PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle First Times - Revised and updated - 07/26/14 07:02 AM
https://soundcloud.com/charlie-fogle/first-times-revised

Here is First Times with many of the suggestions made by forum members applied. Hope you enjoy.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/26/14 03:37 PM
Charlie,

A terrific transformation. The beginning sounds so much more intimate now (as it should). Excellent mix. The production does a great job of showing off the lyric - exactly what it should do in this type song.

Well done.

floyd
Posted By: Al-David Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/26/14 06:48 PM
Hi Charlie,

Ah...so much nicer! We agree with Floyd about the new opening ... fantastic redo! You done a wonderful job of retooling this. Congrats on on the improvements. As my grandpa would have said, "Ya done good."

Best to you,

Alan & Di
Posted By: tommyad Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/26/14 08:56 PM
Charlie, this sounds much better. I applaud your ability to take all those suggestions and implement them. They worked. Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 04:30 AM
Bravo!!! Wonderful job! Much more lyric centric. Glad to hear the revision. It's a pleasure to come here and share with people chasing the muse.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 05:23 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for listening and commenting on the revision. A good portion of suggestions made it into the revision and I think it is much improved over the first draft I posted. I really appreciate all of the input that was graciously shared here on the forum. I was also amazed at the number of views the thread received in just four days.

I checked earlier this evening and saw that reaction seems to be positive on this version so I have emailed a mp3 of it to Rudy tonight. Crossed my fingers but I think he will enjoy it.

Many thanks,

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 05:27 AM
Charlie,
As the others have said BRILLIANT transformation

Alyn
Posted By: RichMac Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 06:38 AM
Love it all Charlie! Nice harmonies too. Cheers.
Posted By: dani48 Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 07:15 AM
Hi, Charlie !

I liked this version too, somehow it sounded
much lighter to me ! Maybe you brought in
lighter instrumentation ? Great job Charlie !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 11:59 AM
Thanks Floyd. The intro really sets the tone for the whole song. I liked adding the piano too. I never found an electric guitar that seemed to fit and another guitar seemed to make the song sound too busy if that makes sense.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 12:40 PM
Alan & Di, glad you liked the changes. I sure do. I appreciate your suggestion to eliminate the redundancy in the first line. The change helped tighten things up.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 12:41 PM
Tommyad, my wife gets all the credit for teaching me how to follow instructions. Thanks for commenting.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 12:45 PM
Gruverider. Thanks for posting. The intro change makes a significant difference to the mood of the song over the strumming guitars in the draft version. Glad you like the changes.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 12:46 PM
Gibson and RichMac. Thanks for listening. I appreciate your comments.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 12:49 PM
Hi Dani and thanks for posting. I agree that this version seems to have a lighter feel than the draft version. Several things seem to contribute to the change in feel starting with the finger pick guitar opening and adding the piano to the chorus of the song. I also slightly increased the tempo and that seemed to help too.

Charlie
Posted By: MarioD Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 03:26 PM
What you have done to this song has taken it over the top for me.

This is fantastic!

Keep up the excellent work.

Ps - I really liked the intro and the violin solo!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/27/14 10:36 PM
I think it works great! A nice mix and flow throughout! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 01:47 AM
Thanks MarioD. I enjoyed working on this project and learned a bit on the journey. Glad you enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 01:48 AM
Thanks for taking time to listen and comment Greg. I appreciate it.

Charlie
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 06:01 AM
Hi Charlie
I enjoyed this. It took me back a few years. Good job!
Posted By: boehm Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 04:02 PM
Hi Charlie,

I'm glad to hear the revision.
Very enjoyable.

Guenter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 04:05 PM
Hi Joanne, thanks for listening. Yea, this song was already retro when it was written back 12 years or so. I have been enjoying your recent collaborations with Cheryl. You guys mix together fabulously.

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 04:08 PM
Thanks Guenter for commenting. I'm glad you liked the changes. It was a fun project and I received some really great critiques and suggestions that hopefully I can retain long enough to use them to make my future projects better.

Charlie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 04:17 PM
Nailed!!!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: First Times - Revised and updated - 07/28/14 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nailed!!!

Janice and Bud, thanks very much.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums