PG Music Home
Posted By: George Ireton Brother Billy - 08/02/14 02:08 AM
Brother Billy
http://georgeireton.com/brother-billy
This is the second song I have posted on this forum. I will so much appreciate all critiques. I truly value your suggestions to make it a better song and mix. I know a bit about pickin' and singin'. Not so much about this stuff! Heh.

My big brother was a coal miner and a safety man. Years ago I visited him while attending a bluegrass music trade show in Louisville. He squired me around the county and introduced me to all his “old friends”. Some were quite colorful! There was one man they called “Rabbit”. He was an older gentleman who drove around town in a beat up pickup, but he had a brand new F-150 parked in the garage. Odd I thought. Rabbit was the retired secretary of the coal miner’s union. A very important person in the town. He seemed to like my brother. There were others who gave me insight into Billy’s life in those parts. He was clearly well respected.

Recently, I got word that Billy has been moved into a memory care center. He always managed to come out from under ground before, but this appears to be a different kind of cave-in. In the song, I ask “Where are you tonight brother Billy?… Are you way down in the mine?”, a reference to Alzheimer’s. Brother Billy
Posted By: dani48 Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 07:59 AM

Hi, George !

I am touched by your story and am so sorry for
the condition of your big brother ! Seems to me
most of us here on the forum are slowly moving towards fall
when it comes to our life span ! I hope they could
find a cure for an illness like that !
Now, regarding your tune and performance !
I simply have nothing but praise for your
tune and performance. I felt everything was in
the right place and in the right mix too !
To say it short - marvelous !!:))

Regards
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 09:08 AM
George,

I saw that documentary, too. It was quite a revelation, to say the least. One of my (Alan's) best friends was from Hazard County, KY. He passed away last year. He didn't work in any of the coal mines of Eastern Kentucky but knew many who did. He was a marvelous singer, was the lead singer in the band I played in in Germany for many years.

Your song and story are magnificent! I can't suggest a single thing to make it better. Everything is placed correctly and in good balance. Whether you realize it or not, you're getting a very good handle on this mixing stuff very quickly. It sounds as good as many of the Bluegrass recordings I've listened to that were big hits.

Wishing the very best for Billy.

Excellent in every way! Congrats on a fine song and recording ...

Alan and Di
Posted By: boehm Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 01:22 PM
Hi George,

a very touching story. I wish you the best for Billy.
As for the song: excellent in every way.

Guenter
Posted By: George Ireton Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 01:26 PM
Dani & Alan,
Thanks for checking it out. The song reminds me that life is short. I need to get back there and see my brother. While I'm at it I might as well stop by Arkansas and visit my Bluegrass buddy Van Atwell. I haven't seen him in years either. I will introduce you to him in my next post!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 01:30 PM
It's a +1 from me. Nothing to critique here, as Sheriff Andy Griffith would tell the 'Darlins' after a great bluegrass song - "That was mighty fine boys."
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 01:50 PM
+1 from me as well. I was involved with a bluegrass group for a time and this sounds like it fits into the style quite well. Thank you for sharing the song and the reason behind it. + 1 to wish you the best for Billy.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 05:08 PM
First I wish the best for your brother Billy, Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

Second this song is perfect. For your second posting you have the mix spot on!

Keep up the great work!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 07:49 PM
Nice song!! I thought it was touching and well sung. The arrangement and vocal were just what they should be. Great job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Brother Billy - 08/02/14 10:37 PM
Great job of capturing a tough life situation in song. A good write.
Heartfelt.

Terrific mix. Soulful vocal.

floyd
Posted By: gibson Re: Brother Billy - 08/03/14 02:41 AM
George,

A good song about a hard subject.
I live in the once great mining district of South Wales UK and a few friends were underground in the day. What a hard life.

Alzheimers is an awful way to end one's life.

All the best for your brother Billy.

Alyn
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Brother Billy - 08/03/14 06:13 AM
Quote:
Great job of capturing a tough life situation in song. A good write.
Heartfelt.

Terrific mix. Soulful vocal.

floyd

I totally agree. This was an excellent listen. I hope that all goes well for your brother.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: gruverider Re: Brother Billy - 08/03/14 07:35 AM
Great lyrics that capture your story well. I can relate on a particular level as my brother suffers with mental illness.

thanks for sharing.
© PG Music Forums