PG Music Home
Posted By: PatrickH In the Attic ( Going Back in Time ) - Bossa - 06/21/14 12:22 AM
Hi all,
First off, thanks to Joanne Cooper, Kajun Jeaux and Sundance for the positive feedback on "Ode to A Cat." I didn't want to bump it up on the forum again. However, I did a Youtube.com upload for all interested ( Joanne FYI - He's Black and White like Emily!)

Pancho's Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNri7te9RLw
(aka Ode to a Cat), note: skip the ads or not, I just allow them in the slim hopes that youtube will bump up my video.

Now for In the Attic (Going back in time)

This song was built off my final assignment in the Coursera.org Songwriting Course ( Pat Pattison ). The song memo info follows. It is a rough draft using BIAB and then Sonar X2 for the vocal overdub. But, with BIAB even a rough draft can sound pretty nice ( if they could only BIAB a better vocalist I could just plug in )!

Style is _SHSAMBA.STY (Samba w TambourineLoop (190 RS))

RealTracks in style: ~~464:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in style: ~~470:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealDrums in style: Samba^1-a:Sticks , b:Ride Contemporary

https://soundcloud.com/musingthemusic/in-the-attic-going-back-in-time-final/s-X968s

Look I found a photograph and you and I
are framed against the clear blue summer sky
gently dancing dust , on lightbeams quietly set the scene
In the attic, as i'm going back in time

memories filter in, that make me laugh, that make me cry
A single tear now falling on a smile
I taste the salt, of ocean walks..... feel the love we shared
In the attic, as going back in time

in reaching now, the box that holds...so many more
tips, and keys to memories fall like rain
my mind is in a tailspin ...... rearranging
all the stories that lie scattered on the floor

The Bull Run that we did in Spain, death defied
The gyroplane you taught me how to fly
hand in hand, exotic lands, (B) the roads we travelled on
In the attic, as i'm going back in time.

so many trips, so many trains
We shared the joys, shared the pain
of all too soon, .... Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye

Look, I found a photograph

Thanks for giving it a listen.

-Patrick

P.S. I believe I sold a Garage Band enthusiast into purchasing BIAB for his MAC after "Ode to A Cat". That was a real nice BIAB Realtrack/band etc. etc.I think he will be very pleased.
Hey Patric, nice tune and the vocal goes pretty good with the style. Only suggestion is that maybe allow for more bars in the intro and maybe work on the ending. Somewhat sudden.
Take care

Mike B.
I like this. Good foundation for something nice. I agree with Mike B on the bars and ending. Vocals could also be a bit more up front.

Overall, very nice work!
Well, that was different ... and very enjoyable! It seems you might have made a few minor adjustments after the previous reviews as we didn't heart any real issue ... just a lot of sweet fun! Best to ya!

Alan & Di
Hi Patrick,

very enjoyable song.
Your vocals fit the style.

Guenter
Patrick,

A solid write. Nice production and mix. The vocal could come up some - it's worth showing off...

Enjoyed it.

floyd
Hi, Patrick !:))

You know I love cats !
I have two of my own
black and white they are
so it is natural that
I love all tunes telling
stories about cats !
I just love this one too
and especially your yodeling !!! (chuckle) !!!

Cheers
Dani
Really great idea for a song and great execution!! There are some wonderful images and emotions. My only tweak would be to try to make the vocals easier to understand-possibly a bit more level and maybe some high end to catch the consonants better? Great work! Take care. Greg
Thanks for all the feedback on how i might improve /tweak the production. It is in draft now, so i can take the suggestions and move it forward. I'm working on learning some nice Bossa rhythms on guitar to accompany it ( using "the brazilian guitar book"as a guide). And, hopefully i can overlay that with some of the nice BIAB stuff! Kind of hard to sing one rhythm and play another one but a nice challenge. Thanks again.
Hi Patrick liked the video. So does Scooter. He's a half wild tom.

Nice old time feel to in the attic. Almost expect Fred astaire and Ginger to come dancing out from the wings. Cheers.
© PG Music Forums