PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Real Country - 05/12/14 01:43 PM
Just for fun... and to go along with the discussion that has been going on..

As has been mentioned, the current crop of songs by the guys in Country music all talk about the same things...
My truck..hey, girl..drinking beer...going down to the river...drinking beer...she loves my tractor...drinking beer...let's do it in my truck...
The girls ALL wear "painted on jeans".
Everyone's waiting for quitting time - so they can drink some beer...(or moonshine)

Michael LeBlanc had posted a lyric pointing out that those songs don't really reflect real life in the country.
Mike has a knack for original ideas and raw honesty in his lyrics...
I asked him if I could re-work it some and put it to music.
He graciously agreed... so after a re-write and re-title, we have...

REAL COUNTRY

there won't be no hanky panky in the bed of my truck
been hauling fertilizer, girl, that really stinks it up
no skinny dippy in the stream, i strung it full of trout lines
a hook in your foot ain't a good time

we don't hang 'round all night sippin' mountain dew
5 am comes early and there's chores to do
throw on them coveralls no time to paint on jeans
you look damn good in your straw hat pickin' beans

yeah this is how country folk live on the farm
it ain't jacked up trucks and parties out in the barn
work a mule and forty acres 'til the sun is gone
this is real country... it aint no Nashville song

if my tractor turns you on missy hitch up the plow
we can do a little squeezin' - there's a hundred head o' cow
slop the hogs , tend the chickens too
we'll hit the feed and seed - i think our bill is due

i'm really lookin' forward to that quittin' bell
a little supper, hit the hay and then sleep for a spell
those country stars in boots and cowboy hats
that's a fantasy world - i wish i knew where that was at

yeah this is how country folk live on the farm
it ain't jacked up trucks and parties out in the barn
work a mule and forty acres 'til the sun is gone
this is real country... it aint no Nashville song

©2014 Michael LeBlanc and floyd jane

Hope you enjoy it. Comments of any ilk welcome...

The band...
RealTracks in song: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2023:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryRockJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 412:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 2026:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountryJohn Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: gibson Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 02:24 PM
Yeh THAT's the country I like!! Great song, vocals production etc
cool
That's got me thinking, imagine ALL genres having "true to life" lyrics. Music video's would soon disappear LOL

But then music takes us away from the drudgery of life and I quote a little known songwriter (me)
"I write my songs to escape from life but my life is in my songs."

Good work from both of you, glad I dropped by.

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 03:48 PM
Hi Floyd,

real fun. Like the lyrics.
The musical delivery is spot on as always.
Your clapping gives it a lot of drive.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 04:28 PM
Catchy, clever, and cool!! Don't suppose you'll be pitchin' this in Nashville! Keep up the good work. Take care. Greg
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 05:16 PM
ha ha. Floyd That was great. Boy you got that up so quickly. What a wonderful songwriter you are!
Posted By: olemon Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 05:43 PM
Nice! And, with as much potential to get 'cut' as anything I hear in today's programming! You took the prevailing theme, which may be close to running its course, and stood it on its head with a fresh and somewhat comical approach that contains a message of universal appeal.

Other than you Floyd, Alan Jackson comes to mind as the artist this would work for.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 08:02 PM
Ha...!!! that was funny.

When did you write this?

That song has enough spunk that in the right hands, it could be a hit.... I could see a few folks doing it.... but it's really not contemporary so that might be a hard sell.....

Good job.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 09:00 PM
floyd, This is too funny on the heels of that very informative and eye opening post about Nashville. The piano works really well in this one. The chorus has a great melody. I would have liked to hear that signature lick from the beginning repeated a few times. Brent always had a signature lick in AJ's songs. I like the hand claps. Another good co-write. The most amazing thing about your consistent output is not only the high quality level, but how you manage to find the time. Good one! Tom
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 09:19 PM
This really is in the "nashville wheelhouse", sound wise. Guitar parts are great and the hand claps are a nice addition. Mighty fun listen. The lyrics have the right slant on the current themes in Nashville. Quite well done.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 10:01 PM
Really enjoyed this one! A great sense of fun with a slight grittyness about it. Fabulous lyrics. Spot on vocals and production. My country music club would love this one. Cheers.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Real Country - 05/12/14 10:26 PM
Enjoyed the song. You've showed us all that good songs ideas are all around us. Even a BIAB forum discussion can provide a spark. As always, quality writing, arranging and production.

Regards,

Charlie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 12:10 AM
Enjoyed listening to this. Pretty much radio ready. Toby Keith, Travis Tritt and Montgomery Gentry are three artists that might think it's a good fit for their audience.
Posted By: Digital Angel Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 12:37 AM
Great songwriting and mixing.

Remember to polish the rims for Friday Night on that potato truck, that's what will turn them on!

DA...
Posted By: Sundance Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 12:43 AM
Floyd and Michael,

Consider this my STANDING O!

Spot on! Especially love the chorus harmony with the effects and hand claps. Great sounding guitar with a terrific arrangement, lyrics, melody and vocal.

And as one who is bored out the yang with the sheer number of all these beer drinking party songs - what a breath of fresh country air. LOL!

In addition to the standing O - I'm lighting my BIC!

You guys should make a video and post this on youtube.

Josie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 03:28 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Yeh THAT's the country I like!! Great song, vocals production etc
cool
That's got me thinking, imagine ALL genres having "true to life" lyrics. Music video's would soon disappear LOL

But then music takes us away from the drudgery of life and I quote a little known songwriter (me)
"I write my songs to escape from life but my life is in my songs."

Good work from both of you, glad I dropped by. Alyn

Thanks, Alyn! Yeah...I think we'd best hold on to what fantasy we can.. might turn into a motto around here... smile When ARE we going to get another of those cool Alyn vignettes???

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

real fun. Like the lyrics.
The musical delivery is spot on as always.
Your clapping gives it a lot of drive. Guenter

Guenter - Thanks, appreciate it, as always. The claps are a loop that I created because Frank Alves asked if I would - he wanted one with the rhythm of the Calypso drums - which is a nice idea - and it fit this song nicely...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Catchy, clever, and cool!! Don't suppose you'll be pitchin' this in Nashville! Keep up the good work. Take care. Greg

Greg - what more could we hope to achieve? I don't know... there are a lot of people in Nashville with a grudge against the machine...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 03:42 AM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
ha ha. Floyd That was great. Boy you got that up so quickly. What a wonderful songwriter you are!

Thanks Joanne - glad you enjoyed it...

Originally Posted By: olemon
Nice! And, with as much potential to get 'cut' as anything I hear in today's programming! You took the prevailing theme, which may be close to running its course, and stood it on its head with a fresh and somewhat comical approach that contains a message of universal appeal.

Other than you Floyd, Alan Jackson comes to mind as the artist this would work for.

Scott - thanks for those kind words... Is Alan still recording?

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Ha...!!! that was funny.

When did you write this?

That song has enough spunk that in the right hands, it could be a hit.... I could see a few folks doing it.... but it's really not contemporary so that might be a hard sell.....

Good job.

Thanks Herb. Wrote it a couple of weeks ago, actually. Just coincidental that it seemed the thing to post. I hadn't even intended to post it. Not really contemporary?...it's "close enough for Country" as they used to say... Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith could all do a song with this sound and never skip a beat.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 04:32 AM
Floyd ...

That was more fun than should be legal! Excellent in every way! And yeah, the suits that run the radio machine program the same cookie cutter stuff day after day. I like a lot of the contemporary country but the same sound gets old after a while. There's nothing boring here! Still trying to get our feet still and stop our hands from clapping! A typical, amazing FJ production!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, This is too funny on the heels of that very informative and eye opening post about Nashville. The piano works really well in this one. The chorus has a great melody. I would have liked to hear that signature lick from the beginning repeated a few times. Brent always had a signature lick in AJ's songs. I like the hand claps. Another good co-write. The most amazing thing about your consistent output is not only the high quality level, but how you manage to find the time. Good one! Tom

Tom - thanks for all of that. You're right about that signature lick, but I did this really fast and never even thought about doing that - and it would have been easy to do. Like I said, I had no intention of posting this and it was in the midst of 2 other co-writes and another of my own, so I probably did not give it the attention I should have.

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
This really is in the "nashville wheelhouse", sound wise. Guitar parts are great and the hand claps are a nice addition. Mighty fun listen. The lyrics have the right slant on the current themes in Nashville. Quite well done.

Thanks, Kevin. Nice of you to say so. Seems like there might have to be a vote... smile

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Really enjoyed this one! A great sense of fun with a slight grittyness about it. Fabulous lyrics. Spot on vocals and production. My country music club would love this one. Cheers.

Richard - appreciate it... Hey, make a copy and take it down to the club!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Real Country - 05/13/14 10:24 PM
Now that's a kicker. Michael should be over here - he's a BIAB user. Try to pull him away from the dark side. grin
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Real Country - 05/14/14 12:38 PM
Hi Floyd
didn't ya just know that your "Clappy" User Track would come in so handy?!
Clever track - loved the "tell em like it is" lyrics and the Pop / Country style too.
Another outstanding production.
cheers
ian
Posted By: dani48 Re: Real Country - 05/14/14 05:15 PM
Hi, Floyd !:))

Comin´in a little late to the party,
BUT WHAT A PARTY !!!! This is my
new Floydsong favorite and not only
for those spot on lyrics ! Everything
works so fine on this one !

You hit the nails head with the lyrics
too ! (it could well be applied to
other genre´s than country as well ) !:))

Cheers
Dani

Posted By: ROG Re: Real Country - 05/14/14 06:07 PM
Hey Floyd.

Just trying to get myself back to the forum after being buried in work since January, only to have another illusion about US life shattered!

Great sound, but are you allowed that much reverb on country songs?

But, what the heck - you know how I love to shovel reverb onto everything and I have to say that the track works superbly well. I really like the "bigger" sound which you've used in the recent offerings and the whole effect is very smooth and professional. Hey, with a sound like that you could try your hand at a rock ballad. Stick that Bon Jovi CD in the truck and see if you get any ideas!

Stay cool. ROG.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Real Country - 05/14/14 10:16 PM
Well Floyd, my +100 to everything said before about the song and your delivery. Outstanding! Probably the folks at the Country Music Awards would want your heads for this. I really think that the new wave of country music is actually doing away with it altogether. Much crossover and hip hop going on there. A shame if you ask me. But it sells I guess.

My regards

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Real Country - 05/16/14 06:01 PM
I’m late to the party but man am I glad that I came!

Everything that I wanted to say has already been said so all I can add is WOW!

This is a keeper!
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Real Country - 05/16/14 06:35 PM
Floyd is real Country. His pickup truck is full of manure as well. grin
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Real Country - 05/17/14 09:26 PM
Too cool floyd. I reckon you turned the dial on your machine to Country (Irony), cranked the lever and out shot another outstanding production. I'm with Tom on how timely this is following the N"ville discussion. For something you did "really fast" it still has the floyd jane stamp of excellence all over it.

BTW, wonder how many folks know what "slopping hogs" means? smile
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 10:22 AM
"BTW, wonder how many folks know what "slopping hogs" means?"

You've never been to an "All You Can Eat" buffet? laugh
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 07:08 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"BTW, wonder how many folks know what "slopping hogs" means?"

You've never been to an "All You Can Eat" buffet? laugh

Heck. You ain't done real farm work until you've spent at least half a day chasing, grabbing and holding piglets while Uncle Sandy neuters 'em with a razor knife. The dogs had the buffet..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Enjoyed the song. You've showed us all that good songs ideas are all around us. Even a BIAB forum discussion can provide a spark. As always, quality writing, arranging and production.

Charlie - thanks for the listen. The more you think about finding ideas, the more often they come - and the better you get at recognizing what's worth tuning into something...

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Enjoyed listening to this. Pretty much radio ready. Toby Keith, Travis Tritt and Montgomery Gentry are three artists that might think it's a good fit for their audience.

Jim - nice to see you dropping in! Those are all good choices - Travis Tritt, especially, since it's been a long time since his heyday...

Originally Posted By: Digital Angel
Great songwriting and mixing....

Thanks, Da - appreciate it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Floyd and Michael,

Consider this my STANDING O!

Spot on! Especially love the chorus harmony with the effects and hand claps. Great sounding guitar with a terrific arrangement, lyrics, melody and vocal.

And as one who is bored out the yang with the sheer number of all these beer drinking party songs - what a breath of fresh country air. LOL!

In addition to the standing O - I'm lighting my BIC!

You guys should make a video and post this on youtube.

Josie

Josie - goodness! what a nice review - and glad that you included Mike in there - his original lyric was held most of the ideas for this - he is a very talented lyricist - original, interesting, unique - raw... A video does sound like a great idea! I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks, again...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
That was more fun than should be legal! Excellent in every way! And yeah, the suits that run the radio machine program the same cookie cutter stuff day after day. I like a lot of the contemporary country but the same sound gets old after a while. There's nothing boring here! Still trying to get our feet still and stop our hands from clapping! A typical, amazing FJ production!

Alan - Thanks for the kind words. Glad you had a little fun with this. I know we did...
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 08:26 PM
Wow I haven't been on for a while but that was great! Sounded great and a really cool subject and hook! WSS
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 08:42 PM
Floyd, I just love this. Another "keeper". I'll run it by Hayley for my daily reprimand. lol
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 09:23 PM
Now that's a kicker. Michael should be over here - he's a BIAB user. Try to pull him away from the dark side. grin

Thanks, Robert. I think the dark side may have Mike permanently in it's grip. That's one of things I like about him....

Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi Floyd
didn't ya just know that your "Clappy" User Track would come in so handy?!
Clever track - loved the "tell em like it is" lyrics and the Pop / Country style too. Another outstanding production.

Ian - thanks. the claps are great as a loop. it seems that the loops function is really overlooked as a BIAB tool - it really is a great one. Didn't even have to think about those claps - just loaded the loop and there they were - right were they needed to be...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/18/14 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

Comin´in a little late to the party,
BUT WHAT A PARTY !!!! This is my
new Floydsong favorite and not only
for those spot on lyrics ! Everything
works so fine on this one !

You hit the nails head with the lyrics
too ! (it could well be applied to
other genre´s than country as well ) !:))

LOL - Dani - you DO say that about every new one, I think - and I appreciate you for it! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey Floyd.

Just trying to get myself back to the forum after being buried in work since January, only to have another illusion about US life shattered!

Great sound, but are you allowed that much reverb on country songs?

But, what the heck - you know how I love to shovel reverb onto everything and I have to say that the track works superbly well. I really like the "bigger" sound which you've used in the recent offerings and the whole effect is very smooth and professional. Hey, with a sound like that you could try your hand at a rock ballad. Stick that Bon Jovi CD in the truck and see if you get any ideas!

Stay cool. ROG.

ROG - you need to get back here posting some new stuff! I had to go listen - I've done several things since this - to hear the reverb - it was noticeable, wasn't it... I've been experimenting a bit with vocals lately - one of those things that once you start, no telling where it might lead...I've actually been working on a "big ballad" the last few days - and REALLY piled on the processing - jury is still out on that one...

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Well Floyd, my +100 to everything said before about the song and your delivery. Outstanding! Probably the folks at the Country Music Awards would want your heads for this. I really think that the new wave of country music is actually doing away with it altogether. Much crossover and hip hop going on there. A shame if you ask me. But it sells I guess.

My regards

Mike B.

Mike - so nice of you to drop by! I know this is not your normal genre..so I certainly do appreciate it. Yeah, that hip hop country thing is something I can't understand - hopefully it won't go too far...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I’m late to the party but man am I glad that I came!

Everything that I wanted to say has already been said so all I can add is WOW!

This is a keeper!

Mario - it's never too late to party! After all.... this is new country! Thanks for droppin in...

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/19/14 01:42 PM
Floyd is real Country. His pickup truck is full of manure as well. grin

Well... the back is currently full of crap...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Too cool floyd. I reckon you turned the dial on your machine to Country (Irony), cranked the lever and out shot another outstanding production. I'm with Tom on how timely this is following the N"ville discussion. For something you did "really fast" it still has the floyd jane stamp of excellence all over it.

BTW, wonder how many folks know what "slopping hogs" means? smile

J&B - thanks y'all! Fire up BIAB - crank 'em out... when the chores are done, of course...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Real Country - 05/19/14 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Westside Steve
Wow I haven't been on for a while but that was great! Sounded great and a really cool subject and hook! WSS

Steve - so nice of you to drop by for a listen. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Floyd, I just love this. Another "keeper". I'll run it by Hayley for my daily reprimand. lol

Don - good to see you, my friend! Thanks so much...
© PG Music Forums