PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 04:21 AM
Hi everyone,

It's been a few months since I last posted a song! It's good to be back smile

A little while ago, Brenda and I wrote some lyrics while we were listening to BIAB play a gentle bossanova rhythm. I set the lyrics to music. Below is the result.

• AUDIO: "Anything Can Happen"

All comments welcome.

Regards,
    Noel

LYRICS
    Anything can happen
    When two hearts collide
    Songs fill the air, stars fill the sky
    Wherever you turn
    It's a wonderful day
    So many things are possible when love comes your way

Anything can happen
    When two hearts collide
    There's a magic that grows in that instant of time
    It waits to astound you
    So why delay?

Through the years
    Life has tossed you and tumbled you around
    After an ocean of tears
    Don't be afraid to dance
    Come on
    Take a chance

Anything can happen
    When two hearts collide
    The dawn of a lifetime can glisten and shine
    It's yours for the taking
    So roll the dice and play

[TAG]
    Hey, get out there today
    Anything can happen when love comes your way

SONG SPECS.
    Format
    Standard AABA

RealTracks
    464:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140 (set to Double-time)
    714:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Bossa Ev 085
    922:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaFreeComp Ev 085
    1237:Guitar, Electric, Soloist SmoothJazzPoppy Ev16 090

RealDrums
    BossaBrushesFull^2-a,b:Sidestick, Brushes

NOTES
    • Written in BIAB
    • Vocals recorded and tracks assembled and mixed in Reaper
    • The final mix was polished up a bit using Ozone
Posted By: dani48 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 06:35 AM
Hi, Noel and Brenda !:))

Noel, my friend, it is good to have you back !
And what a comeback !!!!!!!:)))
Absolutely stunning Noel ! I cannot but
congratulate you and Brenda for this gem !:))
...... are you going to write the rest
of the musical now ?

MAY LOVE COME YOUR WAY !!!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: gruverider Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 07:43 AM

the lyrics are delightful! Just have to love a love song.

thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RichMac Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 09:18 AM

Hi Noel. Plus one to Dani's comments.

Beautifully crafted and reminds me of the musicals we used to enjoy at the movies (once upon a time).

Sounds A1 Broadway material to me. Very smooth. Cheers.
Posted By: gibson Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 10:16 AM
Noel,
Another Noel song that would fit so well in the 30's when two lovers could actually dance together.
Needs Fred and Ginger dancing in the background tho!!!

Alyn
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 10:37 AM
Hi Dani,

Thank you for the welcome back. I've been gone way too long and I'm glad to be able to be part of the forums again.

I appreciate your having a listen. When I read through your comments, I smiled. I'm still smiling smile I know that when Brenda reads them, she's going to be smiling too!

Best wishes,
Noel.

P.S. I notice that there are a couple of recent songs of yours that I haven't yet commented on. I'd better get moving!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 10:47 AM
Hi Lawrence,

Thank you. I'm glad you got a chance to jump in and have a listen. Appreciate the positive comments.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 10:58 AM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for popping into the thread and for listening. Brenda and I both like musicals and the tin pan alley songs from the 30s/40s. They seem to be styles that we keep on coming back to. Band in a Box makes it all so easy! Such a great program.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 11:03 AM
Hi Alyn,

Yes, times have changed!!! When I wrote the music, I had images of Fred and Ginger dancing in my head. I'm pretty sure those pictures shaped the melody and harmony. It's such a great period for music.

Thank you for having a listen.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 01:12 PM
What a wonderful positive tune! We collided 34 years ago and we still fit like Fred and Ginger or like, in the bluegrass world, Lester and Earl! smile

This is just a great finely produced and performed tune to wake up to, listen to, and drink good coffee over.

Thanks!!

Janice and Bud
Posted By: boehm Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 01:19 PM
Hi Noel,

welcome back.
Beautiful song.
I've never heard you singing so nicely!
My regards to Brenda for the nice lyrics.

Guenter
Posted By: ROG Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 01:24 PM
Hey Noel.

How strange that Alyn should mention Fred and Ginger when I've just finished watching "Flying Down To Rio". This latest offering of yours sounds like it came straight from the film.

I've got copies of most of their films, so you can guess that I'm always going to love this sort of song. It's beautifully written and superbly performed. The recording and mix is exemplary, as usual.

Good to have you back posting great songs.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 01:57 PM
Noel/Brenda...

Excellent songwriting (full stop!)

The collide/sky, collide/time, collide/shine rhymes are stellar.

"Through the years
Life has tossed you and tumbled you around
After an ocean of tears
Don't be afraid to dance
Come on
Take a chance"

... like it came right out of Tin Pan Alley! Gorgeous. You do the AABA so well. And the repeat of the first two lines was handle expertly.

The melody falls on the ears like you've known it all your life.

Noel, your vocal on these type songs are always exactly what they should sound like - they are "sung with a smile and a wink and a tip of the hat"....

Excellent mix. Nothing out of place. Everything in the pocket.

Going back for another listen...

floyd
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 02:20 PM
Welcome back Noel!

Your songs are always a pleasure to hear and this one was great to wake up with this morning. It has a wonderful Michael Buble feel. He's won four Grammys....hmmmm.....pitching idea perhaps... wink

Josie
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 02:32 PM
This is a great song to start the day with. Excellent written lyrics, good music production topped with the right vocals. Plus 1 from me.

Regards,

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 03:37 PM
I love the traditional style of song writing, and this nails it!! Really pretty and well crafted song. Nice job all the way around! You should check out a song with the same title on Youtube, by Jackson Browne. It's an incredible song with a much heavier message and worth checking out. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 03:51 PM
Noel,

You and Brenda wrote a real gem! Great Show-Tune! We can see this being sung on a theatre stage,the singer gliding across the floor with subtle dancers in the background.

Wonderful production of your song. What a pleasure it was to listen to. We thoroughly enjoyed our few minutes with your creation! Best to you ... nice to have you back in our midst...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Skyline Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 05:07 PM
Nice to hear from you again, Noel!
Super song, it conjures up all kinds of nostalgic memories.

John
Posted By: tommyad Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 09:17 PM
Noel, the melody is fantastic. Grabs you and won't let go. It has the familiar feel of an old standard. If you try and write with that in my it won't happen, but sometimes magic appears and there it is. The positive vibe, instrument choice, song structure and perfect vocal are a combination that is hard to beat. Bravo! Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 10:50 PM
Hi Janice and Bud.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We collided 34 years ago and we still fit like Fred and Ginger or like, in the bluegrass world, Lester and Earl! smile

Now that made me chuckle laugh Congratulations on 34 years! That's the kind of collision that's worth having.

I appreciate the positive 'morning coffee' comments. Brenda will too when she reads them. Thanks for taking time to have a listen to comment.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 10:58 PM
Hi Guenter,

Thanks for dropping in. It's always a pleasure to read you.

Regarding my singing ... I'm using a new mic. For years I've been using the Shure SM58. Just recently, I came across the Sennheiser E835S and, after reading reviews and trying it out, I decided to give it a go. It seems to be much friendlier with my voice - particularly with the ess sound. This is the first time I've used it on a song I've posted.

Thank you for your positive support.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 11:11 PM
Hey ROG.

Good to see you.

Every now and then, I head over to Youtube and look for Fred Astaire clips. They are always very entertaining to watch. I never tire of them. He and Ginger were amazing! To my way of thinking, music from this period defined so much of everything that has followed. Maybe that's why I keep on getting pulled back to Tin Pan Alley as a genre!

I appreciate your comments. I have no doubt that the "superbly performed" comes from the fact that I'm using a new mic (Sennheiser E835S) that interacts better with me. I was also pleased to read that the mix worked for you. I have to confess that out of everything to do with putting a song together, it's the mixing that intimidates me most!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/03/14 11:28 PM
Hey floyd!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Excellent songwriting (full stop!)

I can see you're developing an Aussie accent. Cool smile I'm still trying with my American one!

Thanks for noticing so much about the song! I appreciate that. A fair amount of refining went into getting the final product together. Like always, when things finally settle into place, I'm always left wondering why it took so long to find notes and words that, at the end of the process, seem obvious choices. I guess that's just how the craft of songwriting works for me.

Also, thank you for so much positive feedback. It has started me out on 'high' on this freezing cold Monday!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 12:59 AM
Hi Josie,

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Welcome back Noel!

Thank you smile It's good to be able to be part of the forums again! I missed everyone!

If only I could get a song to Michael Buble! How cool would that be. I probably wouldn't sleep for a week because of all the excitement I'd be feeling. Oh well .... doesn't hurt to dream ...

Thanks for the positive feedback. I appreciate it a great deal and I know Brenda will also be smiling ear-to-ear when she reads it!

Best wishes,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 01:02 AM
Hey Charlie,

Thank you for dropping in

I'm grateful for your positive thoughts. You brought a smile to my face.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 07:04 AM
Hi Greg,

Thank you for passing through my thread. I really appreciate your comments (even if they're overly generous) smile I have to be honest, though, none of this would be possible for me if it wasn't for BIAB. It's such an amazing program and it lets people play around in every genre they feel inspired to dabble in. BIAB makes songwriting a whole heap of fun.

Thank you again,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 07:10 AM
Hi Di and Al.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
We can see this being sung on a theatre stage,the singer gliding across the floor with subtle dancers in the background.

That sounds kind of like the Fred and Ginger image I had in my head while I was writing the music. Amazing!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
We thoroughly enjoyed our few minutes with your creation! Best to you ... nice to have you back in our midst...

I'm glad the creation worked for you. And thank you for the welcome back. It's good to be on-board again.

Lastly, thank you for comments that gave me a huge grin. I'm pretty sure it will last the whole day!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 07:15 AM
Hey John.

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Nice to hear from you again, Noel!
Super song, it conjures up all kinds of nostalgic memories.

Thank you for taking time out to have a listen. I appreciate your comments. The 30s and 40s were such rich periods in music history and development. Lately I seem to gravitate to styles from this part of the music timeline more and more.

I notice that you've recently posted another song! I'd better get listening!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 07:21 AM
Hi Tom,

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, the melody is fantastic. Grabs you and won't let go. It has the familiar feel of an old standard. If you try and write with that in my it won't happen, but sometimes magic appears and there it is. The positive vibe, instrument choice, song structure and perfect vocal are a combination that is hard to beat. Bravo! Tom

Thank you for having a listen and for taking time to comment. You've really made my day!!!

If only I could write blues half as good as you I'd be an incredibly happy man ...

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RnAM Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 12:21 PM
Hi Noel,

That's a very nice song in the 'entertainment' style with a slight and distant Sinatra touch.
Enjoyed.

Regards
R & AM
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/04/14 08:10 PM
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

Thank you for taking the time to listen. I have to confess that I've never seen the word "Sinatra" used in any comment about my songs before! That has started my day off on a great note!

Thank you again,
Noel
Posted By: PatrickH Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/05/14 01:37 AM
Really nice lyric and beautiful melody to match. And earlier post noted that it's a great tune to start the day with. It's also nice to listen to around 9:38 pm.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/05/14 06:46 AM
Hi Noel

Nice to have you back on the forum. I enjoyed the listen on this wonderful Tuesday morning when I am trying to catch up on some listening. Great production.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/06/14 07:04 AM
Hi Patrick,

It's good to see you. Thank you for taking time to visit Soundcloud and hear the song. I appreciate it. It's a relief to know that the song works just as well at 9:38 pm as it does over coffee in the morning wink

One again, "Thank you".
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/06/14 07:06 AM
Hi JosieC,

Thanks for the welcome back. I've missed the forums. Also, thank you for fitting my song if for a listen. You're a busy woman and I know it's not easy listening to everything that populates Users Showcase.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/11/14 04:41 PM
Noel,

LIke you, I have been out for quite a while. I am so glad to see you back, and producing! This is exactly as I expected it would be - very well crafted lyrics, and performance. You just keep getting better and better!

Steve
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/11/14 10:51 PM
hi noel a great listen enjoyed very much great lyrics vocal mix what a gift those who can write and sing welcome back thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/13/14 08:59 AM
Hey Steve,

Thank you for taking time to jump in and have a listen. It's always good to see your name pop up in a thread. I appreciate your very positive thoughts (even if they are overly generous)! Thank you. Brenda will get a kick out of reading them too.

Take care.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/13/14 09:01 AM
Hi Eric,

Thank you! I'm not nearly as productive as you, though. You have a great flair for turning out some terrific music. I pale by comparison. BIAB sure makes it fun, though.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/14/14 01:19 AM
Welcome back Noel and Brenda! Another fine tune and a superb production. Thanks for posting.

Mike B.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/15/14 10:46 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the welcome back! It's great to be here again. Thank you also for the positive feedback. I know Brenda will be smiling when she reads it (just as I am now).

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/16/14 06:00 PM
Noel,

Delightful song and well sung. I could see Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers floating around the ballroom floor in their tux and gown making go-go eyes to each other.

May I ask why you classified the song as "tin pan alley"? My thought is the song is more of a ballroom standard.

Anyhow, I can't wait to hear how the song sounds on my stereo tonight. Perhaps the song will encourage my better half to dance with me in the moonlight!
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/18/14 10:00 PM
Noel,

An excellent write! Your songs are so consistently you. Nobody does the tin pan alley / Broadway thing like you do! I really enjoyed it!

On the mix/production aspect... everything seems great, except it's pretty bass heavy on my system. Could just be my system. grin

Great Job!

Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/18/14 11:01 PM
Hi Jim,

I actually wondered about using the descriptor "Tin Pan Alley". It's clever that you picked up on that!

Interestingly, there's a great deal written about Tin Pan Alley, and an equally great deal of disagreement as to what period(s) and styles of music are covered by Tin Pan Alley (TPA). All seem to agree that the standards written in the 20s and 30s (Over The Rainbow, When You Wish Upon A Star, Ira and George Gershwin songs, Rodgers and Hart songs, etc.) are part of the TPA days.

My favoured reference book is one called "The Poets Of Tin Pan Alley". It's written by Philip Furia, an English Literature professor, and makes for excellent reading. Furia argues that TPA (as a broader concept) had its beginning in the early 1900s and lasted through until the 1950s. I thought, rightly or wrongly, that since the style of "Anything Can Happen" could fit within this range, TPA was ok.

By the way, did you and your wife dance in the moonlight?

Thank you again for listening and for taking the time to give feedback.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song: "Anything Can Happen" - 08/18/14 11:04 PM
Hey Greg,

It's always a pleasure to see you.

Thank you for dropping in and having a listen. Much appreciated. I'll go back and have a listen to the bass. That's always the track I find hardest to balance in the mix. Thanks for drawing it to my attention.

Best wishes,
Noel
© PG Music Forums