PG Music Home
Posted By: PatrickH Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 03:06 AM
In response to Floyd Jane's encouragement when replying to my comment on his "Eric, Whaddya Say" tune (i.e. "About time for another from you, isn't it?") I submit....

YouTube Link added: http://youtu.be/y3XaciVXfgw

https://soundcloud.com/musingthemusic/brother-get-in-line

....a little (pity party?) love song using BIAB style as follows and mixed down with vocals added in Sonar:

Style is _BASDR_J.STY (Bare Bass and Drums(100 RS))

RealTracks in style: 515:Bass, Electric, Funk Smooth Jammin Ev 100
RealDrums in style: HipHop: a: HipHopb: HipHop

Thanks Floyd Jane for the reminder to post once in a while and thanks to all for giving it a listen and commenting etc.!

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 06:10 AM
Hi Patrick,

Very entertaining!

It's a brave man or woman who can sing so confidently against such a minimalistic backing. I don't think that I'll ever be able to do something like that! I'm very impressed. I really enjoyed the funk/jazz feel.

You have to hand it to floyd, he's pretty good at inspiring people.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 12:06 PM
Nice tune and lyrics. I enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: gibson Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 12:34 PM
Patrick,

Now THAT was interesting. Looking at the instrumentation I had no idea what to expect but YEH I enjoyed that!

Alyn
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 03:37 PM
That is interesting. Yeah, well executed, all that's really needed is bass and drums. One of my favorite tunes along this line is Black Velvet... although they do use other instruments.

Good job.
Posted By: boehm Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 04:18 PM
Hi Patrick,

Noel is right: very brave.
Enjoyable listen.
Was a little puzzled about the ending.

Guenter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Patrick,

Now THAT was interesting. Looking at the instrumentation I had no idea what to expect but YEH I enjoyed that!

Alyn

Me neither re the instrumentation...but like Alyn I liked it a LOT!
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 05:23 PM
Thanks for the listen Noel,
Re: singing against the minimalist backing. I kept going between ideas of minimalist "Fever" Peggy Lee and the synth pad bed of soundscape "Coming in the Air Tonight" Phil Collins vibe. It just kept coming back to the stripped down. I really like that groove too. I was really glad to come across it. They play with much authority. And, yes Floyd does inspire. He's got so many great tunes. -Patrick
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 05:24 PM
Thanks for giving it a spin Charlie. Much appreciated. I like the SG double-neck you got there! -Patrick
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: gibson
Patrick,

Alyn

Thanks Alyn, your writing/producing inspires me to think outside the box, prevaricate and all. I guess this is one of them. -Patrick
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That is interesting. Yeah, well executed, all that's really needed is bass and drums. One of my favorite tunes along this line is Black Velvet... although they do use other instruments.

Good job.

Thanks guitarhacker, I will give you credit in part for the minimalist choice II made. It was your signature "add nothing that adds nothing to the music" that kept coming to mind as I weighed keeping it minimal or not. Actually the "Black Velvet" seems to be right in the middle of the two ideas(Fever vs. Coming in the Air Tonight). Wish I'd thought of that! -Patrick
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Patrick,

Noel is right: very brave.
Enjoyable listen.
Was a little puzzled about the ending.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter. I have been listening to a lot of Hendrix lately to get some ideas and he did a fade out and back in at the end of Ezy Rider. Along those lines, I just brought it back in with a lo-fi effect.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/01/14 10:42 PM
Patrick,

That was a wonderful listen! Spectacular vocal - becoming the most important instrument in the mix. There was such musicality to your vocal. A pleasure to listen to - beginning to end.

Very nicely done. Guess I need to goad you a little more often..

Cool stuff.

floyd
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/02/14 02:12 AM
Patrick,
A great listen. Really enoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

SD
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/02/14 03:06 AM
Very cool!! Love the vocal effect, and I think you did it right keeping it stripped down. Great fun, live vibe!! Great job! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Sundance Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/02/14 03:34 AM
Well how fresh and cool was that!

Plus extra kudos for using the hiphop drums - I've been wanting to use those since they came out and never had anything that fit. Perfect beat for your minimalist production with the funky bass and your voice just dancing on top of it all.

Great listen.

Patrick you really sold it!

Josie
Posted By: MarioD Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/03/14 06:54 PM
This the perfect case of less is more!

Bass, drums and one fantastic vocal are all that is needed here. Anything else I think would have spoiled it for me.

Did you mean to have the short bass and drum part after the fad out or is that an oops? Personally I would have stopped at the fade out but that is just me and YMMV.
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/03/14 08:35 PM
Thanks Janice and Bud. I appreciate your taking the time to give it a listen. Still got "BottomLand" in my ears!
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/03/14 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Patrick,

That was a wonderful listen! Spectacular vocal - becoming the most important instrument in the mix. There was such musicality to your vocal. A pleasure to listen to - beginning to end.

Very nicely done. Guess I need to goad you a little more often..

Cool stuff.

floyd

Thanks for the compliments Floyd. Goad away. Thank you for that too.
Posted By: PatrickH Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/04/14 01:34 AM
Thanks Josie . I'm sure you'll find a tune to fit that groove sometime soon!

MarioD, I did want to experiment on the ending. Still a work in progress to get the dynamics and timing better. But it was fun work. Thanks for the listen.

BTW I posted a video link for the tune now up in the original post just for kicks. Thanks everybody.
Posted By: plish Re: Brother Get In Line - 09/04/14 02:37 AM
Fun funk!!! Babbababbadobopbow,
YEAH!

Good job!
© PG Music Forums