PG Music Home
Beautiful Scars on Youtube

Here is a song that was written with Cheryl Teal. I had a set of lyrics that I wrote in about May this year that I just couldn't seem to put music to. I sent them to Cheryl and she came up with the music.

The song is about growing up in Zimbabwe in that war and how in that war and how everything that happens in your life adds to what ends up as YOU. And each of us are made up of millions of beautiful scars.

Realtracks are:
RealTracks in song: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RT887:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment FolkPopPrairie Ev
RT2334:String Quartet, Rhythm PopChamber Ev 085
RT1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085

Lead vocal is me and harmonies are Cheryl and some BIABettes

Lyrics are:
Born in '64 'neath the shadow of a war
Fear was written on my page
Silent spaces silent prayer waiting for the news
the names of the
unlucky few

Beautiful scars and Jagged imperfections
Hidden down in the pocket
of a coat I don't wear
Beautiful scars and Careful redirection
Covered over in colours
A sketch no longer there
Covered over in colours
A sketch no longer there

My past with tales Retold stacked wooden Russian dolls
I know if I take a look
Pressed in a dust poetry book
Show up in print I am
a frame I'm living in

of a coat I don't wear
Covered over in colours
A sketch no longer there
Covered over in colours
A sketch no longer there

Through the chaos and tears
hands reach across the years
Never knowing whats in store
It's not finished yet
There's nothing to regret
And there will be a thousand more

of a coat I don't wear
Covered over in colours
A sketch no longer there
Covered over in colours
A sketch no longer there

Another really nicely done collaboration!! Really well done. Like the arrangement and the strings. You two make a great team! Take care. Greg
Great collab, nicely written and performed; thanks for sharing!
Great lyric. Wonderful performance. Thanks for sharing.
SD
Hi, Jo & Cheryl !:))

This is a very beautiful production
all through ! I liked everything
about it but most of all the
harmony singing parts !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Joanne, Another fine collab. Nice arrangement and production. Good vocal and harmonies. The mix sounds good. Tom
Hello Joanne,

that's another fine song, with very cool harmony vocals!

Regards,
R & AM
hi josiec great vocal nice colab guys enjoyed very much thanks eric
Beautiful song. Love the lyrics specially 'I'm a frame I'm living in'. Very nice vibrato in your voice and the backing and harmony offer just the right support. Love this one. Cheers.
Enjoyed the song. The harmonies are well done on this and Cheryl did a good job writing the music. Very beautiful song.

Regards,

Charlie
Astounding.
You two are a wonderful team. And then the harmonies...marvelous!

My mother in law's sister was caught up in that war, she would have loved to have heard that song before she passed.

hats of to both of you

Alyn
There's a Joan Baez / Janis Ian quality to your voice that is hauntingly perfect for this song... incredible.
Greg, Robert, SD, Dani, Tommy, Rob and Anne-Marie, Eric, Rich, Charlie, Alyn and Don. Thank you all so much. I loved this collaboration and hope to have many more.

I never fail to be amazed with all the wonderful comments and support from the incredible people on this forum.
Hi Josie,

it's all been said. Another great collaboration.
I especially like the good vocals and harmonies.
My regards to Cheryl.

Guenter
Joanne/Cheryl,

Nice. A good write from both sides. Solid production and mix.

Well done.

floyd
Hi Joanne & Cheryl...

A very nice collab. Poignant,as it should be. Nicely written and produced. Great selection of BIAB tracks. We really enjoyed our listen. Wishing both of y ou well,

Alan & DI
Simply superb! Wonderful lyrics and arrangement! Full and well mixed. The vocals and harmonies are delightful.

Great song!
Guenter, Floyd, Al and Lawrence. Thank you all so much for your comments. I am so glad you liked it.

I suppose the song ought to be poignant since it is about growing up in that war that cost so many people their young sons. The boys (including my brother) were called up to do national service straight out of school. 17 years old, still wet behind the ears and had to witness such atrocities. I guess I was lucky to be female. I shudder to think what those people are going through in the Middle East. There are adults that have only known about living in a war.

Cheryl is quite amazing at putting the music to lyrics. It is an area I really struggle with. I get stuck on a particular song that influenced me in the lyrics and can’t seem to get it out of my head. So it is nice to pass the lyrics onto somebody who doesn’t know what song I was thinking of when I wrote the lyrics.
Its all been said and we agree with it all....We'll only add that listening to and watching this reminded us of how thankful we are to live in relative peace. It's so sad that millions upon millions due to no fault of their own will never experience it.

Wonderful song.
Hi Josie,

I'm a bit late getting to this one. I listened to it a couple of weeks ago but didn't have time to leave a comment. Then it slipped past me! Arrgh!

Thankfully I made it back it time.

I have to compliment you and Cheryl on a very solid write. I love the melody and the way it captures the essence of the lyrics. Great production, too.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I enjoyed the vocals and harmonies, too.
I am glad Noel commented, bumping this up the list. I had missed it the first go around. Great write and execution. Great collaboration between the two of you. Thanks so much for posting.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Its all been said and we agree with it all....We'll only add that listening to and watching this reminded us of how thankful we are to live in relative peace. It's so sad that millions upon millions due to no fault of their own will never experience it.

Wonderful song.

I agree Bud.
Hi Noel and Patrick.
Thanks so much for the kind comments. I posted the video on a "Rhodesians Worldwide" facebook page and it got quite a lot of good attention. The old Rhodesians are a very sentimental bunch.
© PG Music Forums