PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane This Old Heart - 06/29/14 05:55 PM
Wrote this with Scott Whitehead.
Scott was half of the duo "Hometown News".
They had a couple of releases and charted a couple of singles before their record company went the way of so many others...

THIS OLD HEART

this old heart is a little bit used
it's been around the block a time or two
but it's not ready to be sold for parts
there's still a lot of loving left in this old heart

i've made mistakes and i've seen my share
of broken promises and bad affairs
but that won't stop me trying to hit the mark

take a chance, you'd be surprised
    at all that you might find
    there are nooks and crannies that have never been touched
    deep in this heart of mine
    it might be rusted, but it ain't busted
    might miss a beat or two at the start
    but there's still a lot of loving left in this old heart

it runs pretty strong and it never gives up
it wants to belong to one true love
keeps telling me forever is not too far

take a chance, you'd be surprised
    at all that you might find
    there are nooks and crannies that have never been touched
    deep in this heart of mine
    it might be rusted, but it ain't busted
    might miss a beat or two at the start
    but there's still a lot of loving left in this old heart

this old heart is a little bit used
it's been around the block a time or two
but it's not ready to be sold for parts

... and the band...
RealTracks in song: 521:Bass, Electric, Pop Syncopated Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 412:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Cowboy Ev 165
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

If you would be interested... here are a couple of videos of "Hometown News".
(Scott is the one with the flat-top)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFQmpNDJlzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3xT8Q1Efmo

floyd
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: This Old Heart - 06/29/14 06:11 PM
Great combination of fun and depth!! Really great write! Tight chorus, great metaphor. Great work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: This Old Heart - 06/29/14 06:18 PM
Hi Floyd. This is a solid write and excellent production. You're able to always get it right. I enjoyed the two videos of Hometown News. Been on the Enterprise in Charleston several times.

Regards,

Charlie
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: This Old Heart - 06/29/14 08:07 PM
As usual you knocked it out of the park, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RnAM Re: This Old Heart - 06/29/14 08:17 PM
Hi Floyd,

This old heart?
You look still kinda young to us? laugh
Very nice country rock song and we especially like the harmonies.

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: RichMac Re: This Old Heart - 06/29/14 09:55 PM
Hi Floyd. Enjoyed that. Liked the old car and thought the vocal and mix were superb. And the country guitar. Cheers.
Posted By: ROG Re: This Old Heart - 06/29/14 10:26 PM
Hi Floyd.

You've got a really good groove going here!

The backing's really punchy and snappy and the guitar riff is spot on. Nice country lyric and your usual superb vocal delivery. Production and mix is well up to your traditional high standard.

Wasn't sure whether to count this in 2/4 or 4/4, or a mixture of the two, but either way the bar count in places was unusual, though always in a nice way.

Are you still working on that rock ballad, or have I missed it whilst I've been away?

ROG.

Posted By: gruverider Re: This Old Heart - 06/30/14 02:36 AM
I just love the chord progression, the melody and your phrasing here.

And the lyrics are tight, not a wasted word to be found.

Great song!

What is the chord progression?
Posted By: boehm Re: This Old Heart - 06/30/14 02:27 PM
Hi Floyd,

as Greg said: Great combination of fun and depth!!
The backing is perfect.
And your vocals and harmonies are top notch as always.
The second video is not available in Germany.
But I enjoyed the first.

Guenter
Posted By: dani48 Re: This Old Heart - 06/30/14 06:40 PM
Hi, Floyd !:))

I love This Old Heart in
every aspect ! ....and I love
the Hometown News too ! :))
I hope you are still singing
and playing together !
These videos are professionally
made allthrough !:))

WOW, that is all I can say.....

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 06/30/14 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great combination of fun and depth!! Really great write! Tight chorus, great metaphor. Great work! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. Really appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Hi Floyd. This is a solid write and excellent production. You're able to always get it right. I enjoyed the two videos of Hometown News. Been on the Enterprise in Charleston several times. Regards, Charlie

Charlie - thanks for listening and commenting...

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
As usual you knocked it out of the park, thanks for sharing!

Robert - always nice to see you drop by...

Originally Posted By: R & AM
This old heart?
You look still kinda young to us? laugh
Very nice country rock song and we especially like the harmonies.

Regards, R & AM

R & AM - Isn't it great how pictures don't age... the only thing from that that still looks the same is the guitar...

Posted By: tommyad Re: This Old Heart - 06/30/14 10:06 PM
floyd, That's a really tight write. No fat there. I love the recurring guitar lick. Nice job editing that in there. This has a catchy groove that grabs you from the very start. Once again a great vocal. The lack of reverb makes the mix crisp and in your face, perfect for the song. Please tell your wife I said you are such a perfectionist you must be hell to live with. Great job all around. Love the sound of that popping tele. Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: This Old Heart - 07/01/14 03:25 AM
Quote:
The backing's really punchy and snappy and the guitar riff is spot on. Nice country lyric and your usual superb vocal delivery. Production and mix is well up to your traditional high standard.

+1

Josie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/01/14 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd. Enjoyed that. Liked the old car and thought the vocal and mix were superb. And the country guitar. Cheers.

Richard - Thanks for having a listen...

Originally Posted By: ROG
You've got a really good groove going here!

Wasn't sure whether to count this in 2/4 or 4/4, or a mixture of the two, but either way the bar count in places was unusual, though always in a nice way.

Are you still working on that rock ballad, or have I missed it whilst I've been away? ROG.

ROG - Thanks! It's 4/4..there are a couple of spots where I have 2 beat measures - a feel thing - since Lawrence asked about the chord progression, I will add a link to the SGU for anyone interested (have to go find it).
Re: that rock ballad... give me a couple of examples of what you are thinking - and I'll see what I can do...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/01/14 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I just love the chord progression, the melody and your phrasing here.

And the lyrics are tight, not a wasted word to be found.

Great song!

What is the chord progression?

Lawrence - Appreciate all that!.. let's see if we can figure out how to get this in here....

-- the C at 12, 24, 52 are 2 beat measures
-- I generally play this in a G, but dropped it to F 'cause someone was complaining about getting old... the SGU is at the bottom - so it can be transposed...

Here is the SGU if anyone would like to try it out...
THIS OLD HEART SGU

That is a zip file of the SGU - which should prompt you to save it somewhere...
Posted By: MarioD Re: This Old Heart - 07/01/14 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Quote:

+1

Josie

another big +1

You never disappoint me as every song you do is super!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/02/14 01:59 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
as Greg said: Great combination of fun and depth!!
The backing is perfect.
And your vocals and harmonies are top notch as always.
The second video is not available in Germany.
But I enjoyed the first. Guenter

Thanks, Guenter... Germany seems to control such things more tightly than the rest of the world. Not sure why that would be blocked, though...

Originally Posted By: dani48
I love This Old Heart in
every aspect ! ....and I love
the Hometown News too ! :))
I hope you are still singing
and playing together !
These videos are professionally
made allthrough !:))

WOW, that is all I can say.....

Cheers Dani

Dani - appreciate that... well, those videos are professionally done...so that would explain it - LOL...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/02/14 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, That's a really tight write. No fat there. I love the recurring guitar lick. Nice job editing that in there. This has a catchy groove that grabs you from the very start. Once again a great vocal. The lack of reverb makes the mix crisp and in your face, perfect for the song. Please tell your wife I said you are such a perfectionist you must be hell to live with. Great job all around. Love the sound of that popping tele. Tom

Tom - always glad to catch your ear. So very glad you noticed the recurring guitar lick (of course, ROG caught it, too). That was, in fact, my main intent with this when I started - to find a "signature lick" from what BIAB presented and exploit it throughout the song... someone had been bemoaning the fact that you did not get such things using BIAB - and I wanted to show that wasn't true...

That popping tele works so well for these type songs - surprised that people don't use it more...

My wife would likely say... "Perfectionist??? OMG!! He's a slob!!!"
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: This Old Heart - 07/02/14 03:25 PM
I must definitely agree with the snapping Tele. It grabbed my attention instantly.

May I share it with Graham Wilson in hopes of getting you some airplay on Sounds Of Scotland? He's several months behind in auditioning submissions but at least you'll be in the queue.

Great work, as usual, Floyd. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: PatrickH Re: This Old Heart - 07/03/14 12:43 AM
Forever is not too far. Amen

Nice .

Patrick
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/04/14 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Quote:

+1 Josie

Thanks, Josie....

Originally Posted By: MarioD

another big +1

You never disappoint me as every song you do is super!

Mario - appreciate that, man...

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I must definitely agree with the snapping Tele. It grabbed my attention instantly.

May I share it with Graham Wilson in hopes of getting you some airplay on Sounds Of Scotland? He's several months behind in auditioning submissions but at least you'll be in the queue.

Great work, as usual, Floyd. Thanks for sharing.

Don - thanks for dropping by.... and.. be my guest - spread it as far and wide as possible....

Originally Posted By: nobilis
Forever is not too far. Amen

Nice .

Patrick

Patrick - Thanks... appreciate the listen...
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: This Old Heart - 07/05/14 08:29 PM
Hi Floyd
Havent had much time to listen much lately...but certainly glad I didnt miss this one...It might be rusted but it aint busted.. Great job.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: This Old Heart - 07/06/14 03:15 AM
Hi floyd,

I've been away from the forums for a while! Unfortunately the demands of real life have made it impossible to keep up with anything computer related (that also included writing songs). Even my smartphone couldn't help. Anyway, that's all in the past now and odd windows of opportunity are presenting themselves. Yay smile

“This Old Heart” was the very first song I listened to when, for the first time in ages, I popped into the User's Showcase.

I have to echo everyone else's comments and say, “Wow! What a solid write: inventive and captivating lyrics, great melody, perfect arrangement and all of these iced with a top notch production. Really good stuff!”

I have to say that I like the way you've taken the AABA song form and tweaked it to suit your needs. Varying the “first time through” final A-section from the “second time through” final A-section works really well. I also like the repetition of the very first A-section of the song as the final section. It strongly strengthens meaning.

After the song had finished playing, I read through the lyrics because, as you know, I always enjoy looking at the way your lyric movement complements your melody and harmony. “This Old Heart” did not disappoint.

As I read through the lyrics, one of the first things that stood out was the refrain at the end of each A-section. The “L” sounds that rolled along throughout the phrase “still a lot of loving left” had a sonic cohesion that made the line flow beautifully to my ears. Also, using the refrain at the end of the B-section struck me as unusual but very effective. It definitely worked for me. (I made a note that it's something I must try sometime.)

Loved it!

It's great to be able to be back online again.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: This Old Heart - 07/06/14 03:10 PM
I love this Floyd. It's snappy, punchy mix-wise, and very foot-tappy. There's some very fruity chord changes which are strong hooks. A very smart piece of work, oh, and superbly sung as usual.

John
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: This Old Heart - 07/07/14 12:50 PM
Nice solid song as many others have pointed out.

Good use of the guitar tracks.

Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/07/14 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Floyd
Havent had much time to listen much lately...but certainly glad I didnt miss this one...It might be rusted but it aint busted.. Great job.

Joanne - thanks for the spin..

Originally Posted By: Skyline
I love this Floyd. It's snappy, punchy mix-wise, and very foot-tappy. There's some very fruity chord changes which are strong hooks. A very smart piece of work, oh, and superbly sung as usual. John

John - thanks for all that. If I can get that kind of reaction from you, then I must have done a few things right...:)

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice solid song as many others have pointed out.

Good use of the guitar tracks.

Thanks, Herb.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Old Heart - 07/08/14 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

I've been away from the forums for a while! Unfortunately the demands of real life have made it impossible to keep up with anything computer related (that also included writing songs). Even my smartphone couldn't help. Anyway, that's all in the past now and odd windows of opportunity are presenting themselves. Yay smile

“This Old Heart” was the very first song I listened to when, for the first time in ages, I popped into the User's Showcase.

I have to echo everyone else's comments and say, “Wow! What a solid write: inventive and captivating lyrics, great melody, perfect arrangement and all of these iced with a top notch production. Really good stuff!”

I have to say that I like the way you've taken the AABA song form and tweaked it to suit your needs. Varying the “first time through” final A-section from the “second time through” final A-section works really well. I also like the repetition of the very first A-section of the song as the final section. It strongly strengthens meaning.

After the song had finished playing, I read through the lyrics because, as you know, I always enjoy looking at the way your lyric movement complements your melody and harmony. “This Old Heart” did not disappoint.

As I read through the lyrics, one of the first things that stood out was the refrain at the end of each A-section. The “L” sounds that rolled along throughout the phrase “still a lot of loving left” had a sonic cohesion that made the line flow beautifully to my ears. Also, using the refrain at the end of the B-section struck me as unusual but very effective. It definitely worked for me. (I made a note that it's something I must try sometime.)

Loved it!

It's great to be able to be back online again.

All the best,
Noel

Noel...

First of all... WELCOME BACK!!! So glad to "see" you... you have been missed, my friend...

I always so enjoy reading your analysis of a song - you seem to savor a lyric and melody like a fine glass of wine - and allow the rest of us to watch as you look at it's legs against the light and expound on its various flavors and influences... it is a delight...

Thanks for all those very kind words... much appreciated...

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: This Old Heart - 07/08/14 03:11 PM
That is absolutely one of the strongest lyrics I've ever heard in a love song. Imaginative imagery, emotional, the thread of hope that runs through it -- so superior to thousands of hits that it makes one again ponder the variables that keep a song like this from being numero uno.

Throw it in a pot that includes the impeccable floyd jane production and vocals and you have another example of what wonders a great artist and PG Music can yield.
© PG Music Forums