PG Music Home
Posted By: olemon Quite A Woman - 05/31/14 03:56 PM
A song that's been on the back burner for a few years...just finished a few days ago.

One day while I was still at work, a rain storm rapidly approached. My sweetie rushed out to cover our bass boat just in time. Our friend and neighbor remarked on her quick action, which provided the spark for this country sounding tune.

https://soundcloud.com/blushasta-music/quite-a-woman

RealTracks in song:

NashvilleSwing8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
966:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieGrittyMuted Sw 140
977:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingGritty Sw 140
1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
2041:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120 (Bluesy)
615:Harmonica, Background HeeHaw Sw 165
613:Guitar, Resonator, Background Hank Sw 130

QUITE A WOMAN

Each and every morning I wake up in happiness
Can't believe she loves me it's chemistry I guess
Some kind of chain reaction where two lovin' hearts ignite
All I really know is that she's quite

Chorus

'Cause she can silence her class with just one look
Not afraid to bait her own hook
When she borrows the truck she fills the tank
Covers the boat if it looks like rain
She can sew the wings on a butterfly
Talk them apples right into the pie
That's right she's quite a woman

I could sing about those emerald eyes and ruby lips
Sexy talk sexy walk the way she swings those hips
Makes me thank my lucky stars I'm her Mr. Right
But, all I'm gonna' say is that she's quite

Repeat Chorus

Bridge

Now I don't like to sound just like
An old worn out cliché
But, I've been living on cloud nine
Since our wedding day

Repeat Chorus

Copyright © 2014 by Scott H Olson
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Quite A Woman - 05/31/14 05:32 PM
Hi Scott.
That is a very enjoyable listen. I loved the line "not afraid to bait her own hook". A great tribute to your wife. Good job
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Quite A Woman - 06/01/14 01:32 AM
hi scott great job sounded great on my system well done eric
Posted By: gruverider Re: Quite A Woman - 06/01/14 03:21 AM
great lyrics!!

and I really like the harmonica!

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Quite A Woman - 06/01/14 03:26 AM
Sounded great. Well written tune.

Charlie
Posted By: boehm Re: Quite A Woman - 06/01/14 03:11 PM
Hi Scott,

what a nice tribute to your wife!
Very good production.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Quite A Woman - 06/01/14 05:57 PM
Very cool and clever! Really creative and refreshing lyrics! Keep up the great work. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Quite A Woman - 06/02/14 12:46 AM
Nice retro sounding old style country tune.

You have some really cool lyrical phrases in there too... sew the wings on a butterfly.... talk those apples right into a pie.... Love it!!!!

nice writing.

So... on the solo, it loses it's groove. Did you use a dobro straight pattern instead of a dobro swing? It sounds like the lead is straight and the rest of the band's swinging. Gotta watch the details.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Quite A Woman - 06/02/14 05:55 AM
Hi, Scott !:))

I really enjoyed this !
I like the rhytm and
your way to sing this tune!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: olemon Re: Quite A Woman - 06/03/14 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Scott.
That is a very enjoyable listen. I loved the line "not afraid to bait her own hook". A great tribute to your wife. Good job

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi scott great job sounded great on my system well done eric

Originally Posted By: gruverider
great lyrics!!

and I really like the harmonica!

much enjoyed!

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Sounded great. Well written tune.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Scott,

what a nice tribute to your wife!
Very good production.

Guenter

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool and clever! Really creative and refreshing lyrics! Keep up the great work. Take care. Greg

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Scott !:))

I really enjoyed this !
I like the rhytm and
your way to sing this tune!:))

Cheers
Dani

Thank you all for listening and for saying those nice things. I'm a songwriter first, I guess, so I'm ecstatic that you like the song!

As far as performing the song and recording it, I'm always in a rush, trying to improve there, but it's a challenge:) Thanks again.
Posted By: olemon Re: Quite A Woman - 06/03/14 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice retro sounding old style country tune.

You have some really cool lyrical phrases in there too... sew the wings on a butterfly.... talk those apples right into a pie.... Love it!!!!

nice writing.

So... on the solo, it loses it's groove. Did you use a dobro straight pattern instead of a dobro swing? It sounds like the lead is straight and the rest of the band's swinging. Gotta watch the details.

Man, I can't get away with anything around here! Just kidding.

First, I value your critiques and I'm thrilled you like the song, Herb, thank you.

On the recording.... Yeah. The sw solos I found were so Texas/Western Swing, not at all what I was after. But, the ev solos had all the cool riffs and the twang I wanted. I think my best option on this is to work out my own guitar lead and play that. As you noted, I went with some ev Brent guitar and some ev resonator to create an instrumental which is a compromise, and prolly not a real good one. The vocal could be better too. This one is a one-take I recorded to edit the RT's, kept it, and then used Nectar 2 for some harmonies. I'm planning to use Melodyne on my next projects, have been watching the tutorials, and I have some songbird friends who are going to sing harmonies on some songs too.

Thanks again for taking the time, Herb.

Scott
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Quite A Woman - 06/03/14 02:53 PM
Scott,

A VERY solid write! Interesting and original...

Good production. Nice balance to everything (nice drums!).
Nice vocal...

Get those solos right... once again, this is too good to have anything "not quite what it should be"....

Very enjoyable.

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Quite A Woman - 06/03/14 03:28 PM
I'm with fj on this....the tune is well worth playing around some more with the solos. The lyric is way way too good not to. And the mix is spot on. Hey, that's the best use of an RT harp that I've heard yet!

It's really an experiential thang regarding mixing sw and ev RT's. I frequently put a swing bass on our bluegrass compositions and although the BG tracks are ev it works fine. For years I'd play a swingish walking bass with our BG band and get away with it -- or at least I think I did smile I've mixed a few sw and ev RTs other than just BG and, in general, I can feel them fighting each other or at best gently tugging -- which may work.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Quite A Woman - 06/03/14 10:13 PM
Scott, Some great lines in this one. I may be in the minority here but I didn't like the way the verses were left hanging on the word quite. The rest of the write is very solid. The drums are sounding good. The vocal is good. The mix is good, but as others have said the solos need work. You are most definitely heading in the right direction. Keep writing! Tom
Posted By: RichMac Re: Quite A Woman - 06/04/14 02:16 AM
Good fun. Like the vocal and lyrics. A bit of a roger Miller sound there. Cheers.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Quite A Woman - 06/04/14 11:43 AM
real nice song and excellent performance. Good back story and lyrics, too. I am not sure if I would have noticed the solo stuff if others hadn't mentioned it above, but I guess they are right (ha, ha). Do the solos yourself if you can (or get someone else to do it).

Mighty fine line listen. You know I gotta like it since it has the word "chemistry" in there!
Posted By: Sonny Ray Re: Quite A Woman - 06/04/14 08:05 PM
Love the lilting bounce of this tune and the Tom T. Hall-like lyrics. Nice clean-sounding arrangement, and a perfect vocal.
"Talk them apples right into the pie" indeed! That's a video I'd like to see.
Thanks for posting this one.
Posted By: Digital Angel Re: Quite A Woman - 06/05/14 11:37 AM
Nice tribute to the one that sticks by us through thick and thin.

"I could sing about those emerald eyes and ruby lips
Sexy talk sexy walk the way she swings those hips."

Easy big fella stick to the script.

DA...
Posted By: Sundance Re: Quite A Woman - 06/07/14 01:34 AM
Scott,

Some cool lines in there, good melody and strong vocal. I also like the arrangement. The solo probably could fit tighter.

I like your song a lot.

Josie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Quite A Woman - 06/07/14 01:40 AM
Scott, I agree with all that's been said. All I can add is that I really like your vocal and lyrics on this one. Super job on that.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Quite A Woman - 06/07/14 06:20 AM
Very well done, Great vocal and lyrics thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Quite A Woman - 06/07/14 11:47 PM
Hi Scott,

Like the combination of the harmonica and the Resonator guitar.
A nice and relaxed song.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Quite A Woman - 06/08/14 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Good fun. Like the vocal and lyrics. A bit of a roger Miller sound there. Cheers.

Yep, just what we were thinking! That says it all for us. nice, indeed!!!

Alan & Di
Posted By: olemon Re: Quite A Woman - 06/08/14 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott,

A VERY solid write! Interesting and original...

Good production. Nice balance to everything (nice drums!).
Nice vocal...

Get those solos right... once again, this is too good to have anything "not quite what it should be"....

Very enjoyable.

floyd

Thanks Floyd. Yes, I spent a little more time on the drums now that I understand the style variations and so on:)

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I'm with fj on this....the tune is well worth playing around some more with the solos. The lyric is way way too good not to. And the mix is spot on. Hey, that's the best use of an RT harp that I've heard yet!

It's really an experiential thang regarding mixing sw and ev RT's. I frequently put a swing bass on our bluegrass compositions and although the BG tracks are ev it works fine. For years I'd play a swingish walking bass with our BG band and get away with it -- or at least I think I did smile I've mixed a few sw and ev RTs other than just BG and, in general, I can feel them fighting each other or at best gently tugging -- which may work.

So hard to know if the RT's embellishments and the riffs are too much or not enough. Glad the harmonica worked. On the ev and the sw RT's, yep, gotcha'.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Scott, Some great lines in this one. I may be in the minority here but I didn't like the way the verses were left hanging on the word quite. The rest of the write is very solid. The drums are sounding good. The vocal is good. The mix is good, but as others have said the solos need work. You are most definitely heading in the right direction. Keep writing! Tom

Thanks Tom. Actually, I'm somewhat in the minority too. I'm asking a lot from the listener to wait around till the end of the chorus to find out what the heck that 'Quite' meant. I took a chance there, I know....

Ya'll know I value your critiques and appreciate the listens. I hear what you're saying.
Posted By: olemon Re: Quite A Woman - 06/08/14 02:12 PM

Thank you sir!

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
real nice song and excellent performance. Good back story and lyrics, too. I am not sure if I would have noticed the solo stuff if others hadn't mentioned it above, but I guess they are right (ha, ha). Do the solos yourself if you can (or get someone else to do it).

Mighty fine line listen. You know I gotta like it since it has the word "chemistry" in there!

Glad you enjoyed the song and the lyrics.

Originally Posted By: Sonny Ray
Love the lilting bounce of this tune and the Tom T. Hall-like lyrics. Nice clean-sounding arrangement, and a perfect vocal.
"Talk them apples right into the pie" indeed! That's a video I'd like to see.
Thanks for posting this one.

Thanks for that Sonny. The song came to me as an old timey country tune, but I never would have guessed Roger Miller or Tom T. Hall:)

Originally Posted By: Digital Angel
Nice tribute to the one that sticks by us through thick and thin.

"I could sing about those emerald eyes and ruby lips
Sexy talk sexy walk the way she swings those hips."

Easy big fella stick to the script.

DA...

Ha! Thanks Eric.
Posted By: olemon Re: Quite A Woman - 06/08/14 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Scott,

Some cool lines in there, good melody and strong vocal. I also like the arrangement. The solo probably could fit tighter.

I like your song a lot.

Josie

Thanks for listening Josie:) I really wanted some driving, twangy Nashville guitar to help nudge this song into the present. I'll have to give it another go.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Scott, I agree with all that's been said. All I can add is that I really like your vocal and lyrics on this one. Super job on that.

Thanks so much for those kind words.

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Very well done, Great vocal and lyrics thanks for sharing!

Appreciate that:)

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Scott,

Like the combination of the harmonica and the Resonator guitar.
A nice and relaxed song.

Thanks. I did too. The RT's are amazing! Love this music software!!

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Yep, just what we were thinking! That says it all for us. nice, indeed!!!

Alan & Di

Thank you both so much. You're in our thoughts and prayers.
© PG Music Forums