PG Music Home
Posted By: George Ireton Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/11/14 09:08 PM
Still a rank rookie here. This is my third post. Down In The Willow Garden is a traditional Irish tune. I thought it would be a cool instrumental to include while playing at senior care residences etc.

While there are a great many lyrics and stanzas to this song, I chose to make a short instrumental intro with the Ukelele, playing the traditional theme of “Down In The Willow Garden” followed by a full version of “Sally Garden Reel”.

Used BIAB to start, then tweaked er' in RB. Mixing with headsets is not the best. Appreciate your observations.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/12/14 03:14 PM
George,

The uke is nicely recorded (and played).

A good listen. The mix is good. The last guitar that comes in (on the left) is panned pretty far over, while the other guitar (on the right) is less so (meaning not all the over) - causing the balance to "lean a little left". I think it would work slightly better if you brought that left one in some. The bass sounds good centered. The fiddle is good slightly to the left of center (it sounds like about 15-20L ?) Try setting the guitars the same amount either side (like 35-40L and 35-40R)... just suggestions, of course..

I did enjoy the song..

floyd
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/12/14 10:59 PM
Very nice. Sounds perfectly mixed on the iPhone (sans headphones) smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/12/14 11:16 PM
Hey George "Mixmaster floyd" creates his productions using cans....so I wouldn't be apprehensive about them smile

Enjoyed the song -- interesting arrangement. Somewhere with somebody in the distant past I played a version of the song. It's a nice melody.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/13/14 06:15 AM
Hi George
A very nice tune and I enjoyed the listen very much and was quite sad when it ended so soon!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/13/14 07:32 AM
Hi, George !:))

I also enjoyed this tune
very much ! I must reveal that
I have a flair for Irish
(and Scottish) music so
immediately as you started
I was carried back to the
green Island again !:))

The intro is in fact also
quite interesting as it sounds
Japanese !!!!!:))

Cheers
Dani

PS

George, you won´t be a rookie for long,
sooner than you think you´ll be a veteran
over here too !!:))
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/13/14 08:52 AM
Hi George,

I always use headphones for as part of my mixing journey. I find it much easier to hear how the stereo field is progressing in the mix by using them.

This instrumental was a great listen. You had me tapping my toes!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: boehm Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/13/14 01:40 PM
Hi George,

a very nice tune. I have no problems with the mix.
I also enjoyed your background story.

Guenter
Posted By: George Ireton Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/13/14 07:29 PM
To all who took the time to give a listen... Thanks!
And... quite an ear bone you got throbbin' there Floyd! I hear what you are talking about and will fix it! Gracias!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/13/14 10:11 PM
Good production George. This has a traditional Appalachian feel to it to me. Enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: tommyad Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/14/14 11:53 AM
George, I liked it a lot! Very good mix and production. Nice the way it builds throughout. The uke sounds great. Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/14/14 09:48 PM
Hi George,

a very nice instrumental!
And yes, the uke is nicely recorded.
Any chance of creating a user track for us with your ukulele?

Regards,
Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/15/14 01:29 AM
Very nice stuff! Sweet and enjoyable. I thought it came across nicely. Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/15/14 01:41 AM
Quote:
George, I liked it a lot! Very good mix and production. Nice the way it builds throughout. The uke sounds great.

+1 Good job. Very much enjoyed.

And I'll second R&M on the Uke user tracks request. <grin>

Josie
Posted By: George Ireton Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/16/14 10:20 PM
Hmmmm.. User tracks... something I have yet to learn how to do. I will bone up on it and give it a shot. Thanks!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Still Workin' On My Mixology Chops - 08/17/14 02:36 AM
Excellent work, like the soft intro; thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums