PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad You're Evil - 08/10/14 11:41 AM
Blues Rock-Turn it up! I hope everyone enjoys it. Comments/Suggestions encouraged as always.

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12859494

RealTracks in style: 1717:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockStraight Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1719:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightSol Ev 120
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: BluesRockEv^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

You're Evil

Midnight’s gone and left us and I’m sneaking around

I really got no kind of business being on this side of town

On Off on with the bedroom light

The signal that your man is gone

You’re Evil Gonna make a fool outa me

Pure Evil won’t you set me free

Waiting by the front door as i step inside

I must be some kind of crazy to be messin with another man’s wife

It’s just so overwhelming

The way that you pull me in

Chorus

My sense of guilt is going to eat me up
I know what I’ve done aint right

it just doesn’t seem to bother you much

Sneaking round every night

The sun goes down as i race uptown

I can’t get you off of my mind

Once again I’m lyin to myself

Sayin this is gonna be the last time

So give me one last kiss
make it simple as that

©2014 Thomas Adams
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: You're Evil - 08/10/14 12:54 PM
Really enjoyed this. Good song and production and great guitar.

Charlie
Posted By: Al-David Re: You're Evil - 08/10/14 02:32 PM
Hi Tom,

Super song! Your gritty guitar shines. I always enjoy your playing. And you'r singing and writing ain't too shabby, either.

Classic Blues with a contemporary touch. Sweet! Loving that guitar. May have to go back for another listen. Good stuff for sure! Totally enjoyable listen! Best to ya...

Alan & Di
Posted By: dani48 Re: You're Evil - 08/10/14 04:06 PM
Hi, Tommy !

I surely enjoyed your tune very much !
Your voice suits the tune like a hand in
a glove !:)) and your guitar lead
is just wonderful !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: boehm Re: You're Evil - 08/10/14 04:24 PM
Hi Tommy,

classic blues with vocals and guitar that really fit the genre.
Great listen.

Guenter
Posted By: RnAM Re: You're Evil - 08/10/14 09:49 PM
Hi Tom,

That's a good old heavy rock song. Professionally arranged.
We were wondering.... did you happen to use any distortion-like plug ins on your vocal(nice rough edge on the vocal) or was it recorded clean?

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: RichMac Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 01:11 AM
Your guitar really has teeth Tommy. I could imagine CCR doing this one. Great vocal and lyrics. Cheers.
Posted By: gibson Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 04:48 AM
Tom,

Quote:
Your guitar really has teeth
What a good way to describe your playing from RichMac!
Vocals are wonderful, you and the guitar are one!!
If you don't mind I shall steal that lick 2:12 to 2:16 pure genius.

excellent!!

Alyn
Posted By: PatrickH Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 11:10 AM
+1 that ascending riff. Yeah. And the repeated riff/theme interjected in the choruses. Great guitar work that is up front and really supports the tune well.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 12:03 PM
cool tune.... nice guitar tone....

Yup...someone else mentioned CCR..... it's got that classic CCR Bayou sound, just a bit updated.
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Really enjoyed this. Good song and production and great guitar.

Charlie

Charlie, so glad you liked it. Tom

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom,

Super song! Your gritty guitar shines. I always enjoy your playing. And you'r singing and writing ain't too shabby, either.

Classic Blues with a contemporary touch. Sweet! Loving that guitar. May have to go back for another listen. Good stuff for sure! Totally enjoyable listen! Best to ya...

Alan & Di

A&D, I was trying for a modern blues sound. Thanks for the nice words. Tom

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Tommy !

I surely enjoyed your tune very much !
Your voice suits the tune like a hand in
a glove !:)) and your guitar lead
is just wonderful !:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani, Thanks so much. This was a fun one for guitar. Tom

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

classic blues with vocals and guitar that really fit the genre.
Great listen.

Guenter

Guenter, Thanks for giving it a spin. I appreciate it. Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 04:10 PM
Tom,

PHENONMENAL opening! The combination of the drums with the signature lick just hit ya smack in the face and say "Listen up! Sometime cool is happening here!"

And those drums!!! THE BEST I've ever heard on the forum. Exactly what a pop/rock/country song needs. Never thought to use that drums set (since I don't do blues), but it is EXACTLY the sound I've been looking for. That leathery snare and a kick to match and the hi-hats staying in the background where they belong (IMO). Did you process those with Alloy? Anything else. Gotta know!

An excellent rock/pop lyric.
"On Off on with the bedroom light
The signal that your man is gone". NICE!!! (especially the "on off on"). great rhyming throughout.

And the lyric has a tremendous cadence to it. Something that many songwriters neglect - or don't get... again... Nice!

The lead grabs your attention...then settles in and carries you on..

The vocal is well done, too (I was wondering were the chick singers where at one point, though...)

You just keep moving that bar higher with each song.

This is so very good!

floyd
Posted By: Steve Young Re: You're Evil - 08/11/14 04:51 PM
Tommy,

I've been out for some while, and boy I'm sure glad I was able to get back and hear this! Great production, and your guitar playing and vocals just really work on this one! Really enjoyed it.

Steve
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 02:43 AM
What can I say Tom-it`s another great tune, performed beautifully done!! I really like the bluesy lyrical vibe and the vocal is masterfully delivered (starting to rival your guitar work). The lyrical theme reminds me a bit of the tune HOMEWRECKER by Nick Lowe. Great stuff, as always! Take care. Greg
Posted By: w Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 03:05 AM
Good country rock!

Requires some sound balancing to remove some of the distortion or maybe that was intentional.
Posted By: George Ireton Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 07:13 AM
Thanks for another great song Tom. Words escape me, except to say that I am so very glad to find this forum where excellence lives!
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Tom,

That's a good old heavy rock song. Professionally arranged.
We were wondering.... did you happen to use any distortion-like plug ins on your vocal(nice rough edge on the vocal) or was it recorded clean?

Regards,
R & AM

R& AM, I am impressed that you were able to pick out the effect. It was recorded clean but probably a little hot and I used a Nectar2 plug in preset Tight Soul. It has compression and Saturation which is like distortion. Thanks for the kind words. Tom

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Your guitar really has teeth Tommy. I could imagine CCR doing this one. Great vocal and lyrics. Cheers.

Richard, Thankfully the guitar has teeth because I am missing more than a few. Tom

Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,

Quote:
Your guitar really has teeth
What a good way to describe your playing from RichMac!
Vocals are wonderful, you and the guitar are one!!
If you don't mind I shall steal that lick 2:12 to 2:16 pure genius.

excellent!!

Alyn

Alyn, Steal away. The guys in my former band were split on that lick. Half of them would say what the hell is wrong with you! Don't ever play that again! The other half would say that was the coolest thing I ever heard. Thanks for bringing attention to it. Tom

Originally Posted By: nobilis
+1 that ascending riff. Yeah. And the repeated riff/theme interjected in the choruses. Great guitar work that is up front and really supports the tune well.

Patrick, Those were my two favorite parts of this song. I must have been thinking of Jimmy Page on the chorus riff. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your input. Tom

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
cool tune.... nice guitar tone....

Yup...someone else mentioned CCR..... it's got that classic CCR Bayou sound, just a bit updated.

Herb, I love Fogarty. Thanks to you and Richard for bringing that to my attention. I never thought of it. But now that you mention it...... Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom,

PHENONMENAL opening! The combination of the drums with the signature lick just hit ya smack in the face and say "Listen up! Sometime cool is happening here!"

And those drums!!! THE BEST I've ever heard on the forum. Exactly what a pop/rock/country song needs. Never thought to use that drums set (since I don't do blues), but it is EXACTLY the sound I've been looking for. That leathery snare and a kick to match and the hi-hats staying in the background where they belong (IMO). Did you process those with Alloy? Anything else. Gotta know!

An excellent rock/pop lyric.
"On Off on with the bedroom light
The signal that your man is gone". NICE!!! (especially the "on off on"). great rhyming throughout.

And the lyric has a tremendous cadence to it. Something that many songwriters neglect - or don't get... again... Nice!

The lead grabs your attention...then settles in and carries you on..

The vocal is well done, too (I was wondering were the chick singers where at one point, though...)

You just keep moving that bar higher with each song.

This is so very good!

floyd

floyd, I always look forward to your comments. That snare is the Yogi Berra catcher's mitt sound. Then when you add the Alloy preset Roomy Drums it becomes - in Yankee Stadium. Thanks for all the nice things you've said about this one. Now my Yankees cap might be a tight fit. Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 01:41 PM
Man, I wait just two days to offer some comments and everybody has already exhausted the superlatives. So, to heck with it, I'll just be redundant!

- cool write and vocal (floyd pointed out the very cool line)
- stellar rock mix -- pro all the way to my ears
- you are the Izotope poster boy

The song is full of "great grit" from the vocals to the guitars. Just enough to put that edge on it yet still allow everything in the mix to still shine. Hard to do -- I know cause, lordy know, I try to understand the techniques behind it. Easy to take for granted and listen to. Putting it all together is another thing.

Masterful!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: You're Evil - 08/12/14 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad

floyd, I always look forward to your comments. That snare is the Yogi Berra catcher's mitt sound. Then when you add the Alloy preset Roomy Drums it becomes - in Yankee Stadium. Thanks for all the nice things you've said about this one. Now my Yankees cap might be a tight fit. Tom

I assume you got my meaning despite all the typos...

You can't kid me - that ain't no Yankees cap!
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/13/14 02:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Tommy,

I've been out for some while, and boy I'm sure glad I was able to get back and hear this! Great production, and your guitar playing and vocals just really work on this one! Really enjoyed it.

Steve

Steve, thanks for commenting. You have been greatly missed. Hope you're doing better. Tom

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What can I say Tom-it`s another great tune, performed beautifully done!! I really like the bluesy lyrical vibe and the vocal is masterfully delivered (starting to rival your guitar work). The lyrical theme reminds me a bit of the tune HOMEWRECKER by Nick Lowe. Great stuff, as always! Take care. Greg

Greg, thanks I'll have to check that out. Tom

[quote=w]Good country rock!

Requires some sound balancing to remove some of the distortion or maybe that was intentional.

W, thanks for coming around and weighing in. Contrary to popular belief, distortion is not the enemy. Tom
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: You're Evil - 08/13/14 05:51 AM

Plus one from me. Good work Tom.
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/14/14 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: George Ireton
Thanks for another great song Tom. Words escape me, except to say that I am so very glad to find this forum where excellence lives!

George, Thanks for the kind words. We are all glad you joined the forum. This is the best place to hang out for sure. Tom
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: You're Evil - 08/14/14 06:54 PM
Tommy,

I agree with Floyd. This is so very good! Outstanding guitar, vocals, mix, etc, and those drums sound FANTASTIC!

Excellent job!

Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: You're Evil - 08/15/14 01:57 AM
Nailed it. That's some wicked guitar too.

Josie
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/15/14 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, I wait just two days to offer some comments and everybody has already exhausted the superlatives. So, to heck with it, I'll just be redundant!

- cool write and vocal (floyd pointed out the very cool line)
- stellar rock mix -- pro all the way to my ears
- you are the Izotope poster boy

The song is full of "great grit" from the vocals to the guitars. Just enough to put that edge on it yet still allow everything in the mix to still shine. Hard to do -- I know cause, lordy know, I try to understand the techniques behind it. Easy to take for granted and listen to. Putting it all together is another thing.

Masterful!

Janice and Bud, Y'all are always so very kind to me. Thanks. Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: You're Evil - 08/15/14 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: JosieC

Plus one from me. Good work Tom.

Josie, Thanks for all your support and kind words. Tom

Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Tommy,

I agree with Floyd. This is so very good! Outstanding guitar, vocals, mix, etc, and those drums sound FANTASTIC!

Excellent job!

Greg

Greg, Glad you're back. Thanks for the nice comments.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Nailed it. That's some wicked guitar too.

Josie

Josie, Nailed? Wicked? I can't ask for more that that. Thanks. I always look forward to your comments. Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: You're Evil - 08/23/14 12:42 PM
really love the guitar riff you open with and repeat. something that my songs have been missing. it really grounds the song and gives it identity.

and solid lyrics, very cohesive story and an interesting subject

and the opening diminished notes in the solo are inspired!

well done!
© PG Music Forums