PG Music Home
Posted By: aleck rand Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/01/14 03:30 PM
Hi folks, hope all of you are enjoying the summer.

Some sad news prompts me to drop in from my sabbatical. The name Horace Silver may not be familiar to many Forum members but I have a picture of him hanging in my office, along with pictures other slightly lesser figures: bassist George Mraz, Wes Montgomery, singer Abbie Lincoln. His pivotal stature in jazz is described in the following London Telegraph obituary, which features some great pics of Horace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10911698/Horace-Silver-obituary.html

For this post I put together a quick performance of a big band arrangement of one of his truly powerhouse tunes (other details are in the SoundCloud notes). Even if you don't like jazz, you'll like the brevity of my solo.

BB Style: JAZZFAST (t=290).
RealDrum Styles: ChaChaFull^8, Jazz #1 and RockEven8.

Listen to Nutville https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/nutville-w-surround
Posted By: MarioD Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/01/14 03:46 PM
Sounds great. Very good mix with some outstanding guitar chops.

This is a keeper!
Posted By: boehm Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/01/14 04:36 PM
Hi Dean,

nice to have you back.
Great playing. (Brass, piano and guitar).
You're exceeding your standards.

Guenter
Posted By: dani48 Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/01/14 11:02 PM
Hi, Alec !:))

Enjoying winter you mean ?
We should be in the middle
of our warmest period and the
temp is around 13 degrees C ? (LOL)!
In any case, I loved this tune
and especially your guitar work !
Superb as always !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/02/14 02:52 AM
Never heard of Horace but I love this!! I am a huge fan of Wayne Shorter from what I have heard (Steely Dan, Don Henley, Joni Mitchell)-the guy just makes the instrument cry, or talk. This is a very cool piece. Thanks for sharing!! Take care. Greg

BTW, killer guitar work, as usual!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/02/14 01:47 PM
One of your best, Dean!

Very enjoyable listen. Terrific playing...

floyd
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/02/14 10:11 PM
Great playing Dean and a fine tribute. I remember him from a jazz doc that we watched -- don't remember which one. Glad to see you back -- albeit, I suppose, briefly.

J/B
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/03/14 02:08 AM
Nice guitar and arrangement. In college we got our Horace Silver introduction learning to improvise over "song for My Father". Thanks for sharing the wonderful tribute. -Patrick
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/03/14 02:43 AM
Hi Dean, good to hear you back, as usual great tune and performance. Yes a shame his passing but he had been in a delicate shape lately. A staple for the Blue Note label and yet, not a widely known musician, although a good one. One of my favorite tunes is "Song for my father".

Welcome back

Mike B.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/03/14 05:01 AM
Enjoyed the typical big band sound and the flowing boppy guitar. Great arraingment. Cheers.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/05/14 01:11 AM
Dean,

+1 to what's already been said. Great stuff.

BTW, what are you using for those horns?

Josie
Posted By: aleck rand Re: Horace Silver (1928-2014) LIVES ! - 07/08/14 01:42 AM
Hi nice people of da Forum!

Josie: You asked what I was using for horns. That would be Joe Sarno trumpet, Carl Gault tenor sax, and Ron Brown trombone. My arrangement.

Dani: We must be both under the same climate zone. I live 4.5 miles from the Atlantic ocean and the water is still so cold that our high temperature so far has been 77 degrees (F). The only positive feature I can think of is that our hurricanes use hot water for energy - meaning that they can't get too far - north, that is.

Floyd, Mike and the gang: Unfortunately the above comments don't apply to you guys. But thanks for your positive comment on Nutville.

Mike - you were right about Horace's health. Alzheimer's. I did like your Horace tribute. Nice changes, good concept.

To Janice and Bud, Mario, Guenter, Nobilis, Greg and RichMac I want to extend a most grateful Thank You. Those hearing the music of Horace Silver for the first time justifies the effort.

OK, back to my "sabbatical." Maybe they'll decide not to cancel summer after all.

Dean
© PG Music Forums