PG Music Home
Posted By: Adrian Believe - 07/07/14 11:17 AM
Ok its been a while in the making due to personal circumstances but I have now finished work on 11 new tracks and am in the mixing mastering stage.

This time around I wanted to use Band in A Box to see what I could get out of it and do things differently to my normal way of working.

As you may know I am a sax player but haven't played for the past 3 years properly and my playing is now somewhat low par, so i have been messing around with wind controllers of late. But this time I wanted to make a proper smooth jazz sax lead album and the synth saxes even the Sax brothers were not cutting it for me. So i decided to try something a little different.

Work flow was thus:

I created the chord structure in ez-keys to get the basis of the song outlined, I then exported to midi file and pulled that into BIAB. I had in mind the style of the song so auditioned a few styles till I found what I was looking for - I didn't want typical smooth jazz as wanted the song to be more rock based.

After getting the style tweaked I set about "creating" the sax melody. This was created by using the real track sax soloists and creating multiple takes of the solo (sometimes 12-15). The remaining real tracks and solo takes was exported as wav files and brought into Logic ProX.

Inside Logic I kept the real drums but added on top the great drummer track feature from logic and mixed the two together to get a more powerful and interesting drum sound. the solo tracks where staked and I made a composite track from parts of each take duplicating shifting an clipping to make a more melody than solo feel.

Track was then mixed, in logic mastered in ozone as I would normally.

And here are the results of the first finished track: Believe

The remaining 10 tracks are created in the same way and whilst its a time consuming business I am happy with the results.

So to sum up this is a complete band in a box track, using no "real live" instruments.

Thanks
Adrian
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Believe - 07/07/14 01:43 PM
Very good job. This is an excellent mix and choice of style and instruments. That it is all BIAB is icing on the cake and is inspiring to know the high quality and capability of the program. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Believe - 07/07/14 02:22 PM
Adrian - well done, indeed. excellent mix. you pulled the sax solo together in a very natural feeling way.

An enjoyable listen. - floyd
Posted By: boehm Re: Believe - 07/07/14 04:23 PM
Hi Adrian,

melting these sax solos from different versions
is really well done.
Also like the changes.

Guenter
Posted By: Sundance Re: Believe - 07/08/14 04:27 AM
Hi Adrian,

Some beautiful progressions and solos in this. Smooth with a little edge. I liked it a lot.

Josie
Posted By: Adrian Re: Believe - 07/08/14 10:41 AM
Thanks for the listens and comments, its great to get feedback.

Josie glad you liked it and you are spot on that was the feel I wanted to go in Smooth Jazz but with a rockier edge Smooth Rock Jazz!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Believe - 07/09/14 02:36 AM
Outstanding work; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Believe - 07/09/14 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Hi Adrian,

Some beautiful progressions and solos in this. Smooth with a little edge. I liked it a lot.

Josie

I agree 100%

Great mix!

I would not call your sax playing low par by any measure!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Believe - 07/10/14 02:56 AM
I think this is excellent!! Remarkably natural feel and very pleasant music. I'll have to check out more from the CD! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: Believe - 07/10/14 11:49 AM
Hi, Adrian !:))

I like your tune really much !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Adrian Re: Believe - 07/10/14 03:33 PM
Thanks for the listens everybody and comments its nice to know I am going in the right direction.

Greg, CD is all arranged and is currentey being mixed and mastered I expect to have it full finalised mid to end of August I will post a link to the full album once finished etc.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Believe - 07/10/14 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Hi Adrian,

Josie

I agree 100%

Great mix!

I would not call your sax playing low par by any measure!

Thanks for the nice comments, the sax solos are not me playing they are Band in a box solos that I took mutiple takes of and spliced, chopped, copied, arranged to form melody lines rather than solo lines.

Wish my playing was half up to this standard!

Maybe one day I will get back to this standard.
Posted By: gibson Re: Believe - 07/11/14 04:04 AM
Smooth sound.
I would like to know what RTs you used for the guitar solos.
That saying the sax is solo is well constructed.

Alyn
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Believe - 07/11/14 05:59 AM
Hi Adrian. This is nice and relaxing. Well done.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Believe - 07/11/14 08:23 AM
Fantastic job Adrian. Sax sounds live and enjoyed the guitar. What a lot of work but very interesting result. Cheers.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Believe - 07/11/14 10:01 PM
Adrian, I enjoyed the listen very much. nice job on the editing and mix. Tom
Posted By: Adrian Re: Believe - 07/13/14 08:12 AM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Smooth sound.
I would like to know what RTs you used for the guitar solos.
That saying the sax is solo is well constructed.

Alyn

Ok here is the info for the track from BIAB that was used to form the song:

Style is _POPOSLO.STY (Slow Pop Ballad w Organ (65 RS))

RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealTracks in style: ~368:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1542:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1058:Sax, Alto, Soloist SmoothJazzPoppy Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 1540:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The Guitar solo like the sax solo was a composite of multiple takes

Thanks
Adrian
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Believe - 07/13/14 02:46 PM
Nice sounding stuff.

I saw your post on copyright and decided to see what you were talking about.

Nice sounding stuff. Guitar has sweet tone.

2:32 the notes are kinda off a bit.... I'd use a pitch corrector on a few of them.
© PG Music Forums