PG Music Home
Posted By: PgFantastic Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/07/14 06:15 AM
The lyrics to this one were written by my mom. All of the tracks are biab, I will edit this tomorrow to give a list of the tracks. Here is the link, feedback welcome and appreciated!

Jesus Walks Along With Me
Posted By: olemon Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/08/14 02:25 PM
Nice one by you and your Mother, Robert. I'm hearing a gospel choir take this one home.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/08/14 05:11 PM
Nice song! Like the folksy feel. Lyrics are tight and snappy too! Good stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/08/14 07:38 PM
Hi Robert,

what a great gospel song. You and your mother should be very proud of this as it's a wonderful song with a wonderful performance. I agree that this would be a fabulous piece for gospel choir. i can already see the hands clapping and the church bursting with joy! Loved everything about it!

Di and I wrote a gospel song a couple of years ago that did real good on some Internet radio sites. I might post it soon. Will need to add some strings from BIAB as it was written using a different music program. But, I'll add a track of soft strings so I can post it here without "cheating". I might pout it up in the next day or two.

Again, terrific job on a terrific song!

Alan & Di
Posted By: RichMac Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/08/14 09:56 PM
Enjoyed this one Robert. Nice and light and an uplfting folky gospel feel. Joyful. Like the restrained vocal too. Cheers.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/09/14 08:05 PM
I will convey all of your kind responses to mom, I would tell you her age but she would spank me LOL; thanks for taking the time to listen and share your feedback! I have said this often, I think this is one of the finest forums around. Thanks!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/09/14 09:30 PM
Nice! And very cool to be writing with your mother!! There are some nice choir loops around the net the floyd jane uploaded a handclap user realtrack that we used on a gospel collab.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/10/14 03:42 PM
Cool tune. Short as well.

There are still plenty of gospel groups around here that play that very style of gospel music..... it's called Southern Gospel. Typified by the family based gospel groups and 4 guys in suits, as I like to call them who sing to backing tracks. This style is very popular in lots of churches here in the south. On a given Sunday evening, somewhere, within a short driving distance, there are at least one or two churches hosting just such a group, open to the public.

Your song is solidly in the classic southern gospel writing style. If it was mine, I would consider making a few changes to the tune. First and foremost, write a chorus. Where the solo instruments come in, hit the chorus..... then, at the end of the chorus, hit a short solo section...the hotter the picking here, the better...people in a church love a fancy picking solo no matter what the instrument... as far as solo length, one half of a verse is about right but don't be afraid to go an entire verse.... then grab a third verse (as yet unwritten) followed by the chorus again.....tag it and waaa laaa....

....and just a note...... at the end in a live performance of the song, during the applause and standing ovation...... let the applause go for 10 seconds or so, then jump right back into the chorus, hit another verse, followed by the chorus and tag at the ending again.... that's a trick I have seen at every single southern gospel show....bar none. The people really, really love that one.

Of course, this is only my opinion..... but as I see it, you have the start to a very good southern gospel song.... now take the time to finish it properly.

Nice work.

As an afterthought, a chorus isn't necessarily needed in this style. You could actually go in either direction....with or without. Just write a third verse and follow the rest of the road map. A bridge may be just as good if there's something you could add in a bridge.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/11/14 12:07 PM
Robert,

Well done. Nice feel to this. Good mix.

Great that you can write stuff with your mom...

floyd
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/12/14 06:11 PM
Guitarhacker thanks for the instructions, appreciate the critique. Thanks floyd jane as well
Posted By: dani48 Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/13/14 09:27 PM
Hi, Robert !

I fall in with the others´praise
of your sweet gospel (with your Mom) !
I think this is one of your best !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: gruverider Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/14/14 02:29 PM
uplifting, much enjoyed!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/15/14 06:47 PM
hi robert great lyrics great production all the way God bless you eric
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/17/14 01:14 AM
Pretty much all been said. A real toe-tapping, uplifting Gospel song, with a great message! Great to write one with your mother. Really enjoyed it!

Steve
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/18/14 12:26 AM
Uplifting gospel tune. Guitarhacker's advice is spot on.

If you and your Mom ever see the Gaither Gospel Hour in the TV channel listings and tune-in, you will hear many uplifting songs like this.

I like your arrangement and instrument choices. Very clever starting with just a guitar backing track.

Instead of a choir, I would consider adding one or more tamborine tracks. BIAB has a loop plus you maybe able to find some samples.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/18/14 02:37 AM
Well Amen, I love it Robert - just the way it is. I really like the way the arrangement builds with a little country Gospel flavor. And the vocal is great. Sounds like talent runs in the family. <grin>

Josie
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/20/14 04:53 PM
Jim, my mom watches the Gaither's all the time. She would run under a bus to get home in time to watch LOL! Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!
Posted By: MikeK Re: Jesus Walks Along With Me - 06/21/14 03:26 AM
Hey Robert, this is truly a "feel good" song - PERIOD. Nice lyrics by your Mom and nice musical performance all around by you. Perfectly performed. Short and, most of all, SWEET!!!!
© PG Music Forums