PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 02:00 AM
Hi all! It has been a couple months since I have had any time to do anything with my music. I have been working practically 7 days a week. I just finished a remix of a song I wrote a couple years back. I added a few extra touches to it. I hope you enjoy it!

I will try to get to get caught up on listening to the forum songs over then next few days. I hope my schedule will allow it!

Girl With The Green Dress

Here are the RealTracks used...

RealTracks in song: 1268:Bass, Electric, PopUplift Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 1577:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Soul60sSync Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 1399:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Soul70sBrightSync Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1720:Guitar, Electric, Soloist TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: Soul60sEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Here are the lyrics...

It started with a smile and a sweet hello
Something in her voice just let him know
He would never be the same again
He could never call her just a friend
And even though she never heard him say
He's always hoping he can find a way

It's more than just the way she does her hair
Or all the little things that make him care
She's more than just a passing fantasy
He's always known that she was meant to be
And even though she never heard him say
He's always hoping he can find the way

He's in love with the girl with the green dress on
His heart keeps the beat every time he hears their song
And when she's up
He can hardly be down
There's only one problem
She don't know he's in love

Have a great day!

Steve
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 02:12 AM
Great song Steve. You are right in the pocket on this.

Regards,

Charlie
Posted By: gruverider Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 02:36 AM
Super mix! Everything sounds so alive. The layers never stop and everything finds it's place. And I love the brake-down at 2:50. Great song!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 02:45 AM
Very cool song!! Great energy! Loved the production. I definitely think it would play better to go verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus vs. verse, verse, chorus, chorus. The versus totally work but 2 in a row may leave the listener a bit impatient. Bring them up, and start again. It would be an easy edit. Just a thought. Great work. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 04:44 AM
What a great sound. Killer arrangement and vocals especially those ahahahahs - so cool - love it. I like the form you chose, to me it fits the classic pop/rock style of the song very well.

Good to hear you rocking on one brother.

Josie
Posted By: Skyline Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 11:52 AM
Steve, well that's as perfect as it gets I'd say! I always love your work and the engineering on this showcases an excellent song which morphs wonderfully as it progresses. Lots of ear candy going on as well, very imaginative stuff indeed.

John
Posted By: boehm Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 01:08 PM
Hi Steve,

as John said: an excellent song which morphs wonderfully as it progresses. Lots of ear candy going on as well, very imaginative stuff indeed.
A really enjoyable listen.
Especially liked the vocals and harmonies, and the brass.

Guenter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/12/14 02:57 PM
Steve,

So good to see you back around. Hope you are feeling strong these days...

You are the MASTER at combining just the right mix of RTs to create just the right sound for a song. And this may be one of your best ever.

Please tell us about the horns. They are SO well done.
And the egg?
Great use of the cowbell.
What is the vibraphone sounds?
And the percussive organ - did you play that?

Terrific vocal - as usual. The harmonies really shine here - awesome!

The ending is the best part of an all-around terrific song - it leaves you singing... you just can't help it.

Outstanding.

floyd
Posted By: olemon Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/13/14 12:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Steve, well that's as perfect as it gets I'd say! I always love your work and the engineering on this showcases an excellent song which morphs wonderfully as it progresses. Lots of ear candy going on as well, very imaginative stuff indeed.

John

Yes sireee!

Awesome!! Fantastic groove, and build, I just kept turning it up!!!! Radio ready.

So, was there a trick to that snare drum roll at 00:18? Sweet!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/13/14 02:09 PM
Steve, The overall sound of this is just great. The build up and choices of real tracks and your additional keyboard work and percussion sounds are exceptional. The vocals are spot on. This may be my favorite of yours. The mix is just phenomenal! Tom
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/13/14 05:18 PM
Hi Steve, I keep coming back to listen and enjoy this song and I'm wondering what you used for the horn section? I don't see them listed in your post. I'm liking this song more and more over time.

Charlie
Posted By: dani48 Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/13/14 09:55 PM
Hi, Steve !:))

This is just great !
Love it, love everything
about this song ! This is
my fav Steve song henceforth !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: RichMac Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/13/14 09:55 PM
Great cruizy rocker. Enjoyed it all. Great arrangement and ending. Cheers.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/17/14 01:37 AM
Thank you to all of you who have posted such kind remarks! This was a fun song to write and produce. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and post!

As to your questions, here goes...

The horns are a hybrid mix of some loops that I have, with a lot of soft-synth horns that I played to give them a more realistic sound, along with a lot of subtle mixing and effects. Put a lot of work in, but hopefully they have a pretty "real" sound. I haven't had a chance to listen on a lot of different systems to see.

Floyd, the vibraphone sound that I think you are referring to is actually a church hand bell sound that I have.

The percussive organ is a B3 soft synth. Yes I played it.

There is tamborine, cowbell, and a few other percussion sounds thrown in.

The snare roll is just one of those fills that I happened upon in the BIAB RD track.

I think that answers the questions. I'm pretty tired after a long day at work, so I hope i haven't forgotten anything.

Once again, thanks for all your very kind words! I hope to get caught up on listening to all your music in the near future!

Steve
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/17/14 04:13 PM
Steve, this song is stellar in so many ways....the lyric, the vocals,
the choice of RT's, the arrangement and the incredible mix.

Man, everything just sits so well -- nothing is getting
stepped on. In my book, that isn't easy to pull off.

And, the dynamics, wow! This puppy rocks and yet
it's airy. It breathes.

WTG!!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Redo - Girl With The Green Dress - 06/18/14 10:43 PM
Well Steve,

It's good you found the time to get on with some music.
Because this is a great song, with a very professional musical arrangement.
At times it sounds a bit like Vince Gill's Next Big Thing CD.
That should be a compliment!
Keep up this good work.

Regards,
Rob
© PG Music Forums