PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 04:16 AM
Hello PG music community. This is a song that came right out of the box. I called up the 12/8 Rock Ballad Style with Jazz Ballad Piano, and this song was born. The first line just popped into my head. I used the tonic chord and maybe the second one. I wrote the music very quickly using only the instruments in this set. I later came up with the concept of the song, which I subsequently realized paralleled that of a great song called "The other side of life" by David Gates (use title and "Bread" on youtube if you'd like to check it out, which I highly recommend). David's song is certainly more beautiful and eloquent (so please listen to mine first). Interestingly, he wrote it when his kids were about 10 (I have 2 kids-11 and 9). On an unrelated subject, but being seasonal, I posted a link to another youtube song but it was removed, apparently for not being an original, but if you like James Taylor, you should check out "The Fourth of July" on youtube, another spectacular song. Oh, and the one real track I added to the set was #493 Jazz Ballad Trombone. I will try to post lyrics tomorrow. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/holdon
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 04:55 AM
Hi Greg. Very good write and performance. I enjoyed the song.

Charlie
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 12:02 PM
Excellent song Greg, and I love the vocal delivery, sincere and passionate. The engineering is top notch, well EQ'd. A great listen.

John
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 01:19 PM
Cool song excellent singing
Posted By: RnAM Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 04:29 PM
Hello Greg,

We think this is your best song so far!
Very nice and relaxing 70's/80's feel.
Oh yes, we definitely are big David Gates/Bread fans.
Keep up the good work,
R & AM
Posted By: boehm Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 04:41 PM
Hi Greg,

great song! And great vocals.
Very good mix.
An enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 04:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words, and congrats on the soccer victory-final 4!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichMac Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 09:47 PM
Nice cruizy ballad. Trombone fits extremely well. Cheers.
Posted By: dani48 Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/06/14 09:54 PM
Hi, Greg !:))

This is a really good tune
with a rhytm and chord progression
I like a lot !:))

Your vocal is great too !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/07/14 03:13 PM
Greg,

What a truly beautiful performance!

Your vocal on this is captivating from the very first note to the last.

"don't write the poetry of your life.. with just... any ol' rhyme.."

Beautiful song. A solid write.

The trombone solos were perfect.

A delightful listen (several, actually).

I found the brush/snare on the verses VERY distracting. I thought it should be a very lazy, jazzy feel and it was a constant staccato thing that took my ear away from the lyric (listening on phones)...

(except for the snare...) I loved it!

floyd

--- enjoyed hearing Bread, so thanks for that suggestion - haven't heard them for so very long - and was not familiar with that song...
I did, however, enjoy your song as much (or more)...
Posted By: dcuny Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/07/14 03:45 PM
Smooth and mellow - the vocals and arrangement are excellent.

My only nit is the guitar, for the same reason floyd had about the snare. But that just shows that you can't make everyone happy, no matter how great a job you do. wink
Posted By: Sundance Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/08/14 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Greg,

great song! And great vocals.
Very good mix.
An enjoyable listen.

Guenter

+1 Beautiful.

Josie
Posted By: gruverider Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/08/14 10:15 AM
digging your vocal and lyrics! It sounds so smooth and easy, so very good!

super write!

much enjoyed!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/08/14 10:51 AM
Nothing unusual here from you Greg. Typical excellence. Very tasty, and just what we have come to expect when you post. Thanks again
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/08/14 12:55 PM
Greg, Your usual standout vocal, just beautifully sung. Nice strong write. A great laid back feel. I agree with David about the guitar. The chop is a good idea but it sounds too midi to my ears. I enjoy all the things you post and always look forward to your next one. Very good mix. Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/08/14 03:25 PM
Hi Greg.

Very, very, smooth and professional throughout.

Loved the vocal which was beautifully delivered and extremely sincere.

The trombone was a superb addition and I particularly like the way you reduced the instrument count on the fade.

Great stuff.

ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/08/14 06:46 PM
Far and away one of the best use of a horn I've heard here
in a long time. The fine vocal is sitting right where it ougtha
be IMO. Laid back, loosey goosey, mellow -- choose the term
of your choice but the two of us really dig the groove. Add in
the top notch write and vocal and you've got another
stellar production. Bravo!

J&B
Posted By: PatrickH Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/09/14 11:25 AM
Nice tune. Glad I found it this morning to start out my day properly. Quite enjoyable. Sounds great thru the smartphone too. Patrick
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/10/14 02:33 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement Charlie, John, and Scott. Really appreciate you listening and taking time to reply. It means a lot to me. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/10/14 02:35 AM
THanks Guenter, Richard, and Dani. I always enjoy hearing from you (words and music). Much appreciated. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/10/14 02:37 AM
Thanks Rob and Anne-marie! Was Bread big in the Netherlands? I grew up listening to them and David Gates remains one of my all time favorite songwriters! Thanks for the kind words. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/10/14 02:40 AM
Floyd and David, thanks for the good words. I just used the arrangement as is but I probably should rethink those instruments or at least tame them a bit. I'm glad you enjoyed the Bread song Floyd, and being considered in their league is one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. Thanks again and take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/10/14 02:43 AM
THanks Josie, Lawrence, and Trevor. It really means a lot to hear from you. This forum is pretty much my musical family as I only have a few friends (and family members) who are interested in hearing what I'm doing. Really appreciate your time and kind words. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/10/14 02:49 AM
Thanks Tom, I think you're right about the guitar. My next post will probably be my new blues tune which was inspired by the cool things you've been doing with blues. Very, very cool!! Rog, and J and B, thanks for the kind words. I really loved the way the trombone fit. Sometimes BIAB is really like having your own custom player sitting in. The program still blows me away sometimes! Thanks Patrick, saying I kicked off your day well makes mine! Thanks again and Take care. Greg
Posted By: gibson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/11/14 04:22 AM
Greg,

I can add nothing to what has already been said.
Your vocal delivery was, as others have said, impeccable.
A great listen.

Alyn
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/11/14 05:49 AM
Hi Greg
I havent had much time to listen lately but I am glad I didn't miss this one. I enjoyed it very much. I agree with what has been said about the horns.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/13/14 05:37 PM
Alyn and Josie C, Thanks so much for taking time to listen and for your kind words. Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/14/14 08:08 AM
Hi Greg,

Great listening doesn't get too much (if any) better this. As others before me have noted, everything about this song sits snugly with one another and produces a top class over all mix.

I commend you on your lyrics, too - clever and skilful all the way. I particularly liked the way you used rhyme to drive the listen along.

I'm going back for another listen now!
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: Hold on Tight - 07/19/14 02:43 AM
Thanks again Noel. Much appreciated!! It means a lot to me. Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums