PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle It's Your Birthday - 06/21/14 05:25 PM
Short tribute instrumental to my late brother Harold Fogle who would have turned 69 on June 18,2014. He spent his life playing the steel guitar and this is my idea to how he may have interpreted this piece were he still here today. Everything composed, arranged and generated with real tracks from BIAB.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: It's Your Birthday
Key=C , Tempo 70 Length (m:s)=2:12
Style is _RNBROCK.STY (Modern RnB Rock)
RealTracks in style: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 869:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockWarmA-B Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 872:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockFunkyA-B Ev 065
RealDrums in style: RockModernRnB^01-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Crash Ride

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-fogle/its-your-birthday-tribute-to-harold
Posted By: PatrickH Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/21/14 05:39 PM
I like, especially understanding the reason you made the tune. Thank you for presenting it here.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/21/14 08:45 PM
Fitting and really nice tribute.
Posted By: dani48 Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/21/14 09:11 PM
Hi, Charlie !

I´m sorry for the loss
of your brother ! It is
always so painful to loose
a close relative !
Your tribute is beautiful and
heartfelt, one can hear it
in your chords !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 01:16 AM
Hi Charlie ...

A very nice tribute song. We think he would be proud of you if he were to hear this.

We're very reluctant to make critical comments on tribute songs because of the deep emotion involved. We would like to suggest, however, that the chop electric rhythm on the right channel might have a real nice sound if you used a nice acoustic track. Regardless, this is real nice! Thanks for the real nice listen!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 02:29 AM
I love the feel! Steel guitar can capture a lot of emotion, and this feels very natural to me. A really nice tribute. I'm sure he's smiling down on you. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 05:30 AM
Nobilis - Thanks for listening and commenting.
Jim - Thanks for listening. I corrected the date.
Dani - Thanks for your comments. We both know too well life can be too short.

Alan & Di - I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. No problem with you offering suggestions. Your recommendations are always well thought out and presented politely. I'm not sure if I will re-visit this particular piece as it was more of a musing as I was playing with chord progressions on BIAB and the default backing instruments. The piece was written throughout with a piano as the solo instrument. I took a break and was over on Facebook and saw some postings about my late brothers birthday. In a whimsical mood, I came back to BIAB and replaced the piano with the steel guitar. My brother played the pedal steel professionally from middle school until his passing. There were several chopping sections that didn't fit with the steel as well as with the piano but I concentrated on the soloist steel sounds rather than the background instruments. He was a jazzy player so the flats and major
sevenths in the progression made the steel sound reminiscent of him in those areas.
Greg - Thanks for posting. I appreciate your kind words.
Posted By: RichMac Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 06:25 AM
Like this one too and also feel the chop is a bit heavy for it. Love the steel though. Cheers.
Posted By: boehm Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 12:49 PM
Hi Charlie,

a nice tribute to your late brother.
He would like it.

Guenter
Posted By: RnAM Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 01:18 PM
Hi Charlie,

First of all we are sorry for your loss.
The song: sounds nice, especially the pedal steel. We are wondering which pedal steel real track you used?

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: It's Your Birthday - 06/22/14 02:44 PM
- RichMac - Thanks for listening. I've gone back and listened more critically, and agree with you and others that the guitar doesn't fit well and is distracting. I'll do some more work on this.

- Guenter - Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.

- R & AM - Thanks for your kind comments and I apologize for overlooking listing all of the real tracks.

1999: Pedal Steel, Soloist Country 12-Paul Sw 065. By the way, the steel guitar solo track is unedited and is all BIAB generated.
© PG Music Forums