PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 12:39 AM
I/we've been away for a few weeks. In addition to writing songs, I also writes novels. I had a deadline to meet for publishing my last novel (it's on Amazon now!!!) so I had to put everything else aside for a month or so. But, we're back to writing!

This is a Big Band Jazz Ballad in the flavor of Steve Tyrell, one of my very favorite male Jazz singers. It also reminds us of something Vic Damone might have done ... anyone remember him??? I think I might have the vocal a bit too loud ... let me know what you think about that part of the production ... and anything else that crosses your mind.

We wrote this for a college drama class to be used in a short movie they are producing.

I would post the RT info but when I click onto the song, I get the following message: "File not currently accessable". When I figure out what the problem is, I'll post the info.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=276329&songID=12786440

Forever And All Time
(c) 2014 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers, BMI

(V1)
As the Earth spins 'round each day and autumn leaves will fall
And as the birds sing their song, and the pines are green and tall
While mountains reach for the sky, and water seeks the shore
I'll love you dear through all of that, through that and so much more

CHORUS
Eternity's forever, and that's what I have in mind
That's how long I'll love you dear, forever and all time

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

(V2)
As long as my two nickels, are equal to a dime
And verses to a pretty song, somehow will always rhyme
As rivers flow to the sea, and two plus two is four
I'll love you dear through all of that, through that and so much more

CHORUS
Eternity's forever, and that's what I have in mind

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK - ONE LINE

TAG

OUT

Posted By: cubanpete Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 02:07 AM
Hey Al, nice tune and lyrics. Good as always.

Mike B.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 12:13 PM
Nice relaxing tune. Well done. Excellent playing and singing. Good luck with your novel as well...
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 02:49 PM
Really enjoyed this. Nice work.

Regards,

Charlie
Posted By: rsdean Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 03:01 PM
Al,

Very nice - I really enjoyed this one.

Bob
Posted By: boehm Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 03:06 PM
Hi Alan,

nice to have you back.
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Nice relaxing tune. Well done. Excellent playing and singing. Good luck with your novel as well...

Guenter
Posted By: Jools B Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 08:11 PM
Hi Alan

Smooooooth cool

Makes me want to pick the sax up!

Very nice.

Jools
Posted By: RichMac Re: Forever And All Time - 05/11/14 09:50 PM
Great atmosphere. Love the trumpet. Super smooth vocals didn't seem loud to me. Cool. Cheers.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 12:00 AM
Hi, Al !

I think this is one of your best !
A really enjoyable listen with such
sweet jazz chords !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 12:25 AM
Beautifully mastered work, the horn work sounds so nice; and the voice, puts me in mind of the old movie classic soundtracks thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 12:36 PM
Alan,

LOL... I played this before reading your comments and was thinking...
"This sounds like a perfect Vic Damone song!" - my mom was a big fan, so I heard him as a kid...

And, man! you sure captured it! - both the sound (instrumentation) and the writing - a VERY good write for this style song. If there is anyone doing these now, you should be able to get a cut with this!
(there were a couple of piano chords that got loud)

Very enjoyable! Surprised that you did not have Di singing harmony on this!

floyd
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 04:34 PM
Really pretty and natural! Just feels good! It seems the first and third lines in verses are the same melody line. Maybe a bit of a twist on the third line would be cool. Just a thought. Nice stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: olemon Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 05:52 PM
I've been wondering about you two...nice surprise to see this post. Your usual polished groove shines through in this.

So the college is going to use it? Sweet! Novelist 'and' songwriter, wow!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 06:00 PM
Congrats on the book! Nice relaxing mood with this production. Just what I needed after this weekend! A good write and presentation of it with the arrangement and mix. Nice!
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Forever And All Time - 05/12/14 07:37 PM
I am so glad you discovered BIAB, the total sound of your demos has really improved. Your songs were always good and you got a ton out of what you had, but now you can concentrate more on the tune and composition since now you have great instruments at your disposal. Vox was a tad loud I thought and you had quite a few 'plosives in there. It will need a retake to fix up, I think.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 01:29 AM
Glad you're back Al! Hope your book does super well!

Beautiful arrangement and the lyric and melody fit the style perfectly like the song came right out of that era.

Josie
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:52 AM
Hi Mike ...

Glad you enjoyed it ... thanks for the listen!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:53 AM
Scott C ...

Thanks a bunch! And appreciate the kind thoughts regarding the book. Best to you ...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:54 AM
Charlie ...

So glad you enjoyed your listen. Thanks!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:54 AM
Hi Bob ...

As always, appreciate the listen and your kind words. Thanks a bunch!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:55 AM
Guenter...

Vielen Dank! We appreciate the warm welcome back. Glad you enjoyed the song!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:57 AM
Jools ...

Tghanks you for your kind reply. Smooooth - works for us! We were going to use an alto sax but couldn't get the sound we wanted. so went with the trumpet instead. Best to you!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:58 AM
RichMac ...

Thanks so much for those very nice words! Much appreciated!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 03:59 AM
Hi Dani!

Thank you so much! We like this one a lot, too. glad you liked it as well! Best to you ...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:01 AM
PgF ...

Thank you very much for those words of encouragement. We worked hard on this one. We're big fans of the Big Band era and drift over that way quite a bit with our writing. Glad it worked for you!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:04 AM
Good Evening Floyd!

Thank you so much for those great comments. I think you and we are the only ones who remember ole Vic! Yes, what a coincidence you thought about him as you listened before reading. I guess that suggests we hit the intended mark pretty close. Glad everything worked well for you. And yeah, near the end there were a few piano chords that rung a little too loud. Will remedy that with some compression.

Thanks again! As always, enjoy hearing your comments.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:07 AM
Hi Greg ...

It's always a pleasure to hear from you. Di and I are big fans of that smooth voice of yours! Glad you enjoyed the piece.

The third lines are the same approximate melody as the firsts, but I but I sang to the lower octave at the end of the third lines to contrast with singing to the higher octave on the first lines. We'll look at that again in the near future. Best to you ...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:10 AM
Hi Scott ...

Yep, novelist and composer! But the difference is I'm occasionally making decent money from the novels! We're delighted you enjoyed the groove. It's one of our favorites genres. Wishing you well.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:12 AM
Hey J & B ...

Always a treat to hear from you! Glad it works for you. We tried to capture the sound of the era rather than make it neo or contemporary. That's what the college wanted and it pleased us to do it. Thanks again. Best to the both of you ...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:18 AM
Kevin ...

Thanks so much for your kind words about the songs all along. And we're delighted to have BIAB!!!! there's still so much we need to learn about it but I read something from that danged iser's manual almost every day.

As far as the vocal, you're right about the pops and explosive blurts. Our good mic ( a very expensive AT condensor mic) is in for repair and we're using a $59.00 Peavey without a filter. Will redo this one, and a few others, once we have our good mic back. It's so much easier to get vocal compression with the condensor mic, too. Will resolve all that soon. Thanks again!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 04:19 AM
Hi Josie ...

Thank you for for the warm welcome back. And your comments were almost as pretty as you. We sure do appreciate them! We tried to be true to the eraq rather than modernizing the song. Glad it works for you!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Forever And All Time - 05/13/14 12:39 PM
I enjoyed a period of time where I composed quite a few jazz tunes with BB. In all of them, I never considered trying to write lyric or sing it. So, they all ended up as instrumentals. And that was probably for the best.

Nice work on this song.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Forever And All Time - 05/14/14 02:18 AM
Hi Herb!

Thanks for the very kind words ... glad you enjoyed it! Standards and big-band jazz are two of our very favorite genres. This would have sounded a bit better (actually, quite a bit better) had Di been singing. She's experiencing some serious respiratory issues and hasn't been able to sing for a couple of months and will still be a while before she can sing again. Until then, you'll just have to put uip with me and a bunch of instrumentals!

Thanks again! Always a pleasure to hear fromn you.
© PG Music Forums