PG Music Home
Posted By: Joe Ramsay Where is Love? - 08/20/14 08:15 PM
I am working on a project that involves writing music for Christian church worship services that reflects a liberal, progressive theology. Working in partnership with author Brian McLaren, I am creating musically the ideas that Brian writes about in his books. (http://www.brianmclaren.net). This song relies completely on BIAB tracks. This is a draft version of the song - please give me some critical feedback which I can use as I work toward a final mix (if progressive Christian music isn't your thing, please give me feedback on the music and mix anyway - I don't wish to debate the theology, just get feedback on the music composition, and the mix). Thanks everyone!

https://soundcloud.com/joeramsay/where-is-love
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Where is Love? - 08/20/14 08:54 PM
My favorite so far! There are some chord changes in the second section (just over a minute in) which are a bit unusual. Overall, very nice song! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Joe Ramsay Re: Where is Love? - 08/20/14 09:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Middle section is maj7 chords in ascending 4ths. (or descending 5ths - can never remember how that progression is described).
Posted By: Sundance Re: Where is Love? - 08/21/14 04:33 AM
Hi Joe,

This is a very pretty song. I like it.

You didn't list the RT's you are using which would help but the lead guitar you open with is too fast sounding for the song and has some warbling issues. I'd find another real track to use instead of that one. At around 2:03 or somewhere near there on the timeline there's an audible glitch - you'll have to solo each track to find what's doing it and edit that out. Could be the vocal track but I can't tell for sure. Other than that it sounds good to me.

You said this is a draft - are you planning on "mastering" it yourself or sending it out? Just curious.

All the best,

Josie

Posted By: boehm Re: Where is Love? - 08/22/14 12:07 AM
Hi Joe,

enjoyable listen. I like those chords in the middle section. Josie is right: you should get rid of that bump at 2:02.

Guenter
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Where is Love? - 08/22/14 12:14 PM
Cool tune.... you asked for crits on this.

The mix sounds fairly decent. The vox really doesn't set as well as it should into the mix.

The verses are really similar to the chorus so it's hard to instantly know where one is in the song. I was trying to imagine myself singing this.....I couldn't imagine singing about "corporate profits" in a church song.

The part that starts sorrow greets us everyday is a really hard part to sing with the "pastel" chords and unusual progression in there. You hit it again with new words later....

Several clicks in the song need to be removed.

I think you have a good idea here, that needs to be worked out a bit more.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Where is Love? - 08/22/14 01:12 PM
Another nice song Joe. It's fun following your project as it progresses and I think you are doing a great job so far.

Charlie
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Where is Love? - 08/23/14 04:10 AM
Another nice piece, great writing; thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums