PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 07/31/14 10:42 AM
My Old Friend on SoundCloud

My Old Friend on SoundCloud without RealDrums

Hi All

Well, Cheryl and I seem to be on a bit or a roll here so we’ll just keep going.

A good friend of mine asked if I would write her a song for her 50th birthday. She gave a speech at mine a couple of weeks ago and we have known each other for 25 years. We’ve done a lot of things together over the years. Everest base camp, skiing, rafting, canoeing, hiking, not to mention the odd hooli (commonly known as an “opskop” in South Africa). So I am going to be performing this song for her at her party which is on the 9th of August and am also going to be putting together a video with all my old photos for her.

Cheryl kindly composed the music and did the harmonies.

Tracks are
RealTracks in style: ~1136:Bass, Acoustic-Guitar, FolkSwing Sw 110
RealTracks in song: 1146:Fiddle, Background CountrySwing Sw 110 (Outside)
RealTracks in style: ~1142:Ukulele, Strumming FolkSwing Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~1141:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingCleanPicked Sw 110
RealDrums in style: NashvilleBrushesHillbillySwing: a: Sidestick, Brushesb: Brushes, Stick
Loop:Percussion Loops\Loop132bpm Tambourine Quarters 4 bars
Loop:Percussion Loops\LoopNAbpm Tambourine Shake.wma
RT610:Mandolin, Rhythm Chop Sw 120

Lyrics are:

My old friend
I thought of you today
Down by the river
Thinking what to say

My Old friend
The years all melt away
As I sing this song before you
And the sun shines through today

Chorus
When we are together
So easy and free
I want to sing the colours
That sit inside of me
Built upon the layers
Of kindness and of trust
Together in the silence
You and Me

Verse 2
My old friend
You know where we've been
We multiply the pleasures
While dividing up the pain

My Old friend
As time around us spins
You hold my life together
Like a frame around the wind

Repeat chorus

Bridge
I want to give you more
Than just this melody
To thank you for our journey
And letting me be

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome as I only need to perform it on the 9th August and have not yet made the video.

(Edited to add a version with no realdrums as per Alyn's suggestion)
Posted By: gibson Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 07/31/14 01:22 PM
JoiseC
That reminded me, at first listen of Peter, Paul and Mary but without Peter and Paul and with 2 Mary's!!

The uke fits perfectly for the song but I think that the RealDrums detract and the song would sound great, IMHO, with just the percussion loops or even no percussion.
Your voice is good , as always.

Alyn
Posted By: dani48 Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 07/31/14 04:05 PM
Hi, Josie & Cheryl !:))

This was so sweet and nice
brought good memories back
from the past and tears
to my eyes !:))

I liked it very much and
as you know, I have a flair
for those harmony vocals !!:))
Splendid job !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 07/31/14 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
JoiseC
The uke fits perfectly for the song but I think that the RealDrums detract and the song would sound great, IMHO, with just the percussion loops or even no percussion.
Your voice is good , as always.

Alyn

Hi Alyn. Thanks for the suggestion. I have uploaded a version without the Realdrums. I quite like it...
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 07/31/14 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Josie & Cheryl !:))

This was so sweet and nice
brought good memories back
from the past and tears
to my eyes !:))

I liked it very much and
as you know, I have a flair
for those harmony vocals !!:))
Splendid job !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani. Thanks so much. It did have a Dani-esque touch to it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/01/14 12:15 AM
Another winner from JoiseC! You have set a new standard for yourself as I think that this is one of your best to date!

I listened to both versions and the one sans the drums is the best IMHO.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/01/14 01:26 AM
Hi Josie, another beautiful, intimate song. You and Cheryl do make a great team. Vocals are stellar, as always and they set beautifully in the mix. I listened to both versions and personally preferred the song without drums. Good job and an enjoyable listen.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/01/14 06:02 AM
Hi Charlie and Mario
Thanks for giving both versions a listen! It certainly is interesting that the one with no drums is both your favourite. Cheryl is keeping an eye on this thread and sent me an email to say she likes the drums but that maybe she is just used to hearing them now.
Posted By: gibson Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/01/14 06:20 AM
JosieC

That sounds wonderful with no drums (sorry Cheryl :>))
It may be me but I can hear her harmonies much clearer now.
Both versions show that it is still a beautiful song tho' cool

Alyn
Posted By: boehm Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/01/14 04:39 PM
Hi Josie and Cheryl,

Cheryl needs a supporter: I like the drums version better.
Beautiful harmonies!
You are a perfect team.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/01/14 06:34 PM
We multiply the pleasures
While dividing up the pain

Really nice writing!! Very pretty and pleasant song, and the harmonies worked perfectly!! I agree the Uke fits great. You two make a great duo. Great work! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PatrickH Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/02/14 01:27 AM
I like both. I can hear it without drums at the front and then have them coming in later to get it rolling. Also you have some nice pauses and maybe you could get the drums to pause with you creating a nice "ahhhh" moment. That's about 4 cents worth (2 x 2 cents of backseat driving/producing smile ).

It is a wonderful song and I always look forward to your tunes and collaborations.
Posted By: George Ireton Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/02/14 02:34 AM
I like this kind of easy going music. The Uke is a cool thing. I will use that instrument on some upcoming song. I will throw in with others who prefer acoustic tunes minus drums. So nice that you have such a friend!
Posted By: Sundance Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/02/14 06:58 PM
Beautiful both ways, I like the one with the drums best.

Josie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/02/14 11:14 PM
Joanne,

Very nice job on this. A nice song. Good mix.
I would vote for the drum version, but I would make it be more brushes - without the stick - a little more subtle...

Y'all make a great team.

floyd
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/02/14 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Joanne,

Very nice job on this. A nice song. Good mix.
I would vote for the drum version, but I would make it be more brushes - without the stick - a little more subtle...

Y'all make a great team.

floyd

Your choice of instruments was very UKEnique. I first heard this wonderful collab on Josie's SJ performance earlier today and the Uke got my interest immediately. Isn't that the whole intent anyway? I dubbed you wonderful ladies as the "Everly Sisters" with the tight sibling harmonies even though you're not related. QED.

I'm anxious to hear your next collaboration. You wonderful ladies are "top shelf!"
Posted By: gruverider Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/03/14 07:02 AM
Wonderful! What a sweet song. Everything sounds perfect. I did not hear the version with drums but this version does not seem to be missing a thing.

If I may, I would suggest one thing for you to consider. In the chorus perhaps colors dance inside of you instead of sit? I think it suggests motion and dynamics.

Great song, you two are on a roll for sure!
Posted By: RnAM Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/03/14 12:05 PM
Hi Joanne and Cheryl,
That's another fine collaboration, very nice vocals and harmonies, which are very well balanced. We like the ukulele and mandolin RT's.
We like the "no drums" version best.
Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/03/14 12:09 PM
Hi Josie and Cheryl,

Wonderful work! I thoroughly enjoyed listening. Which version is better? I don't know. I'd have to toss a coin!

Also, when I read Lawrence's comment about "colours dance", I thought, "Yep, that works for me, too".

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/03/14 12:57 PM
We're fine with the drums. Floyd's idea of brushes would be neat. This is really sweet heartfelt tribute and we much enjoyed it. And, hey, Everest Base Camp? That is very cool. We have a couple of friends who've done that.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: My Old Friend with Cheryl teal - 08/07/14 08:45 AM
Hi Guenter. Thanks so much. In the final version I have panned Cheryl’s harmonies and that makes them stand out a bit more.

Hi Greg. Glad you liked the lines about multiplying the pleasures and dividing up the pain. I always write down interesting phrases that I notice on TV, radio or while reading and when I write a song I go back through those phrases and see what I can adapt for my song.

Patrick – Thanks for the suggestions. I now have the drums coming in on the first chorus.

George – The BIAB uke is an absolute treasure

Josie – Thanks for the comments.

Floyd – Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have just changed the drums to come in at the first chorus but otherwise left them as they are. You are certainly helping me to notice the different aspects of the drums (what I know about drums is dangerous!).

Don – Thank you so much for your ongoing support. I really appreciate it. Everly sisters. That is a great compliment! Hopefully we can carry on doing these sorts of collaborations. Beautiful Scars is really touching a lot of people around the world. I am going to perform it at a concert tonight. Very nervous!

Lawrence – Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have incorporated it into the final version.

Hi Rob and Anne Marie – Thanks so much for giving it a listen.

Noel – Thanks. Agree that is was a good change that Lawrence suggested.

Bub and Janice. I can honestly say that visiting Everest Base Camp was one of the highlights of my life (although I have blocked out the part about the ablutions!). I have always been fascinated by all the history and heroism of Everest and have read many books. I can highly recommend this trip. Landing in a light aircraft on the edge of a mountain in Lukla, while looking down on the wreckage of other light aircraft scattered on the mountain is a feeling I shall not forget.

I have done a video of the song. Dedicated to my friend, of 25 years, Sonja.
It is here

My Old Friend on Youtube
© PG Music Forums