PG Music Home
Posted By: SpaceDog Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 02:19 AM
Dear Forum Friends,
I hope everyone is having fun tonight. I've been listening in on all your new songs. I'm just humbled to be able to have a new offering for your entertainment.
You'll probably never come across a song about someone's mother-in-law that's so upbeat and positive but you would be too if you're wife's mom was anything like Jelly Jo. She is one unique lady. The song only scrtatches the surface. We had a lot of fun writing it. and thankfully Jo likes it too. We hope you will as well.

Here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12900698&q=hi&newref=1

Here are the RTs:
Style is _LAZYJZM.STY (Piano Trio Medium Slow)

444:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 140 ('2' only)
446:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Jazz Sw 140
RealDrums in style: JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier

Also, this was my first experiment with a "Sectional Verse" or "Prelude". They used to be a popular song element and often used is songs from musicals.

Enjoy
SpaceDog

www.soundclick.com/dcspacedog
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 05:43 AM
It was an enjoyable listen. It has a nice, easy, feel good vibe.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 12:19 PM
SD

Cool prelude. This is your best, I think.

A good upbeat one...

fj
Posted By: gibson Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 12:28 PM
Spacedog,

What a fun song for the mother in law!
Mine was ever slightly different LOL

I like the backing vocals.
A very enjoyable song!!

Alyn
Posted By: Sundance Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 04:29 PM
Fun song. Cool vocals and harmonies.

Josie
Posted By: boehm Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 04:56 PM
Hi Spacedog,

what a fun song!
Nice backing vocals.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 07:56 PM
Nice feelgood song!! I like the relaxed arrangement-very natural. Cool vocals! A fun listen all around! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Jelly Jo - 08/30/14 09:54 PM
Hi SpaceDog,

Very entertaining; terrific melody and arrangement. I always like listening to a good, uplifting, upbeat tune. I agree with floyd. I reckon this is one of the best I've heard from your songwriting catalogue.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Jelly Jo - 08/31/14 02:49 AM
Charlie,
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I can't recall talking to you before. Nice to meet you!

Floyd,
Thanks for listening. My wife had a huge say in writing and arranging this one. Credit goes to her.

Alyn,
I'm glad you liked it. I know, it's really unusual to actually like your mother-in-law. What can I say. Just lucky I guess.

Josie,
Thanks. Always good to hear from you. Jo's full name is Joephine, of course. Do they ever call you Jo?

Guenter,
Vielen dank! I appreciate your kind words. The BGVs are always tough for me despite being a student of music.

Greg,
Thanks for listening. I like that word "feelgood" I think I use it in the description. Thanks.

Noel,
Good to hear from you! Thanks for comments. It seems people like my fun upbeat tunes better. Curious.

We so glad you all liked the song. More comments and replies later.

SpaceDog
Posted By: RnAM Re: Jelly Jo - 08/31/14 06:40 PM
Hi SD,

Well this is very nice! That says a lot, since we could't care less about jazz music grin
So this is a very fine exception. Good work and cool vocals.
(And nice to hear such positive words about a mother in law..... says Anne-Marie, being one herself).

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: dani48 Re: Jelly Jo - 08/31/14 07:32 PM
Hi, SD !

CanĀ“t get the soundclick to work on my
Laptop, Could you put Jelly Jo up on
Soundcloud too ??

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Jelly Jo - 08/31/14 08:31 PM
just when I thought that all of the possible song topics had been used to death, you came up with a pro-mother in law song! Awesome! I Like it!

My mother in law was a real treasure to me too, so I understand how that relationship can be much better than its stereotype.

The flow and feel of the song did an excellent job of conveying the positive energy between in-laws! Looking for a direct comparison style-wise, it reminded me early 60s rock like Ricky Nelson
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Jelly Jo - 09/01/14 12:34 AM
hi spacedog love the vocal on this very enjoyable thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Jelly Jo - 09/01/14 01:12 AM
R & AM,
Thanks for listening and your kind words. I'm glad you gave it a chance despite the genre. There's a lot of great stuff in the jazz genre. I marvel at their skill and creativity.
By the way, I always loved visiting The Netherlands especially Amsterdam. In fact I have a picture of "the dam" in my family room.

Dani,
Thanks for the reminder. Here's the cloud link. Enjoy.
https://soundcloud.com/dcspacedog/jelly-jo

Pat,
Your first comment made me laugh out loud (I know there's a text abbreviation for that but I hate texting.) I'm glad you liked it. She a real gem.

FMM
Thanks. The vocals stretch my low range in the prelude. That low G is about the ground floor for me. You wouldn't want to hear the F!
Glad you enjoyed it.

SD
Posted By: dani48 Re: Jelly Jo - 09/01/14 12:46 PM
Hi, SD !

Soundcloud functions fine !
What a tune !:)) WOW
This must be your best so far !:))
Liked it a lot !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Jelly Jo - 09/01/14 01:35 PM
Very interesting arrangement, vocal and all round production. Enjoyed very minute of it.....and Janice's mother is 93, a g-g-grandmother and a treasure....so I'm in with the cool mother-in-law vibe. Thanks for posting this!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Jelly Jo - 09/01/14 03:40 PM
It certainly has a classic "song from a musical" sound to it.

Well done.
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Jelly Jo - 09/02/14 02:10 AM
Dani,
Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked it.

Janice and Bud,
Thanks. I'm really lucky. I hope your mother is doing well. Mine, not so much. (see "Forget Me Not)

Herb,
Thanks, that's just what I was going for. Glad you enjoyed it.

SD
Posted By: MarioD Re: Jelly Jo - 09/03/14 06:58 PM
SD, that intro is really good, a back to the future Tin Pan Alley thing!

Everything about this is top shelf.

Super song!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Jelly Jo - 09/06/14 01:12 AM
MarioD,
Thanks. I'm glad you liked the intro. It was easy to play but tough to record.
SD
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Jelly Jo - 09/06/14 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice feelgood song!! I like the relaxed arrangement-very natural. Cool vocals! A fun listen all around! Take care. Greg

+1 from me!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Jelly Jo - 09/06/14 06:42 AM
This is a mixture of country and Elvis Presley movie music, great tribute song, I think this is your best tune to date, your vocal delivery is perfect, and the backing track is outstanding; SUPERB work; thanks for sharing!
Posted By: musiclover Re: Jelly Jo - 09/06/14 06:31 PM
Space Dog,

I loved this upbeat song, loved the intro and how the tempo changed into a nice upbeat uplifting song.

I feel you have a marvellous voice and the vocal comes over great as good as any commercial song out there, well in fact better than a lot of them...lol

Looking forward to hearing more and well done.
Musiclover
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Jelly Jo - 09/08/14 05:42 PM
Patrick,
Thanks. Glad you liked it.
Robert,
Elvis eh. All I can say is "Thank you, Thank you very much." I Really appreciate you listening and your kind comments.

Musiclover,
Thank you so much. I always loved to sing. Nice to know it still sounds Okay. Deployments to the desert really took its toll but I still count myself very lucky.
SD
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Jelly Jo - 09/08/14 05:54 PM
My Namesake!

Lovely song. Very nice and easy to listen to vocals. Sweet, sweet, sweet!
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Jelly Jo - 09/13/14 01:48 AM
Josie,
Yep, I was actually thinking about you when I posted this. I'm so glad you saw it, heard it and even liked it.
Anybody call you "Jo"? It's sort of ambiguous, like "Pat" or "Chris."

Thanks for listening and your kind words.
SD
Posted By: Al-David Re: Jelly Jo - 09/13/14 01:55 AM
Hi SD ...

Love that retro sound and feel! Thought I was listening to America's Hit parade ... TV show in the 50's that ran down the week's top ten songs ... still black & white TV! Loved the prelude and then the swing of the song. Always great to have a great Mother-in law. I've been married three times ... all three m-i-l's have passed on. Buit, being I'm almost 70, I guess that should be a surprise!

loved the song! Great arrangement and performance! Best to you ...

Alan & Di
© PG Music Forums