PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 03:47 PM
...JM being Janice Merritt...My favorite duet partner.
Thank You, Janice, for joining me on this!!!

The strings in this are a combination of MIDI SuperTracks and RTs.
I would like to see the selection of MIDI SuperTrack Strings GREATLY expanded.
I have started a thread under "Styles and RealTracks Wishlist" about this.
If you feel the same, throw a few Big +1's in there to get PG's attention...

The piano was originally played by Garland Craft (Oak Ridge Boys, Bellamy Brothers).
I captured the midi from Garland's original performance.
It was done at my house without a click track.
So I edited it, shifting a bit here and there to match up to the BIAB drum timing.
(Not much because the timing of the original was amazingly consistent)

Comment encouraged.

DO YOU REMEMBER

i reach for you, you're long since up and dressed
we'll find time another day, i guess
that's not the way it used to be
you'd wake me tenderly
a loving smile.. a sweet caress

do you remember the way we were
    when love was new
    those magic moments when passion struck
    from out of the blue
    we would kiss; the world would stop
    our two hearts beat as one
    love had just begun
    do you remember

we'd chase each other up and down the hall
i'd bring you flowers for no reason at all
you'd surprise me with
some silly little gift
we'd laugh until we cried, as i recall

do you remember the way we were
    when love was new
    those magic moments when passion struck
    from out of the blue
    we would kiss; the world would stop
    love had just begun
    do you remember

hold me close.. and whisper you'll always be mine
i need a touch of once upon a time

when we would kiss; the world would stop
    love had just begun
    do you remember

love had just begun
    do you remember

.... the Band....
Piano - Garland Craft - midi loaded to BIAB Melody track
MelodyCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand SampleTank.tgs
SoloistCustom Synth is Hi-Q 049 01 Strings, Ensemble, Chamber SampleTank.tgs

MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2060:Strings, Rhythm PopCountry Ev 120
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2336:Viola, Background, Pop Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RealTracks in song: 518 Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Thanks to Bud for engineering Janice's vocal.

Have at it, y'all!

floyd
Posted By: Sundance Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 04:19 PM
Beautiful song and love the arrangement.

I don't have the little waving bic icon - if I did I would insert it here.

Swept me away. I love it when that happens.

Josie
Posted By: boehm Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 05:05 PM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!

Guenter
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 05:09 PM
totally unexpected change in style, but you both nailed it!

Interesting that you include the phrase "the way we were" in the lyrics because that's exactly my closest point of reference for this song.

It also reminded me of something BREAD might have recorded... probably due to the use of strings more than anything else. (the strings ARE very well done! I'll gladly lend a +1 to your request for more)

I kept expecting this to be a "hisnhers" perspective song in which Janice would solo a feminine point of view, but you opted to keep it unilateral... which probably works best anyway since the theme is best summarized by the question "do you remember?" (a question one person would pose to another)

Once again you display what a multi-talented song writer you are!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 05:25 PM
Certainly a bit different for you. And very well done.

Songwriting is good on this. Kinda reminds me a bit of the songs in a Disney movie.... kinda.

Garland's playing makes this a great song. Classic in it's sound and style.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 07:53 PM
Simply gorgeous!! Great subject matter, and this song pushes all the emotional buttons in just the right way. Great arrangement, and the piano is beautiful. I would love to hear this sung by Linda Ronstadt, not that your vocal performances weren't excellent. It saddens me that people don't often write in this style anymore-formal and crafty with deep and touching lyrics. Made my day!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/30/14 10:09 PM
hi Floyd wow this is great listen +10 totally engaging thanks for sharing this eric
Posted By: gibson Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 12:12 AM
floyd and Janice,

Beautiful.
I like the hesitation in Garland's playing at the start of bars 2 and 4.
But in my mind it is as if you are playing the joanna and Janice is leaning on your shoulder both of you using the same mic. No one else should sing that song ... it is floyd and Janice's song.
And is it really 4.00 minutes long???? Time stopped still when I listened to that.

You have a hell of a voice (I 'specially like 3.43 to 3.45 in the reprise bit) and it is complimented perfectly by Janice's vocals throughout the song.

Beautiful,absolutely beautiful thank you for sharing.

Alyn
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 02:18 AM
Floyd and Janice,
Absolutely beautiful song. Thanks for sharing
SD
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 03:53 AM
Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics, beautiful harmony,beautiful production. Do I remember? Yep, I'll remember this song for a long time.

Excellent work.

Charlie
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 10:43 AM
Floyd, a very refreshing ballad, creatively presented, and with a really beautiful lyric. The gradual build further adds to the brilliance of the song.

Congratulations to Janice and yourself - very well done.

Trevor
Posted By: RnAM Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 06:25 PM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Simply beautiful in all aspects.
Floyd, like all your songs we've heard so far, we are struck by the clarity and dynamics in both the vocals and the arrangements.
We're very interested in hearing more about your set up i.e. what brand and type of microphone, DAW and the export sample rate etc. (kHz, bitrate).
Much enjoyed!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 06:50 PM
"I need a touch of once upon a time." What a lyric!
Amen to that, my friend.
This is simply wonderful in every respect.
Only 12 days to go before we get to Anna Maria Island.
Let's hope that there is some "once upon a time" there.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: dani48 Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 08/31/14 07:38 PM
Hi, Floyd, Janice & Bud !:))

Well, Floyd, this is your best
so far, everything works so
beautifully on this tune !:))
and your vocals are just stellar !:))
What a love song........!!!
My sincerest gratulations !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/01/14 09:23 PM
That's was an excellent song and great decision to do as a duet. +1 to the comments on, and also how well everything leads up to the "hold me close; and whisper you'll always be mine i need a touch of once upon a time." Top notch.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/01/14 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Beautiful song and love the arrangement.

I don't have the little waving bic icon - if I did I would insert it here.

Swept me away. I love it when that happens. Josie

Josie - what a nice thing to say... to sweep you away, that's a delightful response..

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd and Janice,

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!

Guenter

Guenter - that may be my favorite review of all time... thank you.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
totally unexpected change in style, but you both nailed it!

Interesting that you include the phrase "the way we were" in the lyrics because that's exactly my closest point of reference for this song.

It also reminded me of something BREAD might have recorded... probably due to the use of strings more than anything else. (the strings ARE very well done! I'll gladly lend a +1 to your request for more)

I kept expecting this to be a "hisnhers" perspective song in which Janice would solo a feminine point of view, but you opted to keep it unilateral... which probably works best anyway since the theme is best summarized by the question "do you remember?" (a question one person would pose to another)

Once again you display what a multi-talented song writer you are!

Pat - When that line happened in the writing ("the way we were") I almost changed it, knowing that there would be that comparison. But it was what needed to be there, so I left it. I did consider making this a back-and-forth his-n-her with Janice, but decided we'll do that somewhere else sometime... always do appreciate when you drop by for a comment or two... thanks for comin' 'round.... (Bread never got the respect that they deserved...)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/02/14 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Certainly a bit different for you. And very well done.

Songwriting is good on this. Kinda reminds me a bit of the songs in a Disney movie.... kinda.

Garland's playing makes this a great song. Classic in it's sound and style.

Thanks, Herb - never had a Disney comparison. But, heck, I'll take that any day...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Simply gorgeous!! Great subject matter, and this song pushes all the emotional buttons in just the right way. Great arrangement, and the piano is beautiful. I would love to hear this sung by Linda Ronstadt, not that your vocal performances weren't excellent. It saddens me that people don't often write in this style anymore-formal and crafty with deep and touching lyrics. Made my day!! Take care. Greg

Greg - HA! Fer sure! would love to hear Linda do this!!! That's a biggie! What a very nice review... thanks so much!

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Floyd wow this is great listen +10 totally engaging thanks for sharing this eric

Thanks, Eric!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/03/14 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd and Janice,

Beautiful.
I like the hesitation in Garland's playing at the start of bars 2 and 4.
But in my mind it is as if you are playing the joanna and Janice is leaning on your shoulder both of you using the same mic. No one else should sing that song ... it is floyd and Janice's song.
And is it really 4.00 minutes long???? Time stopped still when I listened to that.

You have a hell of a voice (I 'specially like 3.43 to 3.45 in the reprise bit) and it is complimented perfectly by Janice's vocals throughout the song.

Beautiful,absolutely beautiful thank you for sharing. Alyn

Alyn - certainly appreciate all that! thank you... it is nice to have Janice sharing that mic with me!!! (I had never heard the phrase "playing the joanna"...)

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Floyd and Janice,
Absolutely beautiful song. Thanks for sharing SD

Thanks, SD
Posted By: MarioD Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/03/14 06:39 PM
It's all been said! Beautiful vocals and lyrics with an outstanding backing track.

You two should be very proud of this one!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/04/14 02:21 PM
Thank you floyd for inviting me to sing on this and thanks to all you wonderful folks for the kind remarks.

Janice
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/04/14 05:47 PM
Floyd,

It's all been said, but this really is beautiful! Just a darn fine job. Janice sounds great too, but then I could listen to her all day. grin
Someone else mentioned the Disney movie thing and I felt the same way when I first listened.

Really Great Job!

Greg
Posted By: ROG Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/04/14 10:42 PM
Hi Floyd.

Could this be the Rock Ballad that I've been waiting for? Yes, I believe it is.

Proving once and for all that you can move out of the Country chart and still produce the same wonderful end product. The problem with picking this up late is that it's very hard to say anything original, so I'll just say that I've enjoyed listening to this track almost more than anything else you've done.

As usual, everything technical is just right - the recording, arrangement, mix - and then the performances are perfect.

Please let's have some more of this stuff.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/06/14 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics, beautiful harmony, beautiful production. Do I remember? Yep, I'll remember this song for a long time.

Excellent work. Charlie

Charlie - thanks for all of that. I know you would not that if you didn't mean it... really appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd, a very refreshing ballad, creatively presented, and with a really beautiful lyric. The gradual build further adds to the brilliance of the song.

Congratulations to Janice and yourself - very well done.

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor. Always nice to have you drop by. Appreciate the nice words. It is nice to have Janice along for the ride on this one...

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Simply beautiful in all aspects.
Floyd, like all your songs we've heard so far, we are struck by the clarity and dynamics in both the vocals and the arrangements.
We're very interested in hearing more about your set up i.e. what brand and type of microphone, DAW and the export sample rate etc. (kHz, bitrate).
Much enjoyed!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, guys! Appreciate that... I'm pressed for time at the moment - so later today, I'll discuss my set up a bit... see a then?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/06/14 10:14 PM
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd and Janice,
we are struck by the clarity and dynamics in both the vocals and the arrangements.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Ann-Marie - hi guys! back again... so, here are some details. If I'm not hitting on the right things, let me know...

I have been using Presonus Studio One Professional for about nine months now. I REALLY like it. The plugins that come with it are top-notch and for the most part very intuitive. I had used Sony Acid Pro prior to that (a good DAW), but it turns out that one of my neighbors is a "big-wig" at Presonus...

To tell you the truth, I have never really thought about sample rate. I am using 44.1 kHz - because that is the default in S1 (I had to go look). I now use 24bits because the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 that I use would not work at 16 - which is what I used to use on my old XP machine (Gina 20 interface). So, as you might guess, it's not something that I give a lot of thought to... when I create an mp3 to upload to my site, that is done at 256 Kbps.

When I export tracks out of BIAB, I always set the pan to 0 and the volume to max (127). I most often leave the reverb that is set when an instrument is loaded (although, lately I have turned it off on acoustic guitars and piano tracks to add my own later).

I do a quick mix in the DAW and copy that out to a hard disk recorder to do vocals there (a Roland VS-880EX - but the disk failed in that this past weekend - so I am in a panic about that!). I do that for 2 reasons. I like having old style buttons to push when I'm recording vocals. Record. Stop. Rewind. Record. etc... And I can record with reverb and no latency in my phones (I have not figure out if that is possible in a DAW). I use an AT 4033a condenser mic - into an Aphex 107 pre then through an Alesis 3630 compressor - those are all 20 years old. The combination gives a very warm sound... I transfer the vocals (dry) back to the DAW for mixing with the tracks...

Typical processing of tracks...
Drums - I use a Studio One preset FX Chain that includes the Pro EQ (their standard EQ - it ends up on everything) and a Multiband Dynamics (4 segment compressor). I often bump small bands of EQ to add snap to the snare or stick - I like a lot of snap to drums. I will often drop the highs some because I don't like a lot of hi-hat or ride. It is a trend in modern Country to really bury (or eliminate) the hi-hat - which I have always tried to do...

Bass - maybe a very slight compressor - often none - usually the EQ with a slight bump where it gives the bass some definition - I like to "hear" the bass playing - not a mushy bass. Often, I will drop the very low end out (EQ).

Most of the processing I do involves EQ and a lot of it is eliminating the low end (shelf) and adding a slight bump somewhere that brings out the definition of an instrument. If you pile on a bunch of RTs without removing the low EQ it can get muddy real fast.

Acoustic guitars - drop the low EQ a bunch and a wider bump of highs (so you can hear the strings)

Piano - Drop the low end out (EQ). Sometimes bump the mids, sometimes the high end. It depends on the RT. The pianos vary a lot. Some are dripping in reverb - even if you set the reverb to 0. (the older ones mostly). I have started using the MIDI SuperTracks more and more so I can control the piano sound more. I just used a TruePiano vst for a song and it was awesome!

electric guitars - often I add some hi EQ (drop some low) to get them to cut through.

I begin all mixes using headphones (ATH-M40fs). Then when I have a "finished" mix there, I listen through a pair of Yorkville YSM-1 (25 years old). They aren't well known, but were often compared to Yamaha NS-10's. They will often reveal that the headphone mix is a little muddy in some areas - so, back to the EQ setting for most of the tracks. Dropping some more lows, adding highs here and there... not always - sometimes the headphone mix sounds just right through the monitors - again, depends on the song and the combination of instruments. But a good "monitor mix" always sounds good in the phones (and elsewhere)....

I've probably left out a lot of stuff... but that's what I could think of for starters, regarding "clarity"...

Questions?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/07/14 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
"I need a touch of once upon a time." What a lyric!
Amen to that, my friend.
This is simply wonderful in every respect.
Only 12 days to go before we get to Anna Maria Island.
Let's hope that there is some "once upon a time" there.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks, Ian... always good to see you drop by! How is the hand? We were on the island last weekend for 3 days... try to make it to Duffy's for a beer and a burger (they only take cash - so bring some).

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd, Janice & Bud !:))

Well, Floyd, this is your best
so far, everything works so
beautifully on this tune !:))
and your vocals are just stellar !:))
What a love song........!!!
My sincerest gratulations !!!

Cheers
Dani

Thanks, Dani... appreciate that!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/08/14 12:18 PM
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for your extensive info. I think the HDD recorder and condensor mic are definitely a big factor in your recordings, the same goes for your mic pre-amp and compressor.
Thanks for your tips on EQ in Biab! We'll keep this in mind.
We will also check out the vst true pianos.
The sound quality of your recordings is even more surprising, since the are being compressed to mp3 for your website.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/09/14 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: nobilis
That's was an excellent song and great decision to do as a duet. +1 to the comments on, and also how well everything leads up to the "hold me close; and whisper you'll always be mine i need a touch of once upon a time." Top notch.

Patrick - Thanks for all of that. Kind of a no-brainer to ask Janice to sing this with me, eh?...

Originally Posted By: MarioD
It's all been said! Beautiful vocals and lyrics with an outstanding backing track.

You two should be very proud of this one!

Thanks, Mario... I would have to say we are... smile

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Thank you floyd for inviting me to sing on this and thanks to all you wonderful folks for the kind remarks.

Janice

Speak of the devil!... (just an expression of course)...

Janice - it is SUCH a pleasure to sing with you... or to have you sing with me... Thank You X a bazillion.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/11/14 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Floyd,

It's all been said, but this really is beautiful! Just a darn fine job. Janice sounds great too, but then I could listen to her all day. grin
Someone else mentioned the Disney movie thing and I felt the same way when I first listened.

Really Great Job!

Greg

Greg - always nice to see you around here! (haven't seen a Disney movie in a long time)... I know Janice will have appreciated that as well...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/11/14 08:30 PM
Beautiful song. Singing, lyrics, playing, harmonies excellent....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/12/14 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Could this be the Rock Ballad that I've been waiting for? Yes, I believe it is.

Proving once and for all that you can move out of the Country chart and still produce the same wonderful end product. The problem with picking this up late is that it's very hard to say anything original, so I'll just say that I've enjoyed listening to this track almost more than anything else you've done.

As usual, everything technical is just right - the recording, arrangement, mix - and then the performances are perfect.

Please let's have some more of this stuff.

ROG.

ROG - I enjoy your reviews almost as much as Noel's... So, I get to check the big-ballad-checkbox with this one? Cool. I'll try to continue mixing it up now and again... One of the great things about BIAB - it let's you stretch... a lot!

Thanks for your delightful visit!
Posted By: Fastasu Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/12/14 10:51 PM
Hi Floyd. This is my first post to you and all I can say is what a beautiful song and excellent production on this one! Every time you post I run to hear what you have done and I never have been disappointed with any of them. You have a great gift and passion for writing. Small wish. I would have liked to hear Janice do some solo work on this one or maybe one in the future. You sing a verse. she sings a verse or answers, or whatever combination you feel.You get the idea. I think it would take it to the next level. My 2 cents.
John Konkle
Posted By: Al-David Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/13/14 02:01 AM
Floyd and Janice ...

How simply beautiful! I loved the way the layers drifted in as the song progressed. And loved the "Stop!" I agree with another post that this is something you might find in a Disney movie. You have a magnificent voice, as does Janice. A fabulous vocal blend!

Definitely different but a wonderful treat! And yes, will go that post on the other forum and add our names to the list for more strings. Still in awe of this song ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Skyline Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/13/14 11:00 AM
Ok, I teared up not long into this. There, I said it.

The fact that this is a brilliant song in other respects (quality of lyric, arrangement, chord changes, lead vocal emotion, vocal harmonies, engineering, etc, etc) moves to the background when a song does the business and communicates on this level.

John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/15/14 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Beautiful song. Singing, lyrics, playing, harmonies excellent....

Scott - thanks! good to see ya back around...

Originally Posted By: Fastasu
Hi Floyd. This is my first post to you and all I can say is what a beautiful song and excellent production on this one! Every time you post I run to hear what you have done and I never have been disappointed with any of them. You have a great gift and passion for writing. Small wish. I would have liked to hear Janice do some solo work on this one or maybe one in the future. You sing a verse. she sings a verse or answers, or whatever combination you feel.You get the idea. I think it would take it to the next level. My 2 cents.
John Konkle

John - Appreciate all of that. I do love working with Janice and Bud - and we have been looking for more duets to work on... and I did consider having Janice sing one of the verses to this, but felt the song is better left as a single narrator... but we will definitely keep looking...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd and Janice ...

How simply beautiful! I loved the way the layers drifted in as the song progressed. And loved the "Stop!" I agree with another post that this is something you might find in a Disney movie. You have a magnificent voice, as does Janice. A fabulous vocal blend!

Definitely different but a wonderful treat! And yes, will go that post on the other forum and add our names to the list for more strings. Still in awe of this song ...

Alan & Di

DI & Alan - thanks, guys! It is a joy to sing with Janice... we appreciate the kind words...

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Ok, I teared up not long into this. There, I said it.

The fact that this is a brilliant song in other respects (quality of lyric, arrangement, chord changes, lead vocal emotion, vocal harmonies, engineering, etc, etc) moves to the background when a song does the business and communicates on this level.

John

John - that is one of my favorite "reviews". It doesn't get better than to be able to "touch" someone with a song... thanks for dropping by...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/20/14 02:25 AM
Howdy floyd!

I've been listening to “Do You Remember?” two or three times a week since you first posted it. It's such a great song and so easy on the ears. The emotional contour that shapes the arrangement's development is awesome. It's easy to hear that you've spent a lot time massaging this mix into shape. Also, I have to say that Janice and you continue to be a formidable and delightful force as a vocal duo.

Each time I've listened, I come away thinking that this song is a terrific testimony to your strengths across each and every aspect of writing, arranging, performing and mixing. If you were a poker player, “Do You Remember?” would have to be a royal flush. I don't think it gets any better than this!

Out of interest ...

A number of years ago, I remember reading in a songwriting book that if a lyricist wanted to create a comic effect, using the the rhyme scheme found in limericks is one way to achieve this. This caused me a bit of thinking at the time because I wasn't convinced that humour was simply the result of rhyme movement. I'd forgotten all about those thoughts until I listened to “Do You Remember?”. In these lyrics, you've elegantly addressed the above misconception that rhyme alone creates comedy. Even though your song uses the rhyme scheme found in limericks, there is no sense of the comical at all. Quite the contrary, in fact. The rhyme scheme works hand-in-glove with the music, the arrangement and the lyrics to create a very, very satisfying emotional journey. The apex of this emotional journey is the bridge and into the last chorus. It's incredibly emotive songwriting.

I also like the way that you've once again used apostrophe as a design device. My interpretation of these lyrics is that the singer is lying in bed and singing to the empty space beside him as if it were his partner. That's the 'now' of the song. As I mentioned in "Eric , Whaddaya Say” (link), apostrophe, as a lyric writing device, is a great technique for developing lyrics that ring with truth and sincerity. Twice in a row you've now showed us how to do it!

Lastly, all those “w” sounds in “when we would kiss; the world would stop” are impressive and definitely effective at sonically gluing the line together.

OK. It's back for another listen now.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. As others have already noted, and I totally agree, the line “I need a touch of once upon a time” is lyric inspiration at it's best.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/20/14 05:13 AM
This is an outstanding song, beautifully performed and produced; outstanding! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/20/14 01:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Howdy floyd!

Noel...

It always fascinates me (and pleases me) the way you so carefully listen to a song. You pick up writing nuances that few people ever notice. They, of course, should not be "noticeable" for the most part - typically only to writers who understand the use of such conventions whether naturally (not many) or "learned" (which often means "figured out" over time - but can, occasionally, be found in learning materials).

It is a delight to read your assessments, always, on the forum. You are, as they say, a gentleman AND a scholar! smile

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
This is an outstanding song, beautifully performed and produced; outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

Robert - thanks for stopping by for a listen... always appreciated..
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/22/14 01:49 AM
Hi floyd,

It's interesting that you say ...

Originally Posted By: "floyd"
... [songwriting techniques] can, occasionally, be found in learning materials.

There are so many songwriting books out there on the market but so few of them actually understand the techniques of lyric writing and even less of them understand lyric development. For the most part, what bits and pieces I've picked up over the years have come from many non-songwriting books and only three or four authors of songwriting books.

• For example, who'd have thought that Dr Robert Cialdini's book, Influence: The Psychology Of Persuasion, would contain some information that turned out to be useful in regards to writing lyrics!

Anyway, I'd better not get side-tracked. It could turn into a post that's WAY too long. Thank you for letting me exercise my grey cells on your lyrics. I very much appreciate the opportunity they give me smile

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: aleck rand Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/22/14 06:04 PM
Masterful. Sentimental and tender without being sappy. Beautiful harmonizing. Very polished. In other words,

..........................I HATE IT !!!

Come on, dude, you know I just be kiddin' around grin I don't think you're biologically capable of turning out a bad tune. Even if you tried.

Dean
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Do You Remember (w/ JM) - 09/23/14 03:19 PM
Thanks again to all of you kind folks for mentioning my small part in this. It was a pleasure!

Janice
© PG Music Forums