PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Summer Of My Love - 08/31/14 11:57 AM
Summer is almost over, but hopefully it is not too late for a girl pop song called Summer of my love
Originally I made this song in 2010, but this version sounds much better, thanks to the latest realtracks. Those synth pad realtracks fit perfectly to the mood.

RealDrums: PraiseWorshipPowerPush

RealTracks:
Bass Electric 1255
Piano Acoustic 1005
Guitar Electric 1257
Guitar Electric 1853
Guitar Acoustic Pick 407
Tenor Sax Soloist 716
Synth Pads: 1267, 2269

Vocals by Vocaloids Avanna (lead) & Sonika (background)

Mixed with Adobe Audition CC (some reverb, chorus, delay, compressor, EQ etc.)

Janne
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Summer Of My Love - 08/31/14 12:08 PM
I enjoyed your song. It's a fun, bouncy, pop song that is just right for the end of summer. Thanks for posting.

Charlie
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Summer Of My Love - 08/31/14 04:43 PM
A fun song!! Really nice distinction between verse and chorus. I like the dreamy quality of the chorus. I would bring up the voice a bit and see if you could eq it to make the lyrics easier to understand since they are clever and fun. Cool stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: RnAM Re: Summer Of My Love - 08/31/14 06:31 PM
Hello Janne,

This a really funny song.
The Vocaloid is a very cool program. We advice to maybe use a compressor on the vocal track, in order to make the words (especially the semi vowels) more audible.
Nice work!

Regards,
R & AM
Posted By: dani48 Re: Summer Of My Love - 08/31/14 07:27 PM
Hi, Janne !

I am always awed when
people get machines to
sing like humans !
I do not know how you do
it but it sounds just great
as is the tune also !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Summer Of My Love - 08/31/14 08:44 PM
Hi Danne,

This is the first song of yours I've heard. It doesn't fit into any of the stereotypes, so its hard to comment because most of my comments usually center around how a song was developed within the confines of a genre.

Having said that, I'm not an advocate of genre bondage. I like to hear people break the mold and try things that aren't copies of what others are doing. As I write this the first song song has stopped and the player flowed into another of your songs. I am very impressed by the innovation I hear in your compositions. It takes a certain mindset to consistently go to new places and make it work. And compositionally, I think you are doing exactly that.

Mix wise, however, I'd agree with others who advised trying techniques like compression to make the vocals sound clearer. The other instruments frequencies are getting into one anothers' turf, making the overall sound somewhat muddy.

Fortunately, it is far easier to polish mixing techniques than it is to learn how to write interesting and innovative songs. You have the harder thing nailed. I like your songs enough that I would pay money for a CD of them if they were mixed to my liking.
Posted By: boehm Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/01/14 04:04 PM
Hi Janne,

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
I enjoyed your song. It's a fun, bouncy, pop song that is just right for the end of summer. Thanks for posting.

I especially like the chorus. It's more natural.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/01/14 05:05 PM
Cool indeed and I wish summer was nearly over here in the SE US -- 100 degrees today. But with this song I can dream about it. Nice. I do agree regarding a touch of compression and an increase in gain on the vocal and maybe some mild reverb on the rest of the instrumentation to help them sit in with one another. Nice!!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/02/14 06:50 PM
Thanks a lot for all the comments. I'm glad to read kind words about my compositions smile Nice to get also good feedback on mixing so that I can learn to mix better and won't keep repeating the same mistakes. I don't have good room for mixing so I mix mainly with headphones and that's not good... It is true that vocals could be clearer - unfortunately computer vocalists I use are not perfect and bringing up the level would rather bring up the imperfections they have than clearer details. But I'll take your advice and try to use more compression next time. Or I'll hire a real vocalist smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/03/14 12:34 AM
Jannesan I really like the backing tracks, great groove!

My problem, and this is just me, I do not like computer generated singers. They are hard to understand and like you said when you bring them more up front it shows all of their defects. However ever I must say that this is probably the best I have heard to date so don't stop trying. Again this is just my opinion and other may or may not agree.
Posted By: plish Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/03/14 02:01 AM
I really dug this! I like the vocaloid track! I agree, a wee bit of compression on vocals might make some of the words more recognizable.

Other than that, congrats on the Honorable Mention and on this tune - well done!!
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/03/14 02:25 AM
That was very cool. I hadn't heard of vocaloid
. So for me it's both cool and fascinating. +1 to congratulations on your honorable mention.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Summer Of My Love - 09/03/14 12:04 PM
You did a fairly good job with the vocaloids. With the use of vocal processing (autotune in particular) on much of today's pop song vocalists, this fits right in. So, depending on the genre, the vocaloids can work OK.

I was thinking as I was listening that the song could have had more of a dance beat to it but, hey, it works pretty good as is.

Congrats on the honorable mention.
© PG Music Forums