative word here.
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Ian and Dean,

very nice tune. And very tastefully played and arranged.
A wonderful listen.

Guenter
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very nice work you guys!! Really beautifully done. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Bravo!! Great pickin' all the way around. I'm with Guenter -- tasteful is the operative word here.
Thank you Guenter, Greg, Janice and Bud. Ian and I appreciate these kind remarks.

Dean
Great piece!!! Really nice guitar too. I love any fiesta red strat and it does sound great.
Very nice song. Guitar work is excellent. Very enjoyable listen. Has allot of feeling in the song....
Hi there Blues and Scott and thank you for your kind replies.
Blues - I had my Strat especially sprayed that colour. I reckon Fiesta Red has changed over the years from that wonderful Thunderbirds colour it was in the late 50's/ early 60's to the bland red it is nowadays.
Scott - I'm glad that you think that there is some feeling in the playing. Its one of those tunes that kind of gets to you.
cheers
Ian and Dean
From the first piano chord, I pictured a church or a cathedral. Very expressive mix and production.

The guitar is sweet and emotional, adds a wonderful modern touch to this traditional sounding piece. (Loved the pics btw.)

Your collab succeeded big time guys:)
Hi Ian and Aleck

Ian so nice to have you back on the forum. We missed you! What a great colloboration. Love the guitar. Wish I could play half of that. Well done both of you.
When clicking thru the songs on this forum, I never know what to expect... everybody's take on how to write, play, record and mix a song is so different, the results go in a hundred different directions.

But every now and then a song strikes a chord (heart chord, not guitar chord) that hasn't been struck before by other songs.. and this is one of those times.

It was an interesting combination of inspiration and presentation... sorry, but that's the best I can articulate a feeling.

It really pleases me the way people in this forum collaborate with, encourage and generally edify one another. My hat is off to Ian and Dean specifically... but also to everyone else. What a great forum and great product!
Pat,

Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for pointing out the collaborative efforts that have been going on and for reminding us, once again, what a great Forum this is. I'm certain that I have Ian's full endorsement of this judgment.

And did he come up with a spectacular vehicle for that other-worldly guitar sound of his? Who needs a zillion notes and pretzel-shaped chords when you got a sound like that?!

On behalf of the both of us and with kind regards,

Dean
Like this a lot, well done. I am a home musician using BIAB, Logic Pro X, etc. I would like to use some of your backing track parts to create a different version, using BIAB and Logic. Are you prepared to share files with me please? I am happy to pay if required. Please let me know, thanks,

Ken Sturgeon

Sound great. A little like Mark Knopfler.

smile
Gentlemen then is fantastic. Love that clean guitar sound! It reminded of The Ventures and The Shadows.
Goodness me! Its been 6 years since Aleck and I did this Collab. An amazing job by Aleck who I think is no longer with us.

Ken - yes, the basic SGU and the stems still exist.They survived the PC crash by being stored offline. I have PMd you.

David - thnak you for your kind comment.

Mario - Yes, I do a 'Shadows Tribute' solo gig now and then and love that clean Strat sound. A fan of The Ventures too. Glad you enjoyed it. 6 years old and still getting Plays. Who'd have thought it?

Cheers
ian
What a nice surprise. Loved this. So glad to hear from you and Dean. Have been catching a few of Dean’s jazz pieces on SoundCloud. Well done
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a nice surprise. Loved this. So glad to hear from you and Dean. Have been catching a few of Dean’s jazz pieces on SoundCloud. Well done

Hi Scott, thank you for listening and your kind comments.
This was done 6 years ago and Ive been told that Dean Clark (Aleck Rand) had passed. He was the mastermind behind arrangements chording.
Cheers
Ian
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
This was done 6 years ago and Ive been told that Dean Clark (Aleck Rand) had passed. He was the mastermind behind arrangements chording.
Cheers
Ian

I knew that Dean hadn't been actively involved for a while, but I had not learned that he was no longer with us. If that's the case, it's very sad. I did know that he had some health issues, but hoped he was OK. His musical capabilities were outstanding, not to mention his other amazing mathematical skills, and much more.
O
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Cheers
Ian

I knew that Dean hadn't been actively involved for a while, but I had not learned that he was no longer with us. If that's the case, it's very sad. I did know that he had some health issues, but hoped he was OK. His musical capabilities were outstanding, not to mention his other amazing mathematical skills, and much more.

I so hope I'm wrong and Dean is still with us, even if not active. Its just what I was told last year and unable to verify.
It was a very orchestral piece and some of the chords Aleck (Dean) arranged in were amazing.
Cheers
Ian
Pretty classy stuff.
Well done!
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Pretty classy stuff.
Well done!

Thank you CaptainMoto
Much appreciated.
Ian & Aleck
That gave my goosebumps goosebumps! So beautiful, guys!
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
That gave my goosebumps goosebumps! So beautiful, guys!

Hi Donny
Many thanks.
Keep well and keep safe.
Ian and Aleck
Really captivating, Ian and Dean. A beautiful melody played by polished artists. So soothing and very enjoyable.
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Really captivating, Ian and Dean. A beautiful melody played by polished artists. So soothing and very enjoyable.

Hi Marty
Thank you for your kind comments.
Ian & Aleck (Dean)
Astonished to see the number of 'hits' to go over 19,500.
On behalf of Aleck and I, thank you.
I concur with Mario: guitar work is reminiscent of Shadows/Ventures. And your guitar playing interprets the lovely, haunting melody quite beautifully!
It was great to come across this recording again. It's a fantastic all round recording and a real pleasure to hear it again. The whole recording oozed quality and sheer musicianship. Well done again guys
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I concur with Mario: guitar work is reminiscent of Shadows/Ventures. And your guitar playing interprets the lovely, haunting melody quite beautifully!
t
Hi E.S. thank you. The Shadows and Ventures and others of my era were and are my music heroes.
Originally Posted By: furry
It was great to come across this recording again. It's a fantastic all round recording and a real pleasure to hear it again. The whole recording oozed quality and sheer musicianship. Well done again guys

Hi Graham, many thanks for taking another listen and your kind words.
Ian
© PG Music Forums