PG Music Home
Posted By: plish You Were Never Mine - 07/26/14 05:14 PM
Did this tune a few years back. It's almost all in Band In a Box/RealBand. The piano solo was pieced in from another BitB song. I used ACID for that.

I still intend to tweak the singing. Sorry, I don't remember the tracks, etc. It was all done on another computer that crashed so right now I don't even have the software. I'm looking to either replace or upgrade.

You Were Never Mine

Thanks for listening!
Posted By: Al-David Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/26/14 06:30 PM
Hi Michael,

Nice to "meet" you! We love this style of music. This is a real nice song and nicely performed. The mix is real good and the voice clear and crisp. We really liked the "Partners In Crime" line.

The only things that caught our ears that could possibly need a second look/listen are:

1. Perhaps brushes on the drums would set a little better with the style

2. The ending was a bit abrupt. One of the very few downsides of BIAB is the endings can be difficult and tricky. We've worked many hours on just the ending of some of our songs.

All in all, this was a very pleasant listen and we really liked the song. Thanks for the musical treat!

Alan & Di
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/26/14 06:44 PM
I think you did a good job on this, the vocals set well in the mix to my ears and it is well written song and performance. Good job, I enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/26/14 09:00 PM
Michael, nicely written. Very well sung. The mix sounds good. I enjoyed the listen. Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 01:09 AM
Hi Michael,

Although we are not really jazz lovers, this one is actually relaxing and nicely done.
Some advices on the vocal: it could use a little bit of reverb, furthermore some parts are a bit too loud compared to the rest, some normalizing could work.

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 01:17 AM
Very cool and clever!! This song has craft, like those written by Cole Porter, Gershwins, etc. Touching and creative! Great job! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RichMac Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 02:34 AM
Very nice. Delightful feel/atmosphere to the song. Found the vocal a bit quiet in places. Cheers.
Posted By: plish Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 03:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Alan and Di: Yup, totally agree on the brushes and ending. What really turned me off to BIAB, and why I left it voluntarily a while back, was the amount of work I had to do on endings. Appreciate the thoughts.

Charlie: Appreciate it!

Tom: Thanks for the listen!

R&AM: Thanks, will revisit and play with the vocals. I usually don't do tons of jazz (leaning more acoustic), but I appreciate it and like it. So this was a bit of new venture for me as well.

Greg: Appreciate the very kind words! I'm humbled.

RichMac: Thanks for the feedback!!

Thanks again everybody. I'm enjoying getting to know you all via your tunes!

~peace~
Posted By: floyd jane Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 04:01 AM
Michael,

Very enjoyable. A great change of pace for the forum.

A clever write. And a nice mix...

Look forward to more.

floyd
Posted By: plish Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 04:35 AM
Thanks much, Floyd! Appreciate it!
Posted By: gruverider Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 05:12 AM
The lyrics are delightful. I love the pairing of things that go together. Well written and works well with the musical style.

much enjoyed!
Posted By: gibson Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 05:33 AM
A smooth and enjoyable listen.
Welcome to the forum.

Alyn
Posted By: plish Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 07:12 AM
GruveRyder and Alyn, thanks for the welcome and the kind words!! Glad you dug it!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 08:08 AM
Hi Michael,

It's *applause* from me! The list nature of these lyrics is definitely reminiscent of the style of Cole Porter. I enjoyed the listen.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: dani48 Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 11:26 AM
Hi, Michael !:))

I like your song ! I like this kind
of rhytm and melodies that remind
me of Bacharach, my absolute favorite
composer! :))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 01:34 PM
Michael,

We noticed you told Rob & Marie that you don't do a lot of Jazz. Based on this piece, we think you ought do a little more! This was so nicely done! We really enjoyed our listen. This was our forst time to listen to you and we totally enjoyed the way work with this genre. Best to ya,

Alan & Di
Posted By: MarioD Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/27/14 03:15 PM
This is a super song with an outstanding vocal!

I liked your lyrics also.

I liked the drums as they are now. As was suggested I would add a little reverb to the song.
Posted By: plish Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/28/14 04:07 AM
Noel:Thanks for the kind words and reference to the great Cole Porter. You're too kind.

Dani: Thanks so much and am humbled by the Burt Bacharach reference.

Alan & Di: I've always liked jazz. It was only after hearing and then delving into Patricia Barber's music did I really see how jazz music can have lyrical play, not just 'jazz' musicality. But, I've always tried to write music that I can perform live. Since I'm primarily a guitar player who is playing solo now as opposed to playing in bands, I usually don't write band based jazz. However, I've relaxed that 'rule' and now have written many tunes that aren't playable live, per se. While I incorporate elements of jazz and blues in many of my tunes, ( This tune is a scat-esque style, and this one has the loungesque feel) "You Were Never Mine" and another tune (which I'll post soon) are the only two tunes that I used BIAB for and are more overtly jazzy. I do enjoy writing in this genre, so I will be writing more. I'm taking your words as a confirmation of sorts. smile

MarioD: Thanks for the kudos!!

Thanks again everyone for sharing your thoughts!!!
Posted By: boehm Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/28/14 03:57 PM
Hi Michael,

welcome to the showcase.
It's all been said.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: plish Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/29/14 07:18 AM
Thanks much Guenter! And thanks for the welcome!!

~peace~
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/29/14 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Michael,

Very enjoyable. A great change of pace for the forum.

A clever write. And a nice mix...

Look forward to more.

floyd

Plus 1 and welcome! Check around, you might find some interesting productions...
Posted By: plish Re: You Were Never Mine - 07/31/14 03:48 AM
Thanks Janice and Bud!!
Indeed have started listening and enjoying the great talent here!!

Best!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: After The Crash - 07/31/14 05:24 PM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to listen and comment on the challenge songs. Much appreciated! to answer the question if I have time to eat and sleep; eat yes, sleep, ha,ha!

#19 is a song I got the idea from, after reading someone's post on this site, can not recall who was talking about a computer crash, and since we just had a storm come through the other day, I just put the 2 together. You never know where inspiration will come from. All the instruments are Band in a Box.

I took a style that had 2 guitars and piano, I then added a pedal steel, fiddle and mandolin; here is the link to my profile the song is called "After The Crash"

My Profile
© PG Music Forums