PG Music Home
My new album was released today--Something Borrowed, Something Blue. There are ten songs, nine of which I wrote. Every track was arranged in BIAB, using the 2013 Mac version. I used RealTracks for bass, piano, and organ parts as well as RealDrums. On the song Sweet Marianne, I used a Dixieland RealStyle for the entire instrumental backing track: tuba, guitar, banjo, piano, and drums. For the rest of the songs I played acoustic and resonator guitars, and resonator mandolin. Dan Lippert played harmonica on all ten songs.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/fredgrittnerdanlippert

Let me know what you think.

Fred Grittner
Fred,

It sounds really nice - what you can get from the snippets that cdbaby provides... they seem shorter than they used to be (or maybe it's just been a while since I've listen to any there...).

Good luck with it!

floyd
Congrats Fred. Hope you sell a million!

When's the CD release party?

BTW, I prefer Barbados rum. cool

Regards,

Bob
To listen to full songs, you can check out my Bandcamp site:

http://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com/album/something-borrowed-something-blue

Thanks for the comments.
No release party? frown

Coffee and Doughnuts.........anything?

Sheesh...... crazy
Hey Bob, we could hold our own release party - I'll tip my IPA pint glass at 8pm this evening to a well done very listenable CD and hopes for its success.
Fred,

Nice CD. Very "comfortable and relaxed" sounding all the way through..
Dan's harmonica helps give a real cohesive feel to the project.

Especially like "Point Zero Eight" and "Better One Down the Road".
And the instrumentation to "Sweet Marianne" - is "sweet"...

So when you were recording in the studio... what was the "reaction" to the backing tracks that you provided? And... did you present them as a mix or individual tracks? Just wondering what that process was like...

floyd
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for listening and your comments.

When I bring in musicians, I have already moved the individual RealTracks and Drums into Logic and have used EQ, compression, and reverb to make them come alive. I set up a headphone mix for the singer or musician. I am pretty open about using BIAB and generally get positive feedback. Fifteen years ago, when BIAB was MIDI only, I sent a drummer a demo that used BIAB MIDI drums. He got back to me and said he was unsure if he could do better. When I told him I had used BIAB, his attitude changed. He became dismissive. In the end, I preferred the BIAB drum track!

I think RealTracks, when carefully selected and edited, can fool just about anybody. Sweet Marianne was unusual for me in that I used only RealTracks and Drums. I typically use only bass, drums, keyboards and the occasional fiddle, pedal steel, or banjo. Adding my own stringed instruments and soloists like Dan Lippert enhances the "real feel."

Fred
Congrats and good luck with this project.
Hi Fred
Congrats on a job very well done. It is interesting to hear what you have to say about taking the realtracks into the studio.
© PG Music Forums