PG Music Home
Posted By: cubanpete Night owl - 06/17/14 06:10 PM
Hi guys, here's another smoky night club ballad. Experimenting with a muted trumpet effect. Comments and critique welcome as usual. Night Owl
Stats are:
Style is _J085_AS.STY (Night Jazz Ballad Quartet(85 RS))
StringsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
MelodyCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
SoloistCustom Synth is Addictive Keys acoustic grand piano

RealTracks in song: 2311:Bass, Acoustic, JazzBalladRonA-B Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 741:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060 (B-only:Dbl-energetic)
RealTracks in style: 484:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 495:Trumpet, Jazz Ballad Sw 085 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 2297:Trumpet, Rhythm SlowPop Ev16 065 (1TrackHornSection)
RealDrums in Song: JazzOlder^3-a:Brushes , b:Sidestick, Ride
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Night owl - 06/17/14 09:50 PM
Love the tune and the playing! However, to me the muted trumpet sounds too distant and EQ'd too much to the high end-not enough body. Cool stuff! Take care. Greg
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Night owl - 06/17/14 11:13 PM
Thanks for the comment Greg. I agree, that's why I said I'm experimenting with it. So far the only way I have found to make it sound like that is by pushing the high end almost to the max; therefore the lack of body, also that setting pushed it to the back, which I don't want. So, I'll keep on trying. If someone knows a good way, please, let me know.
Regards

Mike B.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Night owl - 06/18/14 03:05 AM
Hi Pete,

Hope you get the trumpet sound sorted, this is a really nice tune - reminds me of one of those great old private eye movie soundtracks.

Josie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Night owl - 06/18/14 02:44 PM
Mike,

That is fantastic! I kept wondering when my waitress would come around with the drinks! The whole track is so believable!!!

You might try adding some reverb to the trumpet - maybe heavy reverb - that might take some of the "high edge" off - but I'm just guessing...

A very enjoyable listen (all 7 minutes of it!)

floyd
Posted By: gruverider Re: Night owl - 06/18/14 04:57 PM
very much enjoyed, it reminds me of when I used to go to Snug Harbor in the French Quarter.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Night owl - 06/19/14 04:11 AM
Ok, I changed the settings a little bit, didn't have much room for anything at this point, but, I made the trumpet louder so it sounds more to the front than the previous one. Still not 100% to my liking but, there it is. I'll keep on messing with the eq to make the muted trumpet. Thanks for the observations and the time to listen.

Mike B.
Posted By: boehm Re: Night owl - 06/19/14 04:19 PM
Hi Mike,

great mood. Enjoyed listening.

Guenter
Posted By: dani48 Re: Night owl - 06/20/14 07:59 AM
Hi, Mike !:))

Wonderful, just plain wonderful !
I also sat here wondering when my Mojito
would turn up !!!!:))I really loved
the muted trumpet, it did the trick !!!!

Sweet, just sweet........

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: MikeK Re: Night owl - 06/21/14 03:13 AM
Now this is a GEM to me... I love this classic style of Jazz. Great arrangement, Mike! Very well done! Trumpet is not THAT far back, maybe about 2 DBs, that's it. You got a good one here for sure!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Night owl - 06/22/14 01:31 AM
HI Mike ...

Excellent! talk about a mood-setter! We could see all the Lounge Lizzards making their way from table to table with their best lines. Even if you don't smoke, it make you want to light up! Sweet!

Alan & Di
Posted By: RichMac Re: Night owl - 06/22/14 07:17 AM
Love the feel of it all but the trumpet seems too harsh to me. Enjoyed from 5.30 on most. Cheers.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Night owl - 06/22/14 08:49 PM
Mike, great chord progression. You do this sort of thing so well, you make it look easy. Keep working on that trumpet sound. The piano sounds great. Good idea on the club sounds. Very cool. Tom
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Night owl - 06/23/14 07:07 PM
Thank you guys again for the time to listen and the comments. I appreciate all of your opinions, that's why this forum is so great; we all learn from it. I promise I'll work on the trumpet sound, I'm not 100% content with it, but we have to start somewhere, don't we?
Regards to all

Mike B.
Posted By: Frankp Re: Night owl - 06/23/14 11:07 PM
Digging this one. That trumpet is so laid back (behind the beat), loving the feel. It feels like 2 am, just a few night-owls still at a smoky bar, and the jazz combo plays the last tune of the last set.

I would say everyone seems to be in a laid back groove except the piano solo. That's the one thing I'd experiment with.
© PG Music Forums