PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud SWING DOWN - 07/10/14 10:18 PM
SWING DOWN

The origins of Swing Down are unknown. The earliest version that I’ve found simply listed it as traditional. I strongly suspect that it originated as an African-America spiritual. The Golden Gate Quartet recorded it in the 1940’s, the Blackwood Brothers in the 1950’s and Elvis in the 1960’s. The song is fully documented as being in the public domain.

I’ve wanted to do a bluegrass version for many years and finally got to it. Although we start the song with an a cappella line from Swing Low Sweet Chariot, it is not the same song. This one rocks!

The song ended up at 16 tracks and multiple diced/spliced generations of the solo instruments so I was VERY happy when floyd jane took on the mixing of the vocals and the final mastering leaving me with the instrumental tracks. I love RT’s and when working in a genre, i.e., bluegrass, for which I am very familiar I’ll often end up with one track being a composite of 5-7 originals. I came close to playing bass on this one but finally got the right compression on the RT to balance it out. We've been off in blues/rock/western swing land for a while and getting back to bluegrass was interesting -- really different approach to the mixing. I love it all!

A bit time shoutout to floyd for the harmonies and the vocal mix and advice on the whole project.

Hey Dani, you sing bass?

Thanks for taking your time to listen to some traditional bluegrass and we appreciate comments.

Janice: lead/harmony vocals and vocal arrangement
floyd: Harmony vocals (four), vocal mix, effects and final project mastering
Bud: RT arrangements, effects and mixing.

All RT’s are from the bluegrass sets

Bass: Composite of 592
Guitar Rhythm: 598
Guitar Solo: Composite of 597
Mandolin Rhythm: 599
Mandolin Solo: 820
Banjo Rhythm: Composite of 589
Banjo Solo: Composite of 591
Fiddle Rhythm: 594
Fiddle Solo: Composite of 596
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: SWING DOWN - 07/10/14 11:35 PM
Wow, that was fun!! Very cool and different rendition. Reminds me of when James Taylor and Carly Simon morphed Mockingbird into a totally different vibe. Very good work! Thanks for sharing. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 01:38 AM
This song's rocking beat was really popular with the southern Gospel quartets at dinner on the ground all day sings when I was a kid. And Elvis' record of it - my big sister and I wore that album out. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

I really enjoyed everything about your bluegrass version.

Got my feet tapping.

Loved it.

Josie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 03:28 AM
That is bluegrass as it should be done. Enjoyed the performance and appreciate the talent displayed in both the performance and production technique.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 04:16 AM
Janice, Bud, and Floyd,

I know <cough> slightly different words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot from my College days and I have to say I have never heard such a foot tapping version.

And I know what you mean about Dani on bass....that would be interesting!

Excellent

Alyn
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 05:55 AM
Really lovely. Before I got BIAB I was never a fan of bluegrass but this amazing product and this wonderful forum full of folk like you has opened my ears to a whole different side of music. And I love it. Thank you!
Posted By: RichMac Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 08:34 AM
A great job by Janice Bud and Floyd. A reminder of the 40's and gospel on the radio. Love acapella from that era. Cheers.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 12:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Wow, that was fun!! Very cool and different rendition. Reminds me of when James Taylor and Carly Simon morphed Mockingbird into a totally different vibe. Very good work! Thanks for sharing. Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg...we're not really breaking new ground here. Bluegrass has a long tradition of taking songs from other genres and making them their own. And southern gospel and bluegrass have a pretty common song list. We appreciate the comments and glad you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Sundance
This song's rocking beat was really popular with the southern Gospel quartets at dinner on the ground all day sings when I was a kid. And Elvis' record of it - my big sister and I wore that album out. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

I really enjoyed everything about your bluegrass version.

Got my feet tapping.

Loved it.

Josie

Thanks Josie!! It's very cool to learn that you've listened to this song in the southern gospel permutations. The Blackwood Brothers really rocked it. And if you get a chance check out the Gold Gate Quartet's version on YouTube. Glad you enjoyed it. We had fun putting it together.
Posted By: boehm Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 04:42 PM
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

what a great collaboration! It really rocks.
And the ending knocks me off the chair.
Good idea to get Dani on bass. Next song, maybe?

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
That is bluegrass as it should be done. Enjoyed the performance and appreciate the talent displayed in both the performance and production technique.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! The hardest part for me with a BG production is getting the transitions re split solos. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Bud, and Floyd,

I know <cough> slightly different words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot from my College days and I have to say I have never heard such a foot tapping version.

And I know what you mean about Dani on bass....that would be interesting!

Excellent

Alyn

Thanks Alyn...now you got my imagination running wild...well not too wild as even though it was during the 60's I remember the college years!
Posted By: MarioD Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 09:03 PM
It's all been said so all that I can add is this is outstanding!

You did a great job on the instrumentation and the vocals are top notch all the way.

great job!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Really lovely. Before I got BIAB I was never a fan of bluegrass but this amazing product and this wonderful forum full of folk like you has opened my ears to a whole different side of music. And I love it. Thank you!

Cool. Really glad you liked it!!
Bluegrass is just folk music in overdrive!
Posted By: tommyad Re: SWING DOWN - 07/11/14 11:38 PM
B & J& floyd, There is a lot to like here. Janice=great vocal and harmonies. Bud = great arrangement and mix. Also terrific editing on the solos. That can be very time consuming. floyd=great bg vocals and mix. Mastering is nice and clean. The banjo sounds especially good here. It is always the loudest in the band. Ain't that right Bud? The ending is fantastic. A super job again by the three of you. Tom
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: SWING DOWN - 07/12/14 12:50 AM
I love Elvis' version of this, he has some competition now, very superbly done in all areas' thanks for sharing!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: SWING DOWN - 07/12/14 02:38 AM
Wow!But then again, with these three names in the song nothing but a masterpiece is expected, and it sure is!

Mike B.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/12/14 12:03 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
A great job by Janice Bud and Floyd. A reminder of the 40's and gospel on the radio. Love acapella from that era. Cheers.

Thanks! Yep, that was some great music from that period.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

what a great collaboration! It really rocks.
And the ending knocks me off the chair.
Good idea to get Dani on bass. Next song, maybe?

Guenter

Thanks Guenter! The stop and a cappella at the end sort of evolved toward the end of the arrangement. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: PatrickH Re: SWING DOWN - 07/12/14 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
B & J& floyd, There is a lot to like here. Janice=great vocal and harmonies. Bud = great arrangement and mix. Also terrific editing on the solos. That can be very time consuming. floyd=great bg vocals and mix. Mastering is nice and clean. The banjo sounds especially good here. It is always the loudest in the band. Ain't that right Bud? The ending is fantastic. A super job again by the three of you. Tom

I will +1 Tom's comment and add a big Amen!
Posted By: dani48 Re: SWING DOWN - 07/12/14 11:40 PM
Hi, Bud & Janice & Floyd !!:))

I really dig what you´ve
all done here !:))
To say it shortly: Terrific !!!

and....yes I am a II bass !:))

Cheers
Dani

PS: I like gospel music and
I hoped I could do Oh Happy Day
together with some others who also
like it but, the song is in fact
copyrighted ! (sic!)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/13/14 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
It's all been said so all that I can add is this is outstanding!

You did a great job on the instrumentation and the vocals are top notch all the way.

great job!

Thanks! We appreciate you noting the instruments and the vocals.

Thanks Tom! Yep those solos were tedious and, yep, the banjo and mando chop have to carry the rhythm on an up temp BG tune like this. Thanks for noting the vocals. Floyd and Janice did good on them.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: SWING DOWN - 07/13/14 08:05 PM
Janice and Bud...

Thank you for letting me be a part of this.

I am so dang proud to call you both "friend". I love doing music with you guys! It is always interesting, fun and professional in every way.

Y'all are the best!

floyd
Posted By: gruverider Re: SWING DOWN - 07/14/14 10:23 PM
Wow! what could I add? I just love it! From start to finish, wonderful!

Wait, let me check it out again just to be sure ... wink
Posted By: Noel96 Re: SWING DOWN - 07/15/14 07:03 AM
Janice, Bud and floyd,

What a great version of a time-honoured classic! As I listened, all I could think was "Incredibly creative, incredibly performed and mixed to perfection."

Where do I sign up to your fan club?

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Skyline Re: SWING DOWN - 07/15/14 10:25 AM
What a great version. First class job to all concerned.
Beautifully engineered as well. I love it.

John
Posted By: RnAM Re: SWING DOWN - 07/15/14 04:51 PM
Yes, much enjoyed! Real bluegrass and very nice vocal harmonies. We will check out those bluegrass real tracks.
I've said it before, but I really like your website template, a very nice country touch in it.

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: SWING DOWN - 07/15/14 07:25 PM
Cool version and mashup.

I thought that Swing Low was an old negro spiritual from the 1700's or there abouts..... but what do I know.

Yeah that was fun. Back in the day in a band we did an akapella version of that song that was absolutely blasphemous...... I shall not elaborate on that at all.......

Your version ROCKS.... in a bluegrass sort of way.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/16/14 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
I love Elvis' version of this, he has some competition now, very superbly done in all areas' thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Yep, Elvis lead us back to the Blackwood Bros who lead us back to the Golden Gate Quartet where it all started.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Wow!But then again, with these three names in the song nothing but a masterpiece is expected, and it sure is!

Mike B.

Thanks Mike -- it was fun!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud & Janice & Floyd !!:))

I really dig what you´ve
all done here !:))
To say it shortly: Terrific !!!
and....yes I am a II bass !:))
Cheers
Dani
PS: I like gospel music and
I hoped I could do Oh Happy Day
together with some others who also
like it but, the song is in fact
copyrighted ! (sic!)

Thank you Dani -- we'll have to do a quartet some time!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice and Bud...

Thank you for letting me be a part of this.

I am so dang proud to call you both "friend". I love doing music with you guys! It is always interesting, fun and professional in every way.

Y'all are the best!

floyd

Thanks a bunch Mr jane -- having you participate is very special indeed!

Originally Posted By: nobilis

I will +1 Tom's comment and add a big Amen!

Thanks and glad it worked for you!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/19/14 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wow! what could I add? I just love it! From start to finish, wonderful!

Wait, let me check it out again just to be sure ... wink

Thanks! We always worry that folks will have to visit a support group after hearing our bluegrass!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice, Bud and floyd,

What a great version of a time-honoured classic! As I listened, all I could think was "Incredibly creative, incredibly performed and mixed to perfection."

Where do I sign up to your fan club?

All the best,
Noel

Thank you so much Noel. We really appreciate you commenting!!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Skyline
What a great version. First class job to all concerned.
Beautifully engineered as well. I love it.

John

Thanks John, I thought floyd and Bud did a great job with the engineering!

Janice

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Yes, much enjoyed! Real bluegrass and very nice vocal harmonies. We will check out those bluegrass real tracks.
I've said it before, but I really like your website template, a very nice country touch in it.

Regards,
Rob

Thanks you two and cool that you like the website. The hardest part of putting it together was getting the scanned map image to work.

Bud

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool version and mashup.

I thought that Swing Low was an old negro spiritual from the 1700's or there abouts..... but what do I know.

Yeah that was fun. Back in the day in a band we did an akapella version of that song that was absolutely blasphemous...... I shall not elaborate on that at all.......

Your version ROCKS.... in a bluegrass sort of way.

Thanks Herb, glad you heard the rockin' aspects of it. And thanks for not elaborating on the other version :-)
Posted By: Al-David Re: SWING DOWN - 07/24/14 03:06 AM
Hi J & B and Floyd ...

Our feet are still tapping ...can't get then to stop! Maybe it's because we're dang near 70 years old and our "Stop Button" is worn out! But, rather, we think it's the infectious melody and rhythm that keeps playing in our heads.

What a great song, performance and arrangement. All the parts work perfectly .. well oiled, finely tuned and running on all cylinders.

We have just one small thing that caught our ear as we listened. When the acoustic lead guitar comes in, it's a wee bit soft in the mix. it could probably be brought more to the front. other than that, not a danged thing to complain about. It was a fun ride ..thanks for the ticket! Best to all of you!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: SWING DOWN - 07/28/14 11:54 AM
Back for another listen. Hope double-dipping is permitted!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: SWING DOWN - 07/28/14 03:42 PM
Hey Y'all, glad it was worth a return trip. Thanks!!

Janice
© PG Music Forums